Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Furor grows as e-mails tie Chris Christie aide to bridge traffic jams

Furor grows as e-mails tie Chris Christie aide to bridge traffic jams
    A political furor surrounding Gov. Chris Christie intensified today with the release of e-mails and text messages that suggest one of his top aides deliberately created traffic jams in a New Jersey town last September to punish its mayor....

The messages were obtained by the Associated Press and other news organizations today amid a statehouse investigation into whether the huge traffic backup was retribution against the mayor of Ft. Lee for not endorsing Christie for re-election last fall.

“Time for some traffic problems in Ft. Lee,” Christie deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly wrote in August in a message to David Wildstein, a top Christie appointee on the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

“Got it,” Wildstein replied. A few weeks later, Wildstein closed two of three lanes connecting Ft. Lee to the heavily traveled George Washington Bridge, which runs between New Jersey and New York City.

The messages do not directly implicate Christie in the shutdown, but they contradict his assertions that the closings were not punitive and that his staff was not involved....

The messages “indicate what we’ve come to expect from Gov. Christie — when people oppose him, he exacts retribution. When people question him, he belittles and snidely jokes. And when anyone dares to look into his administration, he bullies and attacks,” Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz said....

Wasserman-Schultz said the new material proves that “the governor’s office ordered lane closures that were intended to make first responders experience delays, kids sit gridlocked on the first day of school, and commuters hit logjams, to punish the Democratic mayor who didn’t endorse Chris Christie’s re-election bid.”

[Ft. Lee Mayor Mark] Sokolich said that because of the traffic backup, emergency calls that average a two- or four-minute response time took up to 16 minutes.

“To me it’s appalling and I got to tell you, somebody owes a lot of people a lot of apologies,” he said. “Somebody ought to contact families waiting two, three, four times the response times when their loved ones had chest pains. Someone has to apologize to the thousands of families who couldn’t get their kids to the first day of school on time.”...

“I think this is 10 times worse than Watergate. Because this affected so many more lives and their health and safety,” [Ft. Lee Councilwoman Ila Kasofsky] said.
    Somehow I think this kind of thing happens far more frequently than we know. We need to extract these anti-civility, anti-democratic, parasitic-saboteurs-in-power before they succeed in their goal of bringing this country to its knees. I find it more and more difficult to believe that voters have truly chosen to be governed by these saboteurs.

Damage control: Chris Christie fires aide, apologizes to New Jersey in bridge scandal
    Christie, sounding subdued and chastened at times, answered questions for nearly two hours about the scandal — an issue he had once joked about by saying he himself had placed the traffic cones....

Christie's comments came amid news reports the U.S. attorney will launch an investigation into the matter. A state investigation is already underway....

Before Christie's news conference, state Sen. Ray Lesniak, D-N.J., called for a federal investigation by the U.S. attorney's office. U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., had already asked the federal Transportation Department to look into the matter.

The. U.S. attorney's office has launched an investigation.

"There's certainly reasonable suspicion that criminal acts have been involved here," Lesniak, a Democrat, said on CNN's “New Day.” "Not only abuse of governmental power for political purposes, but we have reckless endangerment of people's lives and possibly criminally negligent homicide."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Furor grows as e-mails tie Chris Christie aide to bridge traffic jamsSomehow I think this kind of thing happens far more frequently than we know. We need to extract these anti-civility, anti-democratic, parasitic-saboteurs-in-power before they succeed in their goal of bringing this country to its knees. I find it more and more difficult to believe that voters have truly chosen to be governed by these saboteurs.

Damage control: Chris Christie fires aide, apologizes to New Jersey in bridge scandal

Yes and no. Sometimes it's the elected official, other times, it's an appointed d'bag trying to prove him or herself. This particular d'bag got caught [[and apparently also using a personal email account for conducting "state business", no less). Unfortunately, we don't get to vote for the career-climber d'bags, only the boss.

From what I've read, there's no evidence tying Gov. Christie to this incident. And frankly, would Christie even expect the endorsement of a Democractic mayor? I'd hardly think so.

Shhhh, don't give Fatty Moron any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Yes and no. Sometimes it's the elected official, other times, it's an appointed d'bag trying to prove him or herself. This particular d'bag got caught [[and apparently also using a personal email account for conducting "state business", no less). Unfortunately, we don't get to vote for the career-climber d'bags, only the boss.

From what I've read, there's no evidence tying Gov. Christie to this incident. And frankly, would Christie even expect the endorsement of a Democractic mayor? I'd hardly think so.
    There may be no evidence, but Christie has a long history of using his office for retribution and I don't know anyone who was surprised at this action. This is a guy who also uses his state helicopter to attend his kid's games

^ The truly dirty rarely get any of the spit-up on themselves.

I can't disagree with that, although:
    ... an issue [Christie] had once joked about by saying he himself had placed the traffic cones.
    indicates that Christie set the tone in a way that might be indistinguishable from a wink and a nod toward an aid.

From what I've read, there's no evidence tying Gov. Christie to this incident. And frankly, would Christie even expect the endorsement of a Democratic mayor? I'd hardly think so.
    Unless Christie could pose a credible threat to metaphorically break his kneecaps. Remember, this is New Jersey. They don't call them Rethuglicans for nothing.

When they seek to benefit from acting against the interests of their own constituents, they are indeed parasitic saboteurs in power.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-09-14 at 11:43 PM.

He spent too much time toadying to Obama after the hurricane and caught a dose of the itaintmyfault syndrome. Let's hope it screws up his chances of becoming a Presidential candidate or maybe he could stand as a Democrat and use this experience to enhance his Resume.
    Last edited by coracle; January-10-14 at 08:07 AM.

OH OH! Bridgegate!!! If Christie is charge of this scandal. Goodbye presidential bid!!!! A matter of fact He should resign as governor of New Jersey.

As a total aside, I don't understand why the media and people add "gate" to a scandal. Watergate was the name of the actual hotel. That would be the equivalent of calling it the Watergategate scandal.

And frankly, would Christie even expect the endorsement of a Democractic mayor? I'd hardly think so.
    Christie's people actively sought out endorsements from many Democratic officeholders across NJ. And actually got a number of them.

They did this for 2 primary reasons, both related to Christie's presidential ambitions: 1) To "run up the score" in the NJ governor's election [[there was never any real doubt that Christie would win) in order to show how strong his organization and personal popularity were, which could attract more money to him, and 2) To show him as a candidate who could attract wide independent and even bi-partisan support, thus enhancing his "electability" credentials for a national race.

Remember that, for the Republican establishment [[not the tea party loons, who wouldn't vote for him in a primary anyway), the biggest factor in their infatuation with Christie is that he was a extremely popular Republican governor who was able to win overwhelmingly in a "blue" northeastern state. Just the type of state the GOP will have to win in order to win the presidency again.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-10-14 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    There may be no evidence, but Christie has a long history of using his office for retribution and I don't know anyone who was surprised at this action. This is a guy who also uses his state helicopter to attend his kid's games
    You want your governor spending his time in traffic? Only a stupid governor would do that.

You could get stuck in traffic, for G-d's sake.

But seriously folks, there's nothing wrong with using a state helicopter to move you around, is there? What am I missing?

Choice 1) Leave work at 3pm to get to a game by 7pm, keeping at least a couple of State Troopers busy, or,

Choice 2) Leave work at 6pm to get to a game by 7pm and get 3 more hours of work done, using a resource intended for your use.

I don't see the problem. What is a problem is that opponents see evil in everything done by people who don't agree with them. This is not the way of civilized community. I don't agree with Nancy Pelosi on much, but I only assume she's misguided.

do you have any idea what it costs to run a helicopter? I remember certain people going ape-shit when Granholm used the helicopter to take herself and the Republican state legislature leaders to the mackinaw island conference

I'm just wondering here…What If ?

What If Christie had been a Liberal Democrat, would he be demonized by the media and everyone else?

What If one of New York Governor Cuomo aides had done this, would he be demonized?

What If a Granholm appointee had done this on a Labor Day Weekend at Mackinaw, would she be demonized….or Rahm Emmanual in Chicago.

Think about it…

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post

What If Christie had been a Liberal Democrat, would he be demonized by the media and everyone else?

What If one of New York Governor Cuomo aides had done this, would he be demonized?

What If a Granholm appointee had done this on a Labor Day Weekend at Mackinaw, would she be demonized….or Rahm Emmanual in Chicago.

Think about it…
    It's not worth thinking about.
    Yes, they would be demonized. Of course they would be.

Think about it…
    that kind of abuse of power? it sure as hell would have been. And there are very few "liberal democrats." What you consider a "liberal democrat" would be considered a mainstream republican 50 years ago

Glenn Greenwald "I Would Say To Democrats IMAGINE If The NSA Was In The Hands Of Chris Christie"

Glenn Greenwald says that Democrats were vocally concerned about misuses of the NSA under Bush. A few still are.
    -part about Christie begins at 4:45
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e-F0...ature=youtu.be

Think about it…
    What an interesting question considering the answer is a resounding YES! It's also the reason why this scandal is [[almost) not covered by Foxnews.

If this goes a high as Christie himself it's an impeachable offence. Rachel Maddow had an interesting take on it. The story from a different angle.

I can sell you lies
    You can't get enough
    Make a true believer of
    Anyone
    Anyone
    Anyone

Think about it…
    Yes, of course they would, you paranoid person.

Absolutely bizarre, this conservative persecution complex.

But wait! There's more!

New Jersey mayor says Christie's staff held Sandy relief funds hostage
    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is facing new accusations of exacting revenge for political reasons after Hoboken’s mayor accused his administration of linking millions of dollars in Superstorm Sandy relief to a politically connected project.

In comments first reported Saturday by MSNBC, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer said Christie’s lieutenant governor, Kim Guadagno, pulled her aside at a May event and told her that unless the project was approved, “we are not going to be able to help you.”

At the time, the Christie administration was distributing relief funds. Zimmer — a Democrat who previously supported Christie, a Republican — had requested $100 million for Hoboken, which was devastated by the storm. The city received $342,000.

“The bottom line is, it’s not fair for the governor to hold Sandy funds hostage for the City of Hoboken because he wants me to give back to one private developer,” Zimmer said on MSNBC’s “UP w/Steve Kornacki.”

Zimmer’s recollection of her encounter with Guadagno is recorded in her diary and was quoted on the program: “She pulls me aside and says that I need to move forward with the Rockefeller project. It’s very important to the governor. The word is that you are against it, and you need to move forward or we are not going to be able to help you. I know it’s not right. These things should not be connected. But they are, she says. ‘If you tell anyone I said it, I will deny it.’ ”...
    This kind of scheme closely matches what Naomi Klein wrote about in The Shock Doctrine: The Rise Of Disaster Capitalism. They don't have to create disasters. All that's necessary is to have a plan in place to kick their opponents when they're down, exploiting even natural disasters for political gain. I guess that's the very definition of a bully.

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall." Sorry.

More Mayors Punished For Not Endorsing Christie
    "Aides close to Chris Christie shut down lanes on the George Washington Bridge last summer, the popular theory goes, as a means of revenge against a Democratic mayor who didn't endorse the governor for re-election. But other Democratic mayors may have received similar political payback.

Jersey City, N.J. Mayor Steve Fulop told the Wall Street Journal in a story published late Sunday that he's been frozen out since he opted against endorsing Christie last year. The Journal reported that Christie officials offered Fulop "new access to state commissioners, who hold the purse strings for many Jersey City services" in exchange for his support...".* The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

Christie has a thug quality that disqualifies him as a potential president. Based on his performance as governor punishing his political opponents, it is quite possible that if elected President, he would use the NSA to spy on his opponents and have the IRS tie them up in knots. We sure don't want to elect someone like that!

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Christie has a thug quality that disqualifies him as a potential president. Based on his performance as governor punishing his political opponents, it is quite possible that if elected President, he would use the NSA to spy on his opponents and have the IRS tie them up in knots. We sure don't want to elect someone like that!
    Presidents have had various law enforcement agencies or others spy on political opponents since since Washington had a spy on Adams' staff - and vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Presidents have had various law enforcement agencies or others spy on political opponents since since Washington had a spy on Adams' staff - and vice-versa.
    Watergate didn't work for Nixon. Now it's ok?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast