Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Downtown Detroit Wedding Photo Ops

I'm getting married this April at Sweetest Heart of Mary downtown and I'm starting to look around at some good places to take photos in the downtown area. Our reception is out near Selfridge Air Base so we may swing up 94 or go up Jefferson for some Grosse Point photo spots. I'm wondering where you guys think make for some really unique/intriguing photo backdrops. I've got a few in mind thus far, but I'd love input from some of you who know the city very well. My list thus far:

Guardian Building Interior
    Michigan Central Station
    Whitney Mansion
    Brush Park Mansion [[TBD)
    Belle Isle Fountain/Downtown backdrop/Belle Isle Boathouse
    Dequindre Cut Graffiti
    Woodward Ave [[backdrop of Whitney/Broderick Tower)
    Riverwalk
    Fisher Building Interior

I know some of these are "stock" wedding photo shots that photographers do, but I'm ok with some of them, I just don't wanna overdo it with them. I'm looking for some hidden gems that people will be really impressed with. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

In front of the Fox Theater is popular

Inside the main Detroit Public Library [[on Woodward, across from the DIA) would provide some nice shots [[esp if weather isn't great):

Spirit of Detroit & JL fist come to mind. Although not wedding pix, we have some wonderful family photos at Fort Wayne. I would call the Port Authority, too, to see if there are any scheduled historic ships in town around your wedding [[I assume you'd call the PA. Does anyone know if there is a source for ships being in Detroit?).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a source for ships being in Detroit?).
    Good question. I just found an interesting map at BoatNerd.com. It says it automatically updates every 10 minutes.

Congrats, Mikeg19!!

How much time will you have between the wedding and the reception? And will the pics be of just you and your bride? That would be a concern, if your time is somewhat limited, in making many stops and with more than you two.

I've seen many wedding party photos taken on the steps of the DIA in front of The Thinker as well as in the back on the steps of the DIA Theatre.

Also on the steps of St. John Episcopal at Woodward and the Fisher Fwy as well as under the Comerica Park Tiger!!

Another site to consider is the Indian Village Centennial Park. Might be in nice bloom!

The Packard Plant!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Congrats, Mikeg19!!
    I can't believe I didn't say that right away! Yes, congratulations!

Congratulations Mikeg19!

On your way to downtown or GP... you might want to stop off at the Blossom Heath park... now known as Wahby Park at Jefferson just south of 10 Mile in SCS. The park facing the Jefferson side of Blossom Heath banquet center is free access, and has a circular Greco-Roman temple, a Japanese bridge, a large pond with water features, and a half circle of Roman ruins type columns... all perfect for a wedding photo-op. Here's some wedding pics...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wahb...w=1024&bih=678

Info & park aerial shot...

http://mapofplay.kaboom.org/playspaces/10738-wahby-park
    Last edited by Gistok; January-05-14 at 03:02 PM.

Congratulations. If either of you is a fan of mid-century modern architecture or have any connection to WSU, the newly restored reflecting pool and sculpture garden of the MacGregor Memorial Conference Center [[Yamasaki, 1958) is truly a beautiful and serene setting. Also the interior atrium is stunning, IMO.

http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/8178

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Congratulations. If either of you is a fan of mid-century modern architecture or have any connection to WSU, the newly restored reflecting pool and sculpture garden of the MacGregor Memorial Conference Center [[Yamasaki, 1958) is truly a beautiful and serene setting. Also the interior atrium is stunning, IMO.

http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/8178

I actually had thought about that as well. Is it accessible to non students? If so, I'd really like to get some there possibly.

Congrats, Mikeg19!!

How much time will you have between the wedding and the reception? And will the pics be of just you and your bride? That would be a concern, if your time is somewhat limited, in making many stops and with more than you two.

I've seen many wedding party photos taken on the steps of the DIA in front of The Thinker as well as in the back on the steps of the DIA Theatre.

Also on the steps of St. John Episcopal at Woodward and the Fisher Fwy as well as under the Comerica Park Tiger!!

Another site to consider is the Indian Village Centennial Park. Might be in nice bloom!
    We will be downtown at noon and our ceremony is at 2, so we should have about 3-3.5 hours for photos before having to leave for the reception hall. I'm trying to create a path most likely originating at the MCS and working our way through downtown back to I-94 which will take us to the reception. It will be our entire wedding party, so yes, coordinating 16 people including myself and the bride will be challenging, although I believe some spots will just be the two of us. I'm thinking we can get in 5 locations depending on how long it takes. For me personally, MCS and the Guardian Building are on that short list. I'd love to do the Fisher as well. I'm just trying to figure out 2-3 more really great spots.

And to all, thank you for the congratulations on the nuptials. I've decided to break down and commit to one women forever at the ripe old age of 28

Since you're mentioning a variety of locations that are distinctly Detroit, ruined or otherwise, the Heidelberg project is right in your path.

There is one I'd love because I don't think anyone has it, but a shot up on the Penobscot observation deck. I know it's closed to the public, but I've heard you can get up there by talking to the right person. Anyone have any info on that? Does the Guardian have an observation deck? I don't think it does but I've never heard anything dispelling it.

my suggestion would be to find places uniquely detroit that doesn't look like you opened up a guide book and threw a dart. a little part of me dies every time I photograph a couple in front of the fox or comerica. get creative and be UNIQUE!

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    my suggestion would be to find places uniquely detroit that doesn't look like you opened up a guide book and threw a dart. a little part of me dies every time I photograph a couple in front of the fox or comerica. get creative and be UNIQUE!
    I agree. There will be no Fox/Comerica Park photos. I want unique things.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How about the Bouzouki Lounge?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Then why the MCS and Guardian or Fisher Buildings?

Are there any buildings or sites that are especially meaningful to you and/or your bride or your families? We sometimes commemorate a birthday or anniversary with photos taken around the D. And we look for the unusual art object or kooky sign or texture or design...

The Calder sculpture behind the DIA. The calla lilies art in Mexicantown. The Livingstone Lighthouse on the east end of Belle Isle. Eastern Market scenery. Unusual or quirky graffiti in the Dequindre Cut or anywhere. Lafayette or American Coney Island. A colorful house in Corktown or Brush Park or Midtown [[maybe on Canfield). The African Bead Museum art project [[Grand River and W. Grand Blvd).

Drive around and scope out these type of sites for some fun photos!!

What's wrong with pictures at the church? It's one of the best looking churches in the city.
    Last edited by Pam; January-07-14 at 07:13 AM.

Then why the MCS and Guardian or Fisher Buildings?

Are there any buildings or sites that are especially meaningful to you and/or your bride or your families? We sometimes commemorate a birthday or anniversary with photos taken around the D. And we look for the unusual art object or kooky sign or texture or design...

The Calder sculpture behind the DIA. The calla lilies art in Mexicantown. The Livingstone Lighthouse on the east end of Belle Isle. Eastern Market scenery. Unusual or quirky graffiti in the Dequindre Cut or anywhere. Lafayette or American Coney Island. A colorful house in Corktown or Brush Park or Midtown [[maybe on Canfield). The African Bead Museum art project [[Grand River and W. Grand Blvd).

Drive around and scope out these type of sites for some fun photos!!

No disrespect to anyone why has a wedding picture in front of the Fox or Comerica, but I've just seen so many of them. I feel like anytime someone get married downtown, the photographer just say "okay lets do the Fox sign and the giant Tiger." I want MCS, the Guardian lobby, and Fischer lobby because I don't see very many if any wedding pics there, and I also love art deco architecture. There are a few spots with some pretty cool graffiti, so we do plan on the Dequindre cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    What's wrong with pictures at the church? It's one of the best looking churches in the city.
    There will be a ton of pictures at the church. That's basically why we have to be there around 11:30 when the ceremony is at 2. It's essentially why we chose to get married at Sweetest Heart of Mary rather than our respective churches.

One of my favorite downtown views is from the middle of Shelby Street looking north. To the east, you see the old State Savings Bank [[McKim, Mead, & White), to the left, The grand , classic columns of the Comerica Bank. A block to the north, the Federal Reserve Building on one side with the Federal Building on the other. Capping the view is the Book-Cadillac Hotel. From that one spot you can take in a lot of downtown's best [[IMO) architecture.

Name:  Shelby Street.jpg
Views: 3299
Size:  43.6 KB