Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Lorax Guest

Default Monsignor Hickey's Cloister Art Gallery

Does anyone remember Monsignor E. J. Hickey's Cloister Art Musuem? Not having lived in the area in over 20 years, I remember it being somewhere on E. Grand Blvd. and was housed in a lovely stone Art Deco building. Had some interesting negotiations with Mr. Hickey. He had some great stories about how he came about some of his "treasures". Bought several things from him over the years, traded a few as well. He remained a pretty sharp negotiator as I recall, even at his advanced age. I hear he lived longer than Matheuzela.

Unfortunately, it was torn down a couple of years ago. Years ago one of the local news stations did a story on the building and Mosignor Hickey. That may have been in the late 80s or early 90s. That's all I can tell you.

I believe they had one big blow out sale just before he died. It was of course for charity and brought in a lot of money.
    He used to come over to Mother of Our Savior and hand out report cards from time to time in the 60's. If you did poorly, he would say, "too many comic books, too much TV" as handed you the less than stellar grades.
    He often strolled along Grand River when he was well into his 80's. I believe that came to an end when some jackass mugged him.
    He lived in the tower at St. Mary of Redford for years.

Lorax Guest

Thanks D, a shame he was mugged. I remember he had this amazing four-sided crucifix made entirely of light bulbs that dated to the early part of the 20th century, and was apparently used as a traveling crucifix used in tent revivals a la Elmer Gantry. It even had it's own faux-leather embossed traveling case. He said he traded it later on to a dealer at the Royal Oak Farmer's Market for some other goods. Had a chance to buy it and didn't.

Here's a magizine photo of my Mother[[in the middle of the women) and a couple of her freinds from 1960.They all seem to be going with the June Cleaver look. I have a painting from the gallery hanging in my dining room.
    Attachment 270

Monsignor Hickey

Lorax Guest

Hey JFK & D, thanks for the photos, glad to see someone else had memories of dealing with the Monsignor.

Often times returning soldiers from WWII had brought back "souvenirs" from the rubble of places like Dresden, Berlin, etc, and often donated them to the church after feeling guilty about taking them, and it formed the basis for the collection he began.

He truly loved great art in the tradition of Sister Wendy, and was quite an authority, especially in the areas of religious art.

I am sorry to hear the Cloister Building was demolished. It was one of the places I had planned to look up when I'm in Detroit end of the month.

Hickey's father was the president of J. L. Hudson Co. around the time of the death of Mr. Hudson, and later opened Hickey's in Grosse Pointe...a store that just closed. The Msgr.being non-order priest never took a vow of poverty, but donated most of his wealth to St. Mary's of Redford and other causes. He was responsible for renegotiating the loans, that the Detroit diocese defaulted on during the depression, as he told me,he knew all the bankers and their families and what were they going to do with the churches and school buildings anyway. Msgr. was a graduate of the Harvard business school before he entered seminary....a remarkable, down to earth and kind man.

I had the pleasure of talking with him for hours at the gallery and the stories of the development of Detroit and the Catholic church were truely first hand. his memory of the great growth of the city from 1900- 1950 was nothing short of fascinating. He told me a great story about Ralph Adams Cram, the famed architect who designed St. Marys of Redford and the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Paul on Woodward. At the time St. Paul's was dedicated in 1919...it seems St. Paul's was very non-liturgical or "low church" so Cram bribed the janitor who took a few coals from the furnace and add liberal amounts of incense to the 'pot', placing it near the air intake for the ductwork so at least is 'smelled Catholic' for the dedication rites. Cram was a extremely High Church Anglican and this story fits his style.

He was rewarded by the church for his work with title of Monsignor, [[Apostolic Protonotaries supernumerary-- the highest grade of monsignor found outside Rome) and was entltled to wear a mitre, which in believe he never wore, but was buried with. A true gentleman.

Monsignor Hickey from 1969 SMR graduation ceremony.

My parish was Our Lady Queen of Hope which started out as a satellite church of St. Mary's [[we finally got our "independence" in 1966). I don't know whether this is true, but my understanding always has been that the religious art on the walls of the church came from Hickey's collection.

I don't remember many specifics: the huge "lifesize" [[at least to my childhood eyes) crucifix [[scary but perhaps also intriguing?); a large painting whose subject I have completely forgotten, leaving a blurry image in my mind of something dark, Italianate, "old;" the power blue and white majolica [[I'm assuming) Stations of the Cross. But what strikes me now is the the contrast between the church building [[an undistinguished 50-eras cinder-block rectangle, basically) and the riot of color, imagery, and objects on the walls.

I sat, kneeled, and stood in their presence every Sunday for my entire childhood and every weekday at Mass before grade school. In retrospect, I realize that these images and objects were my first exposure to "art."

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    Here's a magizine photo of my Mother[[in the middle of the women) and a couple of her freinds from 1960.They all seem to be going with the June Cleaver look. I have a painting from the gallery hanging in my dining room.
    Attachment 270
    Your Mum bears a strong resemblance to June Cleaver.

Whoa...Ed Hickey? Interesting thread. In a parish of over 2,000 families, at one time, there must be a lot of Rustics out there participating in this forum. Well, here's my two cents. After the good Monsignor retired as pastor he lived in the bell tower of St Mary of Redford in a studio apartment, with institutional light green walls as I recall. I went up to visit him on occassion and actually did a photo study of him [[Kodachrome slides). At that time, well let's see, 1980 or so, he was in possession of what he deemed a rare DeVinci painting of Madonna and Child. The painting was warped and resting precariously in a frame between two small nails. He was having tests run on the subject to see if first of all it was the right time period, and then secondly, if indeed it was a DeVinci. Turns out it wasn't or Channel 7 Action News and everyother media outlet in the free world would have been on to it.

Hickey wore his black priest's cassock even in retirement; he wore it the way some of us would wear a bathrobe around the house. He also cut his own hair in retirement and often left the cuttings on the shoulders of his cassock.

Earlier as pastor he would pass out report cards in our classrooms and read the grades outloud to the class, adding sly comments to those of us who did not fair well on that card marking with something like: "...too many movies and popcorn, hey?" I think Ed Hickey saw being a priest as a job or a career where he could dabble in all the other really important things in life - art, art, and art.

Monsignor Hickey was also a Gabriel Richard nut. He was always talking about him like he was his biographer.
    Every day at 6 am or so he would be in church pacing around saying his morning prayers.

Another pic of Hickey.

Default Resurrecting an old post about Monsignor Hickey

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Does anyone remember Monsignor E. J. Hickey's Cloister Art Musuem? Not having lived in the area in over 20 years, I remember it being somewhere on E. Grand Blvd. and was housed in a lovely stone Art Deco building. Had some interesting negotiations with Mr. Hickey. He had some great stories about how he came about some of his "treasures". Bought several things from him over the years, traded a few as well. He remained a pretty sharp negotiator as I recall, even at his advanced age. I hear he lived longer than Matheuzela.
    I have just inherited a painting purchased from Monsignor Hickey in 1962 by the Ford Company. It was given to my grandfather on his retirement. It is of a praying Madonna. Does anyone remember seeing it or hearing about it? I know it is a long shot, but thought it was worth asking. What parish was he at when he had the Gallery? Any records of sales?

Monsignor Hickey was at St. Mary Of Redford from the 50's on.Name:  hickey driver's seat.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  49.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ryal View Post
    I have just inherited a painting purchased from Monsignor Hickey in 1962 by the Ford Company. It was given to my grandfather on his retirement. It is of a praying Madonna. Does anyone remember seeing it or hearing about it? I know it is a long shot, but thought it was worth asking. What parish was he at when he had the Gallery? Any records of sales?
    Wait... this is the DetroitYes site, was Madonna even born yet in 1962?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryal View Post

Monsignor Hickey was related to the founders of Hudson's. Interesting guy. Indeed, he lived a long time. He used to walk all the way from St Mary Redford to downtown.
    After his retirement, he was given permission[[ rare ) to reside at his old parish. An apartment was built for him in the Bell Tower. I think this was late 70's early 80s. He started the gallery after he retired.
    Last edited by econ expat; August-12-13 at 12:44 PM.

Attachment 270
    What elegant women. What a great photo and what a nice thread.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    Monsignor Hickey was related to the founders of Hudson's. Interesting guy. [...] An apartment was built for him in the Bell Tower.
    Thank you for resurrecting this thread... it brings back many
    memories that had "faded away" [[easy to do at my age...)

Indeed, Msgr. Hickey was a very cultured and kind gentleman
    who encouraged many forms of art in and out of church,
    including music. The organist at St. Mary of Redford was
    closely related to the famous Belgian composer Flor Peeters,
    and I took some improvisation lessons from him - in the 1960s
    IIRC. [[My 7th grade teacher [[IHM nun) was a poobah at
    SMR school, got me access to the organ and Mr. Peeters when
    parents visited Detroit.) The Msgr. occasionally "looked in" the
    choir loft, and we had a few conversations. I remember him
    as a very nice man... Some of his pictures were hung on the
    side walls of SMR, and he led me around and discussed them.
    Unfortunately, I can't recall what he said <gulps Geritol>...

What is the status of SMR today? Is it still a viable parish?
    I heard their [[large) school was closed... is that so?

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    What elegant women. What a great photo and what a nice thread.
    Thank you. My Mom[[92) and the lady to the left of her[[85) are still alive and have been friends for over 60 years. The women flanking my mother were married to Vince Sullivan and Bert Smith of Sullivan/Smith construction. They were large west side home builders in the 50's/60's and 70's. My father owned a lumber yard on Southfield south of Schoolcraft up until the mid 60's when mdot bought out his property for I-96.

Thank you. My Mom[[92) and the lady to the left of her[[85) are still alive and have been friends for over 60 years. The women flanking my mother were married to Vince Sullivan and Bert Smith of Sullivan/Smith construction. They were large west side home builders in the 50's/60's and 70's. My father owned a lumber yard on Southfield south of Schoolcraft up until the mid 60's when mdot bought out his property for I-96.
    Still living! How nice........