Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sorry Folks! This will be another La Nina Winter.

Since we have a La Nina Summer with only 5 days of 90 degree weather in July means a wild cold hard La Nina weather that will hit the northwest and northeast portion of the United States. Detroit will be affected. The western part of the U.S. a experience a roller coaster ride of air and wind chill temperatures. On week and spring-like weather follow by one week of extreme cold. In Michigan the January thaw will be delay until the later part of the month. February will be the worst!

A small clip of an arctic polar vortex will dip down to Detroit and the rest of Michigan start from west. The jet stream will further south. There will a parade of low pressure storm systems effecting from the mid-west from northwest and northeast U.S. So brace yourselves for more winter storms, blizzards, more Alberta Clippers and Nor-Eastern galore every 2 weeks from January to mid-March.

Don't panic folks. By April cool to warn weather will come early. But La Nina will be hanging in the South Pacific for a couple years.

Thank- you global warming!

The temps for early next week are scary. Stay safe and warm everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    The temps for early next week are scary. Stay safe and warm everybody.
    Complete with a low of -30 with windchill...this will be the coldest Detroit has gotten since 1872!

Is this why it's soooo dry in San Diego~ must rain...it must rain...

Why I remember the winter of '65 and the January storm that buried us.. this ain't jack!!

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    Why I remember the winter of '65 and the January storm that buried us.. this ain't jack!!
    10 inches is just a dusting around here.

FWIW, the coldest day of the year here has been January 23rd according to Weather.com. I plan to celebrate. It starts to get better from there.

Maybe the cold weather is cyclical.

If the Planet's Warming, Why Is It So Damn Cold?

http://news.discovery.com/earth/weat...old-140103.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill07073 View Post
    Maybe the cold weather is cyclical.

If the Planet's Warming, Why Is It So Damn Cold?

http://news.discovery.com/earth/weat...old-140103.htm

Because of global warming simple, for over billions of years Earth went through 2 snowball ice ages due continental and oceanic shift to the poles. Disruption of saline oceanic current that carries warm water from the equator to north and south poles will trigger global cooling. Billions of years later as continents shifts so does the oceanic temperatures. Increase levels of carbon dioxide and later methane in the atmosphere ended 2 snowball earth eras.

The moon's quick withdraw from the Earth slow down oceanic tides making temperatures shift.

Fast forward to the beginning of Cretaceous Period, the Earth's continents has begun to split into 7 land masses; disrupting oceanic and atmospheric currents that carries warm water to the poles. Development of 2 weather phenomenons 'El Nino' and 'La Nina' were formed from other hyper oceanic phenomenons from once Panthalassic and Tethys Oceans causing the Earth and continents to mega hothouse, increase Para-Tropical winters in Siberia and increase atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. Today these 2 oceanic phenomenons resides at the South Pacific and time to time they will exchange their paths causing oceanic and atmospheric temperatures to shift on continents to another.

The beginning of several ice ages that reshape continental landscapes started after K-T Apocalypse that wiped out the dinosaurs. When the Earth warmed up to a instant hot house from carbon dioxide levels producing the explosion of plants and mammals, millions of years later the separation of South America and Australia from Antarctica cause the wild exchange of 2 weather phenomenons. This will disrupt warm saline oceanic currents and more production of freshwater into global oceans from its continental mountain ranges. The formation of the gulf stream will also be interrupted pushing warm oceanic waters back to equator and thus northern hemispheric global cooling begins while the 7 continents pushing northward.

This will follow by a series of 'little ice ages' that last from A.D. 900 to A.D. 1900. The industrial revolution of the 1700s that started in England plus the explosion of Mt. Krakatoa in the East Indies put end to that era.

Now we are modern era when Human rule the world, international and corporate industries are putting more carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses into Earth's atmosphere. The amount of CO2 right now in the air is over 400ppm. First time in 650,000 years, THAT'S TOO MUCH!!! This kind of man-made global warming will cause El Nino and La Nina to go into wild exchange, polar ice caps from both antarctic and arctic poles will melt. More production of freshwater from the north and south poles will not only raise oceanic levels but also disrupt saline oceanic currents that supports the gulf stream and thus global cooling will begin. This time it will last over 10 million years.

That is why we need to slow down of our production right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

This will follow by a series of 'little ice ages' that last from A.D. 900 to A.D. 1900. The industrial revolution of the 1700s that started in England plus the explosion of Mt. Krakatoa in the East Indies put end to that era.
    The "Climactic Optimum" of warm weather lasted until about 1100 [[and produced the Viking Age. This era of warm weather ended when the world entered the "Little Ice Age" which lasted till about 1850.

As far as the current cold weather, you have to look at it this way, Obama promised in 2008 that he would fix "Global Warming" and this is evidence that he has delivered on his promise.

Two words for all you homeowners: ROOF RAKE, especially if you own a bungalow.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    Two words for all you homeowners: ROOF RAKE, especially if you own a bungalow.
    Or roof heater cables. Ours are on now. It's such a relief not to worry about ice dams anymore.

I believe Danny is a brilliant weather interpreter!

My only advice is, over the next few days, keep your tongues off the flagpoles.

Is the moon really receding away from the earth? And is this really impacting weather? I'm serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is the moon really receding away from the earth? And is this really impacting weather? I'm serious...
    The moon is in an elliptic orbit around the earth. Sometimes it is closer and sometimes further away. The gravitic pull of the moon thus waxes and wanes with the distance from the earth. The most notable effect of this is in tidal variation, but it can also affect weather systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The moon is in an elliptic orbit around the earth. Sometimes it is closer and sometimes further away. The gravitic pull of the moon thus waxes and wanes with the distance from the earth. The most notable effect of this is in tidal variation, but it can also affect weather systems.
    And pregnancies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

In addition to the comments about the orbit of the Moon being elliptical - the Moon is receding from the Earth at about the distance of 1 inch per year. An interesting fact, but not enough to disturb weather patterns here on Terra Firma [[at least not yet) =)

the blizzard of 1992 and 1999 were two of the worst that i remember

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    ... the Moon is receding from the Earth at about the distance of 1 inch per year. An interesting fact,...
    Really? That is interesting. Do we know how long the Moon has been doing that? From where does the energy come to do so?

Sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Because of global warming simple, for over billions of years Earth went through 2 snowball ice ages due continental and oceanic shift to the poles. . . .

This kind of man-made global warming will cause El Nino and La Nina to go into wild exchange, polar ice caps from both antarctic and arctic poles will melt. More production of freshwater from the north and south poles will not only raise oceanic levels but also disrupt saline oceanic currents that supports the gulf stream and thus global cooling will begin. This time it will last over 10 million years.

That is why we need to slow down of our production right now!
    I'm glad someone on DetroitYes has global warming [sic] [[climate change) and the climate in general all figured out. For fifteen years I've been reading Nature, Science, Journal of Climate, Climate Dynamics, etc., only to be befuddled by the ever changing models and predictions. First it was the coming Ice Age, then Global Warming, now Climate Change. Funny how each theory changes only after the hypothesis is proven false by contemporary data [[that which isn't falsified).

I was beginning to think it was all just a control-and-tax scheme. To think I only had to read more DetroitYes to be fully informed.

Well, back to shoveling- if it would only warm up a little so I don't flash freeze my cheeks in the -24 wind chill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Really? That is interesting. Do we know how long the Moon has been doing that? From where does the energy come to do so?

Sincerely.
    http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=124

Would you say this retreat is noticeable in comparison photos from early photography up thru present?

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    In addition to the comments about the orbit of the Moon being elliptical - the Moon is receding from the Earth at about the distance of 1 inch per year...

Oh, cool! Thank you very much. Now I understand it's parasitizing energy from the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Sincerely.
    here is a nice explanation:

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=124

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast