Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rick Snyder/Orr to keep control of Detroit Police.

Because of Orr's ...um... law enforcement expertise...?

Interesting.

All complaints of future abuse/neglect/atrocities will be directed to the appropriate one responsible.

Are they still yrying to get their hands on the police pension?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    They're not trying to get their hands on the existing pension fund... they just may refuse to add money to make it fully fund existing/future pensions.

the big 150-cop arrests of probation violators will continue! photo-ops for everyone!

how else do you think they will jingle keys for people to look at while they rob the city blind? gotta have some 'positive' news while the pensions, DIA, bankruptcy and stuff is going on.

How much law enforcement experience does Mike Duggan have? How much did Dave Bing have? Kwame Kilpatrick?

Duggan was Wayne County prosecutor from 2001 to 2003 , so presumably he worked with police.

It's not like it matters

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    It's not like it matters
    It doesn't matter. The Detroit police has been in shambles for the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    Duggan was Wayne County prosecutor from 2001 to 2003 , so presumably he worked with police.
    And Kevin Orr is a lawyer who formerly worked for the Department of Justice. But neither one of them has any formal police experience, which I wasn't aware was required as a prerequisite to be the top civilian oversight for the police department. Orr's not running day-to-day DPD operations, now is he?

And it's not like this criticism was ever leveled against Bing, who as a former NBA player and businessman had even less legal experience than either Orr or Duggan.

It just seems like a silly and baseless criticism to level against Orr. Like only former cops should be permitted to run the city? People who run large cities either as a Mayor or EMF typically aren't subject matter experts in every single department they exercise oversight over. I bet Orr has no expertise in trash removal either or public transportation and yet those are city functions too.

so, in the long run, does Craig see himself as a state employee? When does local accountability come in at all? This is... bizarre...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I'm unclear on what you mean...

[[1) What do you mean "still" trying? No one is trying to get their hands on the police pension now, let alone "still".

[[2) Even if that were true, what would the Police Chief have to do with it? The police pension is controlled by the trustees of the Police and Fire Retirement System, whom -- I believe -- are elected by the residents of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'm unclear on what you mean...

[[1) What do you mean "still" trying? No one is trying to get their hands on the police pension now, let alone "still".

[[2) Even if that were true, what would the Police Chief have to do with it? The police pension is controlled by the trustees of the Police and Fire Retirement System, whom -- I believe -- are elected by the residents of the city.
    Pretty sure that post was sarcasm.

Could be wrong.

So then we can lay everything bad that happens in this town vis a vis crime at the feet of Orr.

I'm sure Orr would be more than happy to answer questions regarding police matters during his public conferences, right?

Ooops, sorry. I forgot a Dictator really doesn't have to answer to the public for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    So then we can lay everything bad that happens in this town vis a vis crime at the feet of Orr.

I'm sure Orr would be more than happy to answer questions regarding police matters during his public conferences, right?

Ooops, sorry. I forgot a Dictator really doesn't have to answer to the public for anything.
    And that brings us back to Mao.