Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Silverbell Hideout

Is their any pictures of the Silverbell Hideout Teen Club building that exists which was located near Bald Mountain Road? Does anyone know where I can find a picture. I have been to Motor City Achives, Lost Venues etc. Thanks.
    Last edited by Metalhead; January-01-14 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    Is their any pictures of the Silverbell Hideout Teen Club building that exists which was located near Bald Mountain Road? Does anyone know where I can find a picture. I have been to Motor City Achives, Lost Venues etc. Thanks.
    Was it near Lake Orion? According to Google Maps, the only Bald Mountain Road I could find that was anywhere near Detroit was one near Lake Orion and I'm nearly not familiar with that area at all [[closest I've come to that area was Great Lakes Crossing), since I'm stuck way on the opposite side of the metro.

Was this one of Punch Andrew's clubs? If so you maybe thinking of The Chalet. It's been 45 years since I saw a show there so I couldn't place it for you, but that might be the place you're thinking of.

The Lost Venues list on Motor City Music Archives shows it to be on Bald Mountain Road in Clarkston, and the show list doesn't line up with the New Years Eve show I'm thinking of, so no, it isn't The Chalet.

I don't know if this is related, but it seems as if it might be:
    http://milsap.wordpress.com/regions/...ea-lake-orion/
    On Dec. 20, 1969, the Silverbell Ski Lodge in Pontiac [[sic) was scheduled to host a concert featuring Fleetwood Mac, backed by [[among other groups) Pink Floyd. Steve Burrows, who played keyboard for the Mushrooms remembers playing at Silver Bell. Bob Seger apparently played Silver Bell several times in 1967-69. At least one person remembers Silver Bell as being on Bald Mtn. Rd. which would agree with Ms Gursin’s booklet.

This sounds about right. The description of “Bald Mountain Road., west of the road. This is about 1000 ft. south of Dutton Rd.” is where the ski lodge was. We use to go off roading there during high school in the 1990’s when there were still remains of the ski lodge. Downstairs there were old lockers and upstairs was wood framed. At the time, I remember hearing from friends parents who grew up in the area that they would see bands like Bob Seger play there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I don't know if this is related, but it seems as if it might be:
    http://milsap.wordpress.com/regions/...ea-lake-orion/

Yes is was the old Ski Lodge. Then known in the Township of Pontiac. I was just looking for a picture. That would probably be Lake Orion. I see that alot of bands played there. Just trying to get a visual.

I caught the original Fleetwood Mac there [[67 or 68) back when they were a great blues band. Kirwin, Green and Spencer- a fun night!

No Pictures?

I remember going to what I think was referred to as the Silver Lake Ski Lodge in the winter of 68-69 or 69-70. It cost $3.00 to get in [[to the basement) and I know the opening band was Third Power. The main act was either Bob Seeger, Mitch Ryder, or SRC. Don't remember where exactly where it was, but it was a long way from Dearborn.

Does anybody remember the Backseat Saloon on Lapeer Rd.?
    That was my go to place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Does anybody remember the Backseat Saloon on Lapeer Rd.?
    That was my go to place.
    I used to go there at least once a week in '74-'75. They had a band that played on Sunday nights that was out of this world. The lead singer's name was Dave Alexander, but I can't remember the bands name. They played a version of "Moondance" that would knock your socks off.

I remember The Back Seat Saloon in Kego Harbor!!!!...Great music 70-82!!!...Neil Woodward , Irish&Eversole,...Whaler

This was a great club. I saw many local bands there. I remember Teegarten and Van Winkle played frequently. I saw the Who there on there first US tour. Sat on the stage and brought home a piece of a smashed Super Beetle amp and a broken drum stick.

Do not ever remember The Who there!!!!!..Whaler
    http://www.theconcertdatabase.com/artists/who

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    I remember The Back Seat Saloon in Kego Harbor!!!!...Great music 70-82!!!...Neil Woodward , Irish&Eversole,...Whaler
    I was at the Backseat in Keego in the early 90's once or twice. Saw the above-mentioned Dave Alexander there. Do you remember him at all? Or a band that did kind of soft rock/bluegrassy music with two girls who sang leads and two guys who also sang and played guitar? One of the big songs for one of the girls was "Silver Thread and Golden Needles" and the other one I remember was "Since I Fell for you"

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I was at the Backseat in Keego in the early 90's once or twice. Saw the above-mentioned Dave Alexander there. Do you remember him at all? Or a band that did kind of soft rock/bluegrassy music with two girls who sang leads and two guys who also sang and played guitar? One of the big songs for one of the girls was "Silver Thread and Golden Needles" and the other one I remember was "Since I Fell for you"
    I was long gone by then...Thought it was torn down by then...I know they have a Back Seat Concert reunion every holiday season at a place down the road!!!...Ray Goodman puts it on every year !!!!...Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    I was long gone by then...Thought it was torn down by then...I know they have a Back Seat Concert reunion every holiday season at a place down the road!!!...Ray Goodman puts it on every year !!!!...Whaler
    The Back Seat in Keego is still standing. I think it became Brewski's or something. I was actually talking about a band that played back in the late 70's, not the 90's and at the Back Seat in Lake Orion, which has been torn down

I was pretty familiar with Lake Orion in the 1980s/90s and I don't recall anything about the Hideout-- or even its remnants. There wasn't a whole lot to do around there back then so I would have thought we would have explored what was left of any old place like that. Guess I missed out.

Not sure about Brewski's in Keego, but there was a Brewski's on Lapeer Road in Lake Orion in the late 90s. I think it was called Donelli's previously. It later went through a few names [[Wooden Eagle?) and is now called "G's Pizzeria" IIRC.

http://www.theconcertdatabase.com/ve...erbell-hideout

Here's a list of the musical acts that played the Silverbell.
    Last edited by eno; January-22-14 at 12:17 AM.