Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wings/Leafs Alumni Showdown

I didn't get a chance to see it, but was Ted Lindsay actually on skates for the game? I know Gordie Howe was listed as a "coach" on the roster, but Lindsay was shown as a forward.

And anyone have any thoughts on the game?

Lindsay and Howe dropped the pucks for the 2nd game, I think it was. They were on skates but didn't play. Lindsay seemed more aware and steadier on his feet than did Howe. Gordie's son was helping him get around.

It's hard to believe, but Gordie Howe was playing NHL hockey in the early days of the Truman administration.

Last March for Gordie's birthday at JLA, there was writing in the papers that he was having pretty common episodes of dimentia or Alzheimers. Mark referenced an incident, that month, were Gordie put on his jacket and was headed out the door. Before he could make it too much further, Mark [[or one of the boys) asked him where he was going. He was going to Sid's house.

I watched during the ceremonial puck drop the other day, as ole #9 looked like he wasn't content with dropping the puck, but headin over to his spot on the wing.

And Terrible Ted was looking rather aged as well. I used to see him out coaching his grandkids team, when my kids would play against them in the 90s. He was still pretty involved. He would have been in his 70s then.

They are both approaching their late 80's, and no, neither had their skates on. Johnny Bower is 93, and was on the Leafs bench in the 15 degree weather as a coach.

The older Leafs received a pretty warm reception from the all the fans that afternoon. It was a pretty good time.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; January-02-14 at 11:05 PM.

I played for and against Howe's sons since I was about 6 years old, so I know Gordie a bit. It was tough to see him that way at the alumni game. Probably not to many more chances to see him in public. Kocur stepping on the ice in Probert's jersey brought a tear to my eye as well.

Hey Riv, did you ever play at Winter Wonderland on Schoolcraft? I grew up walking distance from there around the time it closed and always heard rumors of the Wings, the Howe kids, etc. Any credence to any of these?

I played at Winter Wonderland a lot in squirt and pee wee hockey. The Howe boys played there as squirts for the Olympia Agencies team. No matter how cold it was outside, it was always colder in that building. When did it close and is the building still there?

Closed in the late 70s. Building was a roller rink for a long time. Not sure if it still is. Still standing though.

My Uncle was an usher at Olympia and I was lucky enough to go to a few games. I once stood in the hall as Gordie and others passed by between periods man with skates on they were flippin' giants to a ten year old kid.. great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    My Uncle was an usher at Olympia and I was lucky enough to go to a few games. I once stood in the hall as Gordie and others passed by between periods man with skates on they were flippin' giants to a ten year old kid.. great memories.
    Big time this. I used to hang in the hallway to get autographs between periods & end of the game. Bert Marshall was a rookie defenseman who stood around 6-5, plus skates. I wasn't even a teenager yet. Absolutely giants.

I knew Gordie was going senile from other articles, first time I saw him being "aged". He did hold his own for a good long time. 86 yrs young this March.

Btw, your usher uncle......was his name Gordie?