Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Concert of Colors

Went to the concert of colors last night. Nice jam at the end. We have some great local talent. The Layabouts were the first to perform in the Don Was jam.Cool to see the aging rock and rollers and punk rockers getting down with the up and comers. The Diversity stage featured world music. Holiday market catering and Russel street deli fed the hungry crowd. Roasted almonds were sold in a booth next to a bar which featured overpriced drinks. Street performers playing on the sidewalk were an added feautre with the outside displays. Anyone attend or plan on attending today?

terryh: You are correct when you state that "We have some great local talent."

Concert Of Colors was always on our list of summer events that require attendance. This year, we have been forced to cut back. Despite the free shows, we usually tend to spend too much money on food, beverages, etc.
    Good to see the old Layabouts played, though. We hope all who attend have a good time.

Really enjoyed the whole night..Everything blended well..Scott Morgan and Powertrain was Full of energy...Fun to see New and Old

Great shows. I liked the Layabouts and Scott Morgan's Powertrain the best. Stephen Goodfellow came out FIRED UP and belting. I think he set the tone. Powertrain's guitars were mighty and melodic. Hard to believe - they usually overpower the melody, probably by design. Sir Mack Rice was good but the sound system did him no justice. I didn't get Question Mark doing 'Stand By Me'. His voice wasn't up to it. Nor was his stage presentation. I'm not knocking him - it just didn't click. 'Stand By Me' deserves more grit and soul than he seemed able to put into it. Thornetta Davis' voice was incredible, as usual. She should've sang lead on 'Stand By me'. Regardless, it was a great show. And, I'm sure that had everyone a chance to do more tunes, they would've shined on each one. This is a great event that should continue every year. I forgot to mention Paul Carey's guitar work toward the end. He also came out FIRED UP! I've seen him more than a few times lately with RJ and at Lyman's wake. As good as he is, he more often than not is quite laid back, letting his guitar do all the talking. Not last night. He was gittin' down. Not too many better players around than Carey. Can you believe a concert like this for free? I was looking around for a passed hat to drop a few bucks in.

Cheers, absolutely! A great time to be had for free...Aaron Neville put on quite a show today, and for what I caught of Dick Seigell's show it was quite good, too.

What a great and loving crowd. This is Detroit, we need to insure this festival happens next year, it may just be the first socio-economic series to happen...owned by the populace that attends it...I'm all for it.

Great to meet everyone...Skipper and Whaler, too. Good times...

Yeah Gannon, it was good to meet you also. We need to hang and have a few beers and talk. I'll be talking to our mutual friend we discussed, this week. I'll say 'Hi' to Jim from you and you say 'Hi' to Jim for me. Got it? Okay. Best to you.

Glad to hear that Thornetta and Paul gave great performances, as usual. When Paul gets in the zone, the audience is in for a treat!
    We'll make it next year, for sure.

Every now and then, Detroit surprises me and brings a bit of home to me. This festival is wonderful. One of the few times that the city feels like I wish it was, diverse [[my opinion). Salsa makes people want to move and is one of the few dances where strangers just start dancing with each other and individuals dance with no partners. ¡Maravilloso!

FYI- this year they allowed people to bring their own food if they wanted, just not into the Max. Apparently, they listen to feedback. Maybe we can ask for more reasonably priced food . Hope to catch more acts next year.

Q: Can I bring my own food and drink to either location?
    A: Yes! For 2009 we have altered our policy on coolers, picnic baskets, or beverage containers to allow concertgoers to bring their own food and beverages to the Orchestra Place Lawn only [[not inside the Max M. Fisher Music Center).

Attachment 2407

Attachment 2408

Attachment 2409

Attachment 2410

Lugo, more, more, please.