Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Garbage Collection Service ?'s

Anybody know any details about the upcoming new garbage collection? Start date? I think it was May. Will the new company be providing containers or will we have to buy our own? For example, a relative lives in Southfield with Waste Management service. They have to buy their own cans from Home Depot, Lowes, the hardware store, etc. They can only be small ones, 13 gallon size I think.

I live over by Dearborn [[Aviation,Tireman-Wyoming) and they used to have Waste Management but now have Republic and each residence was issued two cans, 1 for garbage, the other for recycle? Don't know how their bulk pickup is scheduled, every week?, biweekly? Service is on time whereas our service is maybe Wed. or Thurs. Pick up times vary 2:30 in the afternoon one week, 10:30 pm the next. You never know when they'll come. I read about folks hearing garbage trucks going down the streets/alleys in the middle of the night for pickup.

My container's lid has broken off completely, and I'm not crazy about paying the city $40.00 for a replacement. I was hoping it would last until the new service begins but a few weeks ago a neighbor over loaded my container with their extra bags and it broke off this week. The lid was still hanging up until then.

Also, I checked the city's website for bulk days. You'd get the notice with the bulk pick up days for the whole year but only two days are listed for my area, Wed., 3/12 and Tues. 6/10 for 2014. I'm guessing the new service will be in place for bulk pick up and additional dates will be forthcoming. Sorry to be so long. Thanks for any insight.

Are you expecting the City of Detroit to buy you garbage cans?

What I do know is two companies will be taking over trash collection. Rizzo Environmental Services [[of Sterling Heights) will service the NE half of the city, while Advance Disposal Services [[or Florida) will service the rest of the city. Recycling will also be available for everyone in the city. Last I heard, the estimated time period for the transition would be May 2014, but that may have changed. Not sure if we're getting new trash cans and recycle bins, but we should [[these old ones are falling apart).

Poetic justice is Detroitnerd having to pay Rizzo to collect his/her rubbish.
    Last edited by coracle; December-29-13 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Poetic justice is Detroitnerd having to pay Rizzo to collect his/her rubbish.
    Now THAT'S a good one!!!

Thanks 313WX for responding. I know folk have put out containers with no lids loaded with garbage.

This was the original container issued to my address back in the 80's? when we got them. All I remember is I came home from work and there it was sitting in my driveway with a bill for $20.00 [[placement fee?) and a pre-addressed envelope to the city to mail it in taped to the lid.

No problem. And then for those who care, the workers hired by the city of course will lose their jobs and union benefits/seniority, but they will have first dibs at the openings with the contractors [[with a slightly higher starting wage than what they were earning). What will happen with the Incinerator is TBD.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-30-13 at 10:06 AM.

I hope there is a big public information push to inform residents about what is happening, rather than just abruptly changing over to the new service format.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I hope there is a big public information push to inform residents about what is happening, rather than just abruptly changing over to the new service format.
    Based on the way those in charge have been doing things so far [[streetlights, Belle Isle lease, that downtown power shutdown this past summer, etc.), I'm betting they're going to also try and make this a quiet but smooth transition. This way, everything will already be in place before the "protesters" get wind of what's happening. They've begun hanging those cheap-looking street lamps [[see the ones along Van Dyke) around my neighborhood [[NE Detroit) they've been promising.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-30-13 at 10:13 AM.

If someone permanently "borrows" your garbage can and you file a police report, I'm pretty sure they give you a new one for free.

I bought one a couple years ago since I was honest about my own accidental annihilation of mine, may it rest in peace. The new one was brand-spanking new and came in about a week. Not bad for forty bucks, really.

Trash pickup has been late several times this year for the first time I can remember, which sucks. It leads already lazy people to leave out their garbage cans eternally. I'm okay with change.

I've also heard rumors that these companies are going to do MONTHLY bulk pick up. If that's true, I hope Orr made that contract iron clad, because the price of the contracts will go up as soon as they see how much garbage we have here for them in the D.

Will the firms collecting in Detroit use land fills or take loads to the Detroit incinerator? I thought that one of the two firms was in the land fill business.
    However, the firm with the contract to operate the Detroit incinerator recently signed a long term contract to supply energy to the GM Hamtramck plant. That firm must have some guarantee about a source of trash to burn. Some time ago Toronto trash was burned in the Detroit incinerator. Does that continue?

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Will the firms collecting in Detroit use land fills or take loads to the Detroit incinerator? I thought that one of the two firms was in the land fill business.
    However, the firm with the contract to operate the Detroit incinerator recently signed a long term contract to supply energy to the GM Hamtramck plant. That firm must have some guarantee about a source of trash to burn. Some time ago Toronto trash was burned in the Detroit incinerator. Does that continue?
    Sure hope so. I respect the valid environmental concerns of today -- but also want us to get to a very clean, efficient, environmentally sound future. Somebody's got to deal with trash disposal. Better we use our incinerator as much as possible. Then we can afford to upgrade in the future. Environmentalism based on zero tolerance today and NIMBY is selfish. We need to do the best for our children, too.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    If someone permanently "borrows" your garbage can and you file a police report, I'm pretty sure they give you a new one for free.

I bought one a couple years ago since I was honest about my own accidental annihilation of mine, may it rest in peace. The new one was brand-spanking new and came in about a week. Not bad for forty bucks, really.

Trash pickup has been late several times this year for the first time I can remember, which sucks. It leads already lazy people to leave out their garbage cans eternally. I'm okay with change.
    Poobert.

I'll send in the money for a new container this week. A relative who lives nearby had to replace their's last year and a new one was brought out the next week after they received the money. My request for a new container and it's delivery may be delayed since it's the holiday.

To whom it may concern; Rizzo's coming to town. [[not sure if it's Frank).