Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Jim Caldwell Hired - Who Should Coach the Lions in 2014?

UPDATE 2: Jim Caldwell Hire as new Lion's Coach

Jump Link to Hiring Post >>

UPDATE: Jim Schwartz Fired as Lion's Coach

Jump Link to firing posts >>

My vote is for Kliff Kingsbury. A little young, but promising. Besides, since the Lions are going to be terrible anyway, we might as well get a handsome coach.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=klif...w=1092&bih=532

I would love to see Bill Cowher, but I have a feeling he won't leave the broadcast booth. Too bad the Harbaughs wouldn't leave their current gigs. I would love Mark Dantonio, but I would never, ever want him to leave the Spartans. Ever.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; December-29-13 at 03:16 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Wayne fonts,

I don't want a college coach who is untested in the NFL. They end up being busts more often than brilliant. as far as commentators leaving the booth to coach, Jimmy Johnson would be the best bet. There have been a few times this season - both at the beginning of the season and the last few weeks - where he has made comments along the lines of "any coach would like to have the talent on this team" and "I've been to the Super Bowl with less talent than the Lions have" [[those are paraphrases, the last from either last week or the week before).

I love Jimmy Johnson, but I think there is zero chance of him coaching again. College coaches are always a risky bet, but I think they have a greater chance at brilliance than career off/def coordinators do. And they can be good builders, not just good game time play callers. And, I am not sure at this point that Wayne Fonts would be a bad choice. Certainly the nicest guy. But he didn't drive the team.

No need to hire "retread coaches" like Cowher, Johnson, L Smith, Gruden etc.. It's not like they would come here anyway. Get a young coach that has fresh ideas and principles. Bill O'Brian at Penn St is a hot name going around. Not suggesting him per se, but someone similar.

Cowher, I think, still has a lot of good coaching years ahead of him, unlike some others you list. Not too old, in good health. He's high energy. I suspect O'Brian signed on to rebuild Penn State for the long haul, so he's probably out.

Do you think Ford should fire Jim Schwartz and hire Alan Mulally to coach the Lions in 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    No need to hire "retread coaches" like Cowher, Johnson, L Smith, Gruden etc.. It's not like they would come here anyway. Get a young coach that has fresh ideas and principles. Bill O'Brian at Penn St is a hot name going around. Not suggesting him per se, but someone similar.
    I'd be happy with O'Brian. Someone willing to get in Brady's face when he screwed up would be great for Stafford

O'Brien would be a good choice but it looks like he is going to Houston. I am really not in favor of any NFL retreads. Chip Kelly of the Eagles has shown that a college coach with new ideas and no NFL experience can come in and do well. The Lions would do well to at least look at.. Shaw from Stanford, Malzahn from Auburn, Briles from Baylor, Kelly from ND. The Lions have a history of being offensively predictable and some new blood might serve them well. Remember also that Harbaugh from the 49ers and Carroll from the Seahawks both came from the college ranks even though it was Carroll's second time around.

Smogboy as Head Coach, Thruster as Defensive Coach. They would do a lot better, just on enthusiasm, alone.

GUSHI Guest

Tony dungy,would be my 1st choice. He knows what it means to be a lions fan.

Tony Dungy would be a good choice, with a reservation or two. First, he is going on his sixth season out of coaching [[although unlike someone like Jimmy Johnson, I think he is still up to the job). Second, he is a long term franchise builder. That is generally a good thing. But it would probably be a few years before a quality Dungy-esque team emerged. And while I don't think he's terrible, Matthew Stafford is no Peyton Manning. Tony Dungy leading the Stafford Lions is not Tony Dungy leading the Manning Colts.

It needs to be someone who can consistently strategize and put together much more aggressive offensive and defensive plays. His lieutenants can’t undermine him. It needs to be someone who can enforce discipline, on even the highest-paid players.

Another name in the rumor mill is Ken Whisenhunt, the OC of the Chargers. He use to be the Steelers OC before he got the Arizona Cardinal's job and took them to the SB with Kurt Warner at QB, even though they lost to Pittsburgh I believe.

Now, it's offical...Good bye, Jim Schwartz.

Whisenhunt, Gruden or O'Brian. I'd be pleased with one of those.

Good luck to him. He wasn't what the Lions need, but he's not a bad person or even a bad coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Good luck to him. He wasn't what the Lions need, but he's not a bad person or even a bad coach.
    From what I have read about him he comes off as arrogant, smartest guy in the room type of coach. He had problems listening to [[getting along with) the front office folks, which is probably why he got fired and Mayhew kept his job.

Not Whisenhunt, on December 31, 2012 he was fired after 3 straight non-playoff seasons & his record in Arizona was 45[[W) & 51[[L) for a .469% losing percentage. Also in 2012, the Cardinals proceeded to lose 9 straight games and in week 14 were blown out by the Seahawks by 58-0.

Who does he remind you of [[Schwartz)

You can only be a wise guy or smart ass [[and get away with it) if you win games.
    He's lucky he's got a year left on the contract. No one will hire him to be a head coach now.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    From what I have read about him he comes off as arrogant, smartest guy in the room type of coach. He had problems listening to [[getting along with) the front office folks, which is probably why he got fired and Mayhew kept his job.
    I was trying to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I had dinner two weeks ago with someone who works in the front office and has for the last five coaches. Schwartz has a poor reputation as a hands-off coach who sits in his office and dictates, doesn't relate to his players at all on their level and only listens to his staff when they agree with his perspective. No one upstairs will be sad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by 9606 Prest View Post
    Do you think Ford should fire Jim Schwartz and hire Alan Mulally to coach the Lions in 2014?
    Sounds like a plan to me...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I don't want a college coach who is untested in the NFL. They end up being busts more often than brilliant. as far as commentators leaving the booth to coach, Jimmy Johnson would be the best bet. There have been a few times this season - both at the beginning of the season and the last few weeks - where he has made comments along the lines of "any coach would like to have the talent on this team" and "I've been to the Super Bowl with less talent than the Lions have" [[those are paraphrases, the last from either last week or the week before).

Chip Kelly seems to be doing fine. It just depends on what kind of system philosophy or scheme a coach can mesh with the personnel he's inherited. And as far as commentators are concerned, JJ, Gruden, Dungy etc.. are fat and happy with what they are doing, why would they leave a gravy job on TV to roam the sidelines again? It would have to be the perfect situation.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-30-13 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    You can only be a wise guy or smart ass [[and get away with it) if you win games.
    He's lucky he's got a year left on the contract. No one will hire him to be a head coach now.
    Two yrs. and 12 million left. We should all be so lucky.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast