Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Shot Fired Near Cass Ave, North of I-75

Walking from Bookies to Harry's at around 11:30 tonight, we heard a gunshot off in the distance. There's traffic everywhere with the GLI and the concerts at Fox and Fillmore. Next thing you know, we count 15 police cars with flashing lights. WSUPD, DPD, Michigan State Police. It was crazy.

Any idea what happened?

Are you serious? This is an everyday occurrence in most of the City.

That 'level' of police response is not an everyday occurrence....

Must have been incident worthy of such a response. Downtown proximity a factor as well?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-29-13 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That 'level' of police response is not an everyday occurrence....

Must have been incident worthy of such a response. Downtown proximity a factor as well?
    Exactly why I was asking. Believe it or not, around Corktown, hearing gunshots is not an everyday [[or even every month) occurrence. This was happening as thousands were leaving the Young Jeezy concert and leaving Comerica Park, so traffic was at a standstill.

I understand the resentment when a carjacking at Dexter/Davison gets one response and a gunshot at Cass and I-75 gets another. But it's worth remembering that these downtown establishments pay the police extra out of pocket for higher levels of security.

If anyone sees anything on this, I'd appreciate an update.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    This was happening as thousands were leaving the Young Jeezy concert
    Gunplay after a rap concert? Surely you jest...

Exactly why I was asking. Believe it or not, around Corktown, hearing gunshots is not an everyday [[or even every month) occurrence. This was happening as thousands were leaving the Young Jeezy concert and leaving Comerica Park, so traffic was at a standstill.

I understand the resentment when a carjacking at Dexter/Davison gets one response and a gunshot at Cass and I-75 gets another. But it's worth remembering that these downtown establishments pay the police extra out of pocket for higher levels of security.

If anyone sees anything on this, I'd appreciate an update.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but screw you. The rest of us pay taxes, and LOT'S of them, so you're suggesting what? We have to do DPD kickbacks too in order to get proper police response? And you wonder why people get miffed @ the Midtown mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but screw you. The rest of us pay taxes, and LOT'S of them, so you're suggesting what? We have to do DPD kickbacks too in order to get proper police response? And you wonder why people get miffed @ the Midtown mentality.
    Well, please don't take this the wrong way, but the solution isn't to take away police response from highly policed areas. It's to add police to the places where they are badly needed.

Palmer Woods pays to have private paramilitary security patrol their streets. Dan Gilbert pays to put thousands of cameras with 24-hour surveillance and then add private security.

The neighborhoods need this level of security too. The question is how do we pay for it?

hey there CY. I dont know what part of Corktown you're sleepin in, but I hear gunshots from my place a few times a week. Granted, they're mostly coming from the north and southwest. Im up late and that's when you hear them the most.

Second, there is a beef going on between two different raps sets and the police were on standby for this event. Everyone in town who knows anything about rap knew to avoid that area last night unless you wanted to get into some nonsense.

Last, I'm downtown all day everyday, and I don't see the plethra of cops that some of you describe. Mostly pairs coming and going from their new digs on 3rd. What I do see is a ton of security folks wandering about on foot and on bikes. Helping old ladies cross the street mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    hey there CY. I dont know what part of Corktown you're sleepin in, but I hear gunshots from my place a few times a week. Granted, they're mostly coming from the north and southwest. Im up late and that's when you hear them the most.
    Yeah, I'm out in southeast Corktown by Mudgie's and am boring -- in bed by 11.

Second, there is a beef going on between two different raps sets and the police were on standby for this event. Everyone in town who knows anything about rap knew to avoid that area last night unless you wanted to get into some nonsense.
    Ah. That makes sense.

Last, I'm downtown all day everyday, and I don't see the plethra of cops that some of you describe. Mostly pairs coming and going from their new digs on 3rd. What I do see is a ton of security folks wandering about on foot and on bikes. Helping old ladies cross the street mostly.
    I was referring to the plethora of cops during major events at Fox/Comerica/Fillmore/Ford Field. But the rent a cops with the little old ladies are nice extra touch, too.

Since when did Downtown/Midtown start paying some type of mileage to receive more policing from the DPD/WSUPD/MSP than the rest of the city? It's one thing for Palmer Woods to hire private security, and it's one thing to say it costs LESS to patrol downtown/midtown, but let's not make shit up here. You guys are simply benefiting from the federal government-subsidized WSUPD, as well as being in a relatively desired part of town. That doesn't mean your taxes are more important than the taxes everyone else in the city pays [[nor does it mean you pay more).

I hear gun shots a lot when I used to live alone in the flip up 4 bdrm. bungalow in Grandmont St. south of Plymouth Rd. in Detroit West Side. Back then I have no problem with it as long as the bullets don't go through my living room window.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That doesn't mean your taxes are more important than the taxes everyone else in the city pays [[nor does it mean you pay more).
    I read somewhere the median selling price for homes in Detroit is 11k. Aren't property taxes calculated by this value? Property tax millage is set high in Detroit but I expect the city generates way more $$$ between Midtown and Downtown than impoverished areas with high crime. I would expect the areas that need police the most contribute the least. They are putting all eggs in the downtown midtown basket. The best case scenario in this would be midtown momentum carrying outward to improve and strengthen nearby areas. Majority of Detroit will remain resistant to recovery. Simply not enough jobs for people without much skills. That ship has sailed. Build enough tax base in and around downtown and midtown and hopefully it can float city services for other parts of the city

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I read somewhere the median selling price for homes in Detroit is 11k. Aren't property taxes calculated by this value?
    No........

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I read somewhere the median selling price for homes in Detroit is 11k. Aren't property taxes calculated by this value? Property tax millage is set high in Detroit but I expect the city generates way more $$$ between Midtown and Downtown than impoverished areas with high crime. I would expect the areas that need police the most contribute the least. They are putting all eggs in the downtown midtown basket. The best case scenario in this would be midtown momentum carrying outward to improve and strengthen nearby areas. Majority of Detroit will remain resistant to recovery. Simply not enough jobs for people without much skills. That ship has sailed. Build enough tax base in and around downtown and midtown and hopefully it can float city services for other parts of the city
    Nearly every new development in midtown and downtown gets a tax abatement. They only pay a fraction based upon what those in older established neighborhoods pay even though the homes are worth a lot less.