Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Riverwalk

Default Riverwalk

Had the new extension of the Riverwalk that extends from Milliken Park eastward to Mt Elliott Park opened? I haven't been on the Riverfront since August and the website is not giving any updates.

I don't believe so...I also haven't been for a while, but this was from the website:

Construction on Mt. Elliott Park’s much anticipated transformation is nearing completion. Right now, mechanical and electrical systems are undergoing inspection in preparation for the winter months. The final inspection of the water feature will occur in early spring, prior to the park’s grand opening ribbon cutting celebration.
    In addition to the water feature and the plaza and pavilion, which is the third along the riverfront, the universally accessible Mt. Elliott Park with breath-taking views of Belle Isle, will feature a vending area, restrooms, a security office, fishing outlooks, colored concrete sidewalks stamped with fun animal footprints, benches, planters and beautiful landscaping, making it what is sure to be a fun and engaging destination for families.
    The article, http://www.detroitriverfront.org/news/mt-elliott-park-0, was published on November 12th.

The hill between the old St. Aubin Marina and the Milliken Marsh has been re-sculpted. They carved off the high end nearest the river and put in a walkway. It curves to exit on Atwater across from the Globe Building. From that point eastward to Joseph Campau, the Riverwalk uses the Atwater sidewalk. Chene Park and the Marina prohibit free access to the riverfront in several spots, so I'm not sure if they ever plan to put the Walk at the river's edge there.

However, once you get up to Stroh River Place, the Riverwalk from there eastward to the Coast Guard station is and has been finished for a few years now. It's a very pleasant walk past the Roberts Riverwalk Hotel, the UAW-GM Center building and Harbortown Marina.

About two months ago, seeing the construction gate at Mt. Elliott Park open and few workers standing just inside it, I walked in and asked about the project's status. Someone who worked for the state in a capacity to liason with the Riverwalk folks said it was pretty much done and thought they could open up the walk any time. An official ceremonial opening was not planned until spring, though. Since then, the fence is still up and there's no access.

One big problem I expect to see when Mt. Elliott Park opens is parking. There's limited parking on the streets leading up to it, and most of the spaces are usually occupied by the lofts and nearby businesses. The state worker said the Riverwalk had traded a parcel next to the Coast Guard property in return for the small lot at the foot of Mt. Elliott where the Coast Guard stores buoys during the winter. It's not a big lot and I don't think it will be sufficient to meet the demand for the park.

The state worker also said all the toxic waste had been removed from the Riverwalk's portion of the Uniroyal site, and he expected that would be completed next year.
    Last edited by downtownguy; December-28-13 at 11:46 AM.

I hope that the park have a soft opening before spring

So it would seem that the eastern portion of the Riverwalk is complete at this point [[besides the Uniroyal site, which looks to possibly be completed this spring). I think that the jog around Chene park will always be there without direct access to the river, but that's really not a big deal.

What's going on with the western portion? This seems like it will be the most difficult portion to complete due to standing structures in the way. First you need to go through the Joe parking lot, eliminating about 30 spaces along the riverfront [[not sure how receptive Illitch/city of Detroit feels about that). Then you need to go across The Riverfront Towers property, again, not sure how the new owners feel about that. Although I believe the marina there is no longer in service, the new owners may want to reopen that at some point. The old Free Press printing site is owned by the conservancy which is a large portion, but then you run into Matty's property that is used by the railway. Whether or not the city plans on just stopping there or trying to negotiate with him for the riverfront property to go all the way to riverside park.

Anyone have any additional info or thoughts on that?

All the updates you need. From Dec. 19th 2013.

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/new...ress-continues

Also, the map for the West Riverfront shows is Avoiding the parking lot and Riverfront Towers marina. http://www.detroitriverfront.org/#map

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Also, the map for the West Riverfront shows is Avoiding the parking lot and Riverfront Towers marina. http://www.detroitriverfront.org/#map
    Well that's lame if it can go through Harbortown there's no reason it can go through the Riverfront complex

Can you fish off the riverwalk? If so where's the best Location?

We used to take the bus down to the river and use drag lines to get our tackle and then go up the drain pipes a few feet and gather crawdads for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    All the updates you need. From Dec. 19th 2013.

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/new...ress-continues

That's nice. I called the Conservancy last spring to ask when they would have some fresh info on the website. I was told the entire website was being redone and would be finished in about two weeks. I occasionally would check it throughout the summer and fall, but this is the first "new" news I've seen on it.

The map is still out of date, as it does not show that new walkway on the river edge through the big hill east of the Milliken Wetlands. Also, the link from the map to Mt. Elliott Park still says it's to open in the fall of 2013.

It bugs me that they don't do a better job keeping the website up to date as it would probably build more interest in their progress and probably assist in fundraising.

And, yes, Dan, you can fish on the Riverwalk. It's quite busy during the summer especially in the wetlands area. I'm not sure if they discourage it in other areas, though and I couldn't tell you what people are catching.

I had driven to Mt Elliot Park. It looks like its completed but there is a fence around the entrance. Work on the extension of the Dequindre Cut was moving swiftly until a month or two ago then the work had stopped. Had the bankruptcy halted work on the Cut? I had thought that money were earmark to the project

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had driven to Mt Elliot Park. It looks like its completed but there is a fence around the entrance. Work on the extension of the Dequindre Cut was moving swiftly until a month or two ago then the work had stopped. Had the bankruptcy halted work on the Cut? I had thought that money were earmark to the project
    Why did you not take transit or ride your bike? You like to contribute to sprawl and to congestion?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why did you not take transit or ride your bike? You like to contribute to sprawl and to congestion?
    Its cold outside Planner. I do drive my car sometimes. Mostly when its freezing