Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default There's a Real Hamburgler in Town?

Or two even.

DETROIT -

Detroit police are asking for the public's help in getting information on two men who could be connected to a string of burglaries at fast food restaurants.

On Christmas, three fast food restaurants [[two McDonald’s and one Burger King) were broken into overnight on the city’s east and west side.

The robbers entered the location and attempted to empty the cash safe. No one was injured during these incidents.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...z/-/index.html

Crap like this gives even fast food restaurants good reason to close shop and leave the city. YUM! Brands [[as promised) has already begun this process by closing most of the KFC and Taco Bell restaurants.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-26-13 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Crap like this gives even fast food restaurants good reason to close shop and leave the city. YUM! Brands [[as promised) has already begun this process by closing most of the KFC and Taco Bell restaurants.
    There was a Taco Bell in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    There is one on Livernois, at Oakman Blvd. Beyond that, I don't know of any Taco Bell outlets in the city proper. There are still several KFC outlets.

The replies above me remind me of this person, in fact, I think we should team up, follow in his footsteps and document the history of Yum!-owned chain restaurants in inner-city Detroit, both ones Yum! currently owns [[KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut) and the ones the company formerly owned [[such as A&W and Long John Silver's) and put it all on a map. This thread should help us [[especially that link in that thread's first post).

There was one downtown a long time ago [[early 80's?). I think it was near the Dime Building. Anyone remember the exact loacation?

There we're a couple. Eastside: One on Harper, a KFC/ TB duo on Jefferson near Chalmers. Both closed. Another one at the corner of I-75 at Hollbrok or something some years back. There is an open TBell on Wyoming at Warren on the Dearborn border... Not sure of any others..........

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    There was one downtown a long time ago [[early 80's?). I think it was near the Dime Building. Anyone remember the exact loacation?
    The Taco Bell you're talking about was in the Kinsel Drugs building, it opened in 1985 and closed sometime in the 1990's. The building itself was torn down a few years later [[2001) and was then a surface parking lot until a new parking garage for the Book-Cadillac was built on the site circa 2008.

And there used to be another Taco Bell on the west side, a KFC combo at Fort and Livernois [[a block south of I-75) that closed nearly a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    There is one on Livernois, at Oakman Blvd. Beyond that, I don't know of any Taco Bell outlets in the city proper.
    As of 2011, I know that this location's road sign has the 1994 logo, but the exterior signage on the building still uses the 1985 logo. Has this changed since?
    Last edited by mtburb; December-27-13 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There we're a couple. Eastside: One on Harper, a KFC/ TB duo on Jefferson near Chalmers. Both closed. Another one at the corner of I-75 at Hollbrok or something some years back. There is an open TBell on Wyoming at Warren on the Dearborn border... Not sure of any others..........
    That Taco Bell on Warren and Wyoming is technically in Dearborn. So the only Taco Bell that remains is the one on Livernois and Ewald Circle. KFCs are a bit more generous [[9 total, only 3 on the eastside), but as it has been noted, numerous locations have closed in the last 5-10 years.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-27-13 at 05:01 PM.

If it hasn't been mentioned already-- Also I'm thinking there was a Taco Bell [[possibly a combo place?) on McNichols [[at Dequindre?), virtually adjacent to Second Ebenezer Baptist Church, but now closed for at least a few years.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; January-01-14 at 09:22 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Got enough Coneys in the "D", don't need no mic ds

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    If it hasn't been mentioned already-- Also I'm thinking there was a Taco Bell [[possibly a combo place?) on McNichols [[at Dequindre?), virtually adjacent to Second Ebenezer Baptist Church, but now closed for at least a few years.
    Technically, it was a KFC turned KFC/Taco Bell combo.

But yes, you're correct.

Since someone else already said what I was saying before that post even existed, I'll say something different: What if Yum! Brands pulled a Mervyn's or a Baker's Square and closed all of their Michigan locations permanently? How would you feel about that?
    Last edited by mtburb; January-01-14 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The Taco Bell you're talking about was in the Kinsel Drugs building, it opened in 1985 and closed sometime in the 1990's. The building itself was torn down a few years later [[2001) and was then a surface parking lot until a new parking garage for the Book-Cadillac was built on the site circa 2008.

And there used to be another Taco Bell on the west side, a KFC combo at Fort and Livernois [[a block south of I-75) that closed nearly a year ago.

As of 2011, I know that this location's road sign has the 1994 logo, but the exterior signage on the building still uses the 1985 logo. Has this changed since?
    Designed by Henry Englebert. 100 Michigan Avenue built in 1878 Downtown Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Zacha341 the former Taco Bell building at the corner of Harper and Whittier has been razed.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Zacha341 the former Taco Bell building at the corner of Harper and Whittier has been razed.
    YUM! Brands is serious then.

Instead of having scrappers rip these shuttered locations to shreds, they're quickly demolishing them.

Same thing happened with the Taco Bell on Gratiot and Jane.