Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's the deal with Freep.com DetNews.com?

Just checking ... this morning when I tried to go to Freep.com I got a pop-up screen asking me for my screen name and password. So I checked Detnew.com ... same deal.

Just wondering, if anyone else is experiencing the same thing? Also, was there an annoucment I missed? Did the JOA issue a statement to the effect: "We're tired of giving you our work for free, pay up or else?"

Or, did a get some virus that is making this happen?

I just finished perusing both sites before coming over here. Same as before, they didn't ask me for anything.

I just got asked for a password at the Freep.

I have had this pop up several times in the last week. Just happened a few minutes ago.

Stosh Guest

I just went there as well, got the sign in screen pop-up. Don't know why either.

lilpup Guest

I've gotten it at other newspaper sites this morning, too. I've tried both Firefox and IE.

I managed to click through one and it popped up another password request saying it was from gon.gannettonline.com - perhaps Gannett has screwed up something?
    Last edited by lilpup; July-19-09 at 07:50 AM.

Me too. Thought it was because I was using a Blackberry. Interesting.

Stosh Guest

The external site for their digital edition is still up and running. I noticed that it's requesting for the site freep.com:80 when the box comes up in Safari. I'll bet that it's a Gannet boo-boo like lilpup said.

detroitjim Guest

Yup, something is going on . Probably will require you to register, in order to view the site.
    That will work until there is some gigantic story and then those that dont have access will go elsewhere for the scoop. I occasionally check for stories from a southeast asian news site. They required registration up until the tsunami struck and havent had the sign on hitch since. They obviously realized that website hits were more important than knowing the particulars about their visitors.

I just tried the freep.com link and got an error message saying the site was undergoing maintenance.

lilpup Guest

yeah, i just clicked around and a bunch of Gannett papers are having a problem

I was able to click through by repeatedly pressing the "OK" button. That will get you to the front page, but you have to go throught the same process when you click on an article ... plus you get their other pop-ups.

screw it. I'm going to the store for a real paper. Now, I simply need to hack through the City's rapidly expanding prairie and try to find an open store ... or Trading Post.

I had no trouble with either paper earlier this morning; but now both are giving me the registration screen.

I couldn't get the Freep to come up either. Gave it a shot about 5 minutes ago......

appears to be up and running.

It's up. Don't be surprised if you have to register to access.

I just got it at MLive, but I was able to connect to the readers comment section of the story and then from there to the story.

All is right in the world. Freep/detnews sites up and running. Time for another cup of coffee.