Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Musin' on the Motown Review

Some Christmas-time memories:

http://marshamusic.wordpress.com/200...motown-review/

Happy Holidays, DetroitYes!

Thanks for sharing, and best wishes for a happy holiday!!!

The Motortown Review [[its actual name; but everyone referred to it as the Motown Review) was the second biggest bargain in town*. Tickets were, IIRC, $5. The Review lasted for 10 days at the Fox Theatre with a change of acts after the 5th day.

For several years in a row I saw Little Stevie Wonder. At that time it was definitely Little Stevie Wonder. It seems to me that he alternated with the Supremes. Which meant that I didn't get to see them.

The Temptations sang their hits like I Wish It Would Rain. I remember one year they wore velvet tuxes in varying shades of maroon. They were the absolute masters of choreography. They were just so smooth.

I remember the first year that I saw Gladys Knight & the Pips. They had recently come out with their big hit, I Heard It Through the Grapevine. They were good; but the Pips were nowhere near the Temptations in terms of their moves and style. The following year they were back. Still not up to the Temptations; but vastly more polished.

I know that every generation, both before and after mine, thinks that their music is greatest music of all time; but I am fortunate to have grown up in the Motown Era. I'd like to suggest to our younger Detroit Yes posters to go to YouTube and watch some of the Motown acts. Long before Martha Reeves was on City Council, she was a star! A real entertainer!! Martha and the Vandellas had hit after hit and it all came from right here in Detroit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17yfqxoSTFM

* The biggest bargain was the WCHB Christmas Party, also at the Fox, which was earlier in December. IIRC, it was $3. I'm sorry that I never made to one.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The Motortown Review [[its actual name; but everyone referred to it as the Motown Review) was the second biggest bargain in town*. Tickets were, IIRC, $5. The Review lasted for 10 days at the Fox Theatre with a change of acts after the 5th day.

For several years in a row I saw Little Stevie Wonder. At that time it was definitely Little Stevie Wonder. It seems to me that he alternated with the Supremes. Which meant that I didn't get to see them.

The Temptations sang their hits like I Wish It Would Rain. I remember one year they wore velvet tuxes in varying shades of maroon. They were the absolute masters of choreography. They were just so smooth.

I remember the first year that I saw Gladys Knight & the Pips. They had recently come out with their big hit, I Heard It Through the Grapevine. They were good; but the Pips were nowhere near the Temptations in terms of their moves and style. The following year they were back. Still not up to the Temptations; but vastly more polished.

I know that every generation, both before and after mine, thinks that their music is greatest music of all time; but I am fortunate to have grown up in the Motown Era. I'd like to suggest to our younger Detroit Yes posters to go to YouTube and watch some of the Motown acts. Long before Martha Reeves was on City Council, she was a star! A real entertainer!! Martha and the Vandellas had hit after hit and it all came from right here in Detroit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17yfqxoSTFM

* The biggest bargain was the WCHB Christmas Party, also at the Fox, which was earlier in December. IIRC, it was $3. I'm sorry that I never made to one.

Thanks Neil [[and previous poster, too).
    I don't remember that CHB party, I was probably too young to go. But those were some great days around Motown.

I always think that one of our many local tragedies was not having some sort of active civic commission of some sort that would capitalize upon/promote Motown and our music legacy. Perhaps, for example, Martha Reeves might have been able to serve on or represent such an entity, rather on the council, to which she was ill-suited, and the subject of ridicule and contempt.

This is a woman who is known and admired worldwide for her contribution to American music, and is an exemplar of Motown Detroit; if there was any foresight at all, she should have been allowed to be some sort of musical ambassador from our city. When I have seen her in person, she is gracious and approachable and very aware of her role in modern music. Perhaps there might be a more appropriate redux for her.

Anyway, yes, the Motown - or Motortown - days were awesome in many ways.