Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chrysler museum – Why not downtown?

When Chrysler began re-hiring in Auburn Hills, one casualty to the need for space was the Walter P. Chrysler Museum. Do we know if Chrysler has a plan to re-display this? And if they do, why not consider downtown where they may get more traffic? I can’t imagine the museum was well attended being in no-mans-land Auburn Hills. However, I am simply speculating here, as I never went.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    When Chrysler began re-hiring in Auburn Hills, one casualty to the need for space was the Walter P. Chrysler Museum. Do we know if Chrysler has a plan to re-display this? And if they do, why not consider downtown where they may get more traffic? I can’t imagine the museum was well attended being in no-mans-land Auburn Hills. However, I am simply speculating here, as I never went.
    There was an article a couple years ago about how Detroit really misses a great tourist opportunity by not having any auto centric destination downtown. Something that is cool, very interactive, futuristic...just a good, engaging museum type place downtown. I love Henry Ford Museum, but that serves it's purpose of displaying history.

Maybe the suggestion should be given to Duggan.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    There was an article a couple years ago about how Detroit really misses a great tourist opportunity by not having any auto centric destination downtown. Something that is cool, very interactive, futuristic...just a good, engaging museum type place downtown. I love Henry Ford Museum, but that serves it's purpose of displaying history.
    Yes, that's so true...I guess that's what the purpose of the International Auto Welcome Center will be. Too bad the welcome center won't be downtown, but at least it'll attract more people to the region and I'm sure if they go to Highland Park they'll also visit Detroit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    Yes, that's so true...I guess that's what the purpose of the International Auto Welcome Center will be. Too bad the welcome center won't be downtown, but at least it'll attract more people to the region and I'm sure if they go to Highland Park they'll also visit Detroit as well.

WILL BE and IS... are 2 different beasts... I'm sure that everyone would welcome the Ford plant in Highland Park to have a new life... but it's a loooong way to doing so.

That does beg the question... what is the eventual purpose difference of the Ford Highland Park plant and the Ford Piquette plant in New Center??

If I remember correctly the Chrysler museum wasn't shuttered to make room, but due to very low attendance. Although Auburn hills is a ways from Detroit, it's far from "No man's land" and I highly doubt the location was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    If I remember correctly the Chrysler museum wasn't shuttered to make room, but due to very low attendance. Although Auburn hills is a ways from Detroit, it's far from "No man's land" and I highly doubt the location was the problem.
    I know many of you guys are absolutely incapable of accepting that a place as magical as Auburn Hills is no man's land in any way, shape, or form, but in terms of Museums in Metro Detroit, it absolutely, 100% is for a car Museum. It's little more suitable than Brightmoor.

Of the non-Detroit museums, the Henry Ford is in Dearborn, a border suburb, and right on the way from the airport, not to mention the Henry Ford a destination in itself. The Holocaust Museum is surrounded by the region's Jewish population.

The Chrysler Museum is a victim of corporatism. There isn't any reason for that 1990's crap to be out there other than that is where a lot of the executives live. Yet as a Museum it is on the far western fringe of the suburbs, and by no means a destination, and the area offers no local amenities [[you can't really pair a museum with a monster truck show or whatever people go see at the Palace.)

A simple toying with googlemaps shows it is at LEAST half-hour from the majority of the population of Metro Detroit. I know you guys love to drive everywhere at all times but that is a big problem.

Like it or love it, Detroit does have the region's bonafide cultural center. Even the modest Detroit Historical Museum brings in about 100k people each year. If it were in Auburn Hills, it would not. It would die its rightful death for being surrounded by nothing but mildly successful automotive executives and some cheesy stadium.

I've been on the record for being against a "car museum" [[museums are extremely difficult to sustain) but if Chrysler wanted to pony up and reopen their formerly existing Museum in [[or VERY near) the Cultural Center, they'd be able to piggy-back off the other already successful Museums in the area. HP or even New Center, however, may be too far. Downtown or Midtown are a great idea, however.

I've worked in museums for years, so I'm not just talking out my ass here.

Anecdotally, I'm a self-proclaimed Museum aficionado, and love the Henry Ford, DIA, etc., but never considered going to the Chrysler museum. The thought of driving an hour to Auburn Hills and being in Auburn Hills makes me die inside.
    Last edited by poobert; December-24-13 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    The Chrysler Museum is a victim of corporatism. There isn't any reason for that 1990's crap to be out there other than that is where a lot of the executives live. Yet as a Museum it is on the far western fringe of the suburbs, and by no means a destination, and the area offers no local amenities [[you can't really pair a museum with a monster truck show or whatever people go see at the Palace.)

Anecdotally, I'm a self-proclaimed Museum aficionado, and love the Henry Ford, DIA, etc., but never considered going to the Chrysler museum. The thought of driving an hour to Auburn Hills and being in Auburn Hills makes me die inside.
    If you are looking in the "far western suburbs" for Auburn Hills, it will be an awfully long drive for you. If the Southfield Expressway kept going north, it would lead right to the Chrysler complex.

BTW, the Cranbrook Museum seems to do well out there. The baseball HOF prospers in Cooperstown even though it is a long haul from Yankee Stadium.

Then you haven't been on the west side in years, because Auburn Hills is clearly on the far northern fringe, actually. Even though it too is in Auburn Hills, Great Lakes Crossing still prospers today 15 years after first opening it's doors [[but this can be true of pretty much any enclosed outlet mall, because most of them are at least 30 miles from the downtown area of a major city), considering it is one exit northwest of the Palace and just about near the highway halfway point between Detroit and Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That does beg the question... what is the eventual purpose difference of the Ford Highland Park plant and the Ford Piquette plant in New Center??
    I agree with you that "will be" and "is" are completely different.

This is the purpose of the automotive center as stated in a Crain's article:

Crain's first broke news on the plan last fall. Schutt told me in July that the vision had evolved into locating the automobile heritage welcome center on the ground floor of the administration building and in the executive garage. The center would include a theater with videos, informational kiosks, interpretive displays on automotive history and a gift and snack shop. It also could be a place where visitors could pick up historical automotive tours such as the WA3 tour, “In the Steps of Henry.”
    That tour includes visits to where Henry Ford lived and served as an apprentice; Edison Illuminating Co., where he worked [[now part of the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit), and the Cathedral Church of St. Paulon Woodward Avenue, where he attended church and received last rites.
    Schutt said WA3 envisions renting space on the second through fourth floors of the administration building to businesses offering some sort of automotive-related experience such as a virtual driving experience or virtual automotive parts production or assembly program so visitors can see how cars are designed and built.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...come-center-in

So basically it seems like it'll be an information center with info on the auto industry and also tours etc. and possibly some exhibits. They didn't mention the Ford Piquette plant as a possible stop for the tour, but I would hope they would include it because it just makes sense to do so. It seems like they are far away from where they want to be at this point and I'm not sure if they'll get the funding they want to make this an "international" destination, but I wish them all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Do it.

If you want a Chrysler museum downtown, ask Chrysler for permission to fund raise on their behalf and do it and make it happen like Dr. Jerry Mitchell and Randy Mason did with the Ford Piquette Plant museum when they heard the building was going to be demolished by the previous owner in 1998. They got approval from the Henry Ford Heritage Associated and raised $100,000 towards acquiring the building and continued fundraising and you have the museum you see there today. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...story-saved-2/

With crowd funding sources like Kickstarter, it's easier than ever to raise money for non-profits.

It just irks me when people keep complaining why we don't have this or that in downtown instead of suburbia Dearborn or Auburn Hills, and if you challenge them to put their own time and money into it, they don't want to; they think, hey let's complain about it and it's going to magically appear. No, it starts with you if you want it in Detroit. Why would an exec go out their way to put anything in downtown or midtown if their head office is in Auburn Hills?? It makes no sense.
    Last edited by davewindsor; December-24-13 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Then you haven't been on the west side in years, because Auburn Hills is clearly on the far northern fringe, actually. Even though it too is in Auburn Hills, Great Lakes Crossing still prospers today 15 years after first opening it's doors [[but this can be true of pretty much any enclosed outlet mall, because most of them are at least 30 miles from the downtown area of a major city), considering it is one exit northwest of the Palace and just about near the highway halfway point between Detroit and Flint.
    I stand corrected: northern, not western. Look, I'm an eastsider, okay? Whatever beasts lie north of Eight Mile and west of Livernois is largely a mystery to me and I aim to keep it that way.

As to the person who takes I-696 to Macomb Township in order to avoid Detroit: everything you have ever said, or will say is invalid. This is me being nice because it is Christmas Eve and I don't want a lower circle of hell than I'm already getting.

I stand corrected: northern, not western. Look, I'm an eastsider, okay? Whatever beasts lie north of Eight Mile and west of Livernois is largely a mystery to me and I aim to keep it that way.

As to the person who takes I-696 to Macomb Township in order to avoid Detroit: everything you have ever said, or will say is invalid. This is me being nice because it is Christmas Eve and I don't want a lower circle of hell than I'm already getting.
    I hope Santa brings you a map. Merry Christmas.

Anyway….A museum incorporated into the new Red Wings arena would be awesome. But, or course, this is wishful thinking.

I don't see the point of starting a new museum. We are already spread thin as it is. Museums are hard to sustain. Just improve the existing institutions such as Detroit Historical Museum and the Henry Ford Museum and make them more accessible.

Remember that Chrysler does have the Chrysler House downtown and is using the Imported from Detroit slogan now. They may be more amenable to supporting an auto display venue in the city. Also, is GM on board with using part of its collection for public display? Now it sits in Warren and is seen only by a select few......

I don't get how you live in SE Michigan and have no clue where Auburn Hills is, I'm just flabbergasted.

The "museum" is only open by appointment. I just can't see a Chrysler museum prospering anywhere. Maybe if they do some kind automobile museum with American and foreign vehicles, then yes, but I have no interest in looking at Dodge Chargers.
    Last edited by Cliffy; December-25-13 at 08:58 PM.

How about putting it in the Kalvinator HQ on Plymouth Rd? It was AMC/Jeep HQ for years.

I think this is a silly idea. I went there a couple of years back and the place was deserted. Chrysler House is named after a tennant that has two floors of the building, it is not like there are thousands of workers there.

I agree with DaveWindsor, so many people come on here and have all of these 'ideas' what should be done, but never do anything about getting things there. When they are called out about it, they act as if someone else should take their ideas and run with them. We need more do-ers in this town, we don't need ideas more than we need action.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I don't get how you live in SE Michigan and have no clue where Auburn Hills is, I'm just flabbergasted.
    And...? I'm sure you can ask a ton of suburbanites in Metro Detr...I mean SE Michigan what's the name of the tallest building in the State of Michigan and they would have no clue what the answer is. But either way, I'm not sure what the point of you posting this was....

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And...? I'm sure you can ask a ton of suburbanites in Metro Detr...I mean SE Michigan what's the name of the tallest building in the State of Michigan and they would have no clue what the answer is. But either way, I'm not sure what the point of you posting this was....
    Thats easy.. its either the Top of Troy or the old American Center! Maybe the Amway?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The point of posting it was to show how close minded he or she is. People all over the world get on us because we don't know where Iraq is on a map and this dude has no clue where Auburn Hills is and he has the nerve to talk shit about the area. Unfreakingbelievable. If this is a typical Detroiter then God help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Sorry I guess my sarcasm was not too evident here!

The Walter P. Chrysler museum isn't going anywhere, it just closed to the public, more or less adapting the business model of the GM Heritage center. Everything is still in place, the speculated re-use of the space for office purposes never happened, and isn't going to happen anytime soon. The facility is very busy as a rental hall and banquet facility, and many corporate functions are held there. It's hard to imagine this area supporting another car museum, in addition to those Poobert mentioned.
    There would little call for it in Detroit, as little as there was in Auburn Hills.

I have never tried to operate a museum, so I'm no expert, but it seems that it would take a considerable amount of funding and effort to do so. Chrysler is, I think properly, focusing on making and selling cars and trucks, which is its core business; operating a museum strikes me as an unprofitable and time-consuming sideline. So I'm not surprised they have, at least for now, thrown in the towel on it.

As to the geographic debate, it seems that the most-visited museums are either in an area with a critical mass of cultural facilities [[e.g. the cultural center of Detroit, or midtown Manhattan) or are so much of a destination that their location is barely relevant [[e.g. the Baseball Hall of Fame). The Chrysler museum did not appear to come close in either respect. Auburn Hills has only a few tourist facilities and the are far from each other and very far from most Detroiters, as has been pointed out earlier.

That monstrosity of a mall was in fact failing until the owners devised the brilliant idea of faux-repurposing it as an "outlet mall", which seemed to involve merely putting the word "outlet" on the signs for each store, and changing nearly nothing else. So for example, I'm making this one up, Frederick's of Hollywood would become the Frederick's of Hollywood Outlet Store. You wouldn't think such a paint job would fool thousands of people, but it seems to have done so.

The other thing people think is a tourist facility in Auburn Hills is Meadowbrook, but I believe that is actually in Rochester Hills [[Oakland University is split down the middle by the municipal border), and in any case it is a few miles from the Chrysler area and a good deal farther than that from the mall or the Pistons' home court.

A truly world-class automotive museum might be a real draw, but would be quite an endeavor and I'm not sure anyone is both up to the task and has the time to do it. But if you were going to do that, I agree with the main idea of the thread, it should be in downtown or midtown or somewhere accessible to where likely travelers are going to be. No sense starting with bad cards in your hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast