Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why not a concert for Detroit?

Why not a concert for Detroit?
    Other cities and areas have had concerts for economic aid and to show a little love and support when they are down, so why not one for Detroit? Toronto had a one after SARS, the east coast had one after Superstorm Sandy, and there was a concert for the mid-west after some tornados blew thru. Well Detroit has had a whole lot of hot air blowing thru for the last 60 years or so causing massive damage, so where is our concert? With the amount of talent that has come out of Detroit and the surrounding area and with the amount for “artists” that proclaim their love for Detroit [[i.e. making their money, then hauling butt out of town), it should be easy to get an all-star lineup. Immediately coming to mind is any of the surviving Motown groups and singers, also groups and singers like Bob Seger, Kid Rock, Jack White, J.Geils, Eminem [[not a fan but still), and many, many others. There are also many actors and actresses who have came for Detroit, so putting on a little lovefest for Detroit should be very easy. The proceeds could go to helping the neighborhoods rebuild and to protect valuable assets such as the D.I.A. Just an idea.

Detroit has suffered from a man-made disaster [[which means Detroiters past and present caused their own demise), whereas other cities such as New Orleans suffered from Natural Disasters [[which means they had no control over thier demise and thus they were not at fault).

As unfortunate as Detroit's situation is, no sane person is going to reward us and feel sorry for our idiotic decisions in the past and present that led us here.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-19-13 at 02:17 PM.

Well, simply put, nobody really cares about Detroit -- that is no one except for Detroiters and those in the surrounding areas.

And as 313WX said:

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Detroit has suffered from a man-made disaster [[which means Detroiters past and present caused their own demise), whereas other cities such as New Orleans suffered from Natural Disasters [[which means they had no control over thier demise and thus they were not at fault).
    That's exactly why nobody really cares about Detroit...so it's up to us who do care to continue to fight because no one is going to come to our rescue.

Let's just focus on the state and the metro area putting resources together to clean out and raze the entire I-94 corridor between I-94 and Jefferson from Dearborn to Grosse Pointe with the exception of parts of Mexicantown, Springwells, Motown Museum, Woodbridge, New Center, Midtown, Downtown, Corktown, Indian Village, Eastern Market, and East English Village. If this entire corridor is cleaned up and people are relocated north of I-94 to more densely populated neighborhoods, we will be fine in creating a new Detroit.

Unfortunately not all neighborhoods north of I-94 are in such great shape either. Just look at the Gratiot and McNichols area, and points east, west, north and south of there...

Just love how fast this went from having a concert for Detroit to tearing down half the city...

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    Let's just focus on the state and the metro area putting resources together to clean out and raze the entire I-94 corridor between I-94 and Jefferson from Dearborn to Grosse Pointe with the exception of parts of Mexicantown, Springwells, Motown Museum, Woodbridge, New Center, Midtown, Downtown, Corktown, Indian Village, Eastern Market, and East English Village. If this entire corridor is cleaned up and people are relocated north of I-94 to more densely populated neighborhoods, we will be fine in creating a new Detroit.
    That is the dumbest post I have seen on this board barring trolls.

Clearly you have no idea of east area communities. You missed Four Corners, Morningside, Creekside, Lafayette Park, West Village, East Village, Islandview Village, Berry sub division,the condos and apartments on our riverfront to name just a few.

I suggest you change your moniker. NEWDETROIT. Your negative vision smacks of racism and a land grab mentality that wants riverfront properties for personal gain and development. That been tried: review the failures of Greymark, Morgan estates, Grayhaven, etc.

I say build on what we have not wipe us out.

tg-jessica, what a sweet thought. A concert to benefit Detroit at large

Many of Detroit's problems are extraneous to its borders. The problems are too complex to debate on this forum. So many, owe so much, but they are playing their wealth out in warmer climes.

On minor levels, area groups and churches raise lots of money to assist those in need. Certainly would be nice if those "stars" pitched in too.

Detroit is 18 billion dollars in debt. How much do you plan on charging for tickets? The only way this would work is if you picked a specific problem, that would need a do-able amount of money, then talk all these rock stars and other famous people into participating. Despite what the media portrays when they bill these "benefit" concerts, these stars do expect to get paid.

Honky tonk, wise words. much better to keep our fund raising efforts local and very specific. Still tons of local talent with ties [[as in live in) to our community!

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Honky tonk, wise words. much better to keep our fund raising efforts local and very specific. Still tons of local talent with ties [[as in live in) to our community!
    Last time The Who played Detroit, [[well, the Palace I believe) they donated all proceeds to Gleaners Food Bank, because Detroit was instrumental to their fame. Talkin' 'Bout MY Generation.

Quote Originally Posted by tg_jessica View Post
    Other cities and areas have had concerts for economic aid and to show a little love and support when they are down, so why not one for Detroit? Toronto had a one after SARS, the east coast had one after Superstorm Sandy, and there was a concert for the mid-west after some tornados blew thru. Well Detroit has had a whole lot of hot air blowing thru for the last 60 years or so causing massive damage, so where is our concert? With the amount of talent that has come out of Detroit and the surrounding area and with the amount for “artists” that proclaim their love for Detroit [[i.e. making their money, then hauling butt out of town), it should be easy to get an all-star lineup. Immediately coming to mind is any of the surviving Motown groups and singers, also groups and singers like Bob Seger, Kid Rock, Jack White, J.Geils, Eminem [[not a fan but still), and many, many others. There are also many actors and actresses who have came for Detroit, so putting on a little lovefest for Detroit should be very easy. The proceeds could go to helping the neighborhoods rebuild and to protect valuable assets such as the D.I.A. Just an idea.
    So what is stopping you from putting something together?

Quote Originally Posted by tg_jessica View Post
    You can accuse area stars of a lot of things but "hauling butt out of town" is not one of them. I know if I made millions at a young age I would probably have headed for a warm climate but Seger, Rock, Eminem, Franklin and many more have remained in the area. Also, those who do the most for charity often don't seek out recognition. I just think it's odd to criticize them in one breath while requesting their help the next.

Strongly agreed. Other cities have their $hit together and really could care less what happens here. Yes, people are curious but Detroit is stuck 50 years back in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    Well, simply put, nobody really cares about Detroit -- that is no one except for Detroiters and those in the surrounding areas.

And as 313WX said:

That's exactly why nobody really cares about Detroit...so it's up to us who do care to continue to fight because no one is going to come to our rescue.

The OP sounds young and full of hope and naive, I was that way once. Jessica, you go girl.

Thanks Dan for ruining this for all of us

Oh to be young and naive again! I appreciate being reminded of area musicians who still do good works. So much has been done, so much needs doing. Still,it is the local communities, who understand needs. It is the unsung heroes who really do for community. Some things are quite small. They count however.

Recently a small group of us went to a free turkey giveaway, froze our butts, everyone who went, gave their turkeys to needy families that are not mobile.

We are planning a fundraiser, [[different thread) for a home invasion victim. Anyone with a talent please come forward.We have a venue, that is tres cool. I guess I am catering sans profit. So feel free folk to step forward. Date not set yet but mid to Late January . Sumas

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not debating Detroit's issues but come on, New Orleans? That place is as bad and even worse in corruption and miss managegment then Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Not debating Detroit's issues but come on, New Orleans? That place is as bad and even worse in corruption and miss managegment then Detroit.
    I don't know if you've heard, but they were hit by a hurricane.

Why not a bake-sale?

Sing to restore the 13th monthly paycheck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Sing to restore the 13th monthly paycheck!
    As a child of two City of Detroit retirees I approve this message!

Fa la la la moola, la la la la.

That should do it for ya, DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Thanks Dan for ruining this for all of us

In what way?

Do you remember Lillies Bar in that "a little touch of Europe" town? That music scene did very little for Hamtramck.

It's just the problems that face Detroit are so, so much bigger than what a concert would provide for. Hmmm... unless of course we could get the marketing rights, commercial and product tie in's.

I didn't know you spoke for everybody.

Anyway, I didn't mean to rain on your parade. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    While that may be true that's never what I hear people talk about when they talk about New Orleans. I always hear people talking about the great culture, restaurants etc, but rarely do I hear them talk about the negative things. It's pretty much the opposite for Detroit. Whenever I hear people talk about Detroit the positive things are overlooked and the negative things are focused on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast