Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Watch Repair in Detroit Area?

I have a couple of automatic watches that need minor repairs. The places I've been to in Bham want to do a complete overhaul which is many hundreds of $$. Are there any true watch "repair" shops that will just fix what's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by narnarnar View Post
    I have a couple of automatic watches that need minor repairs. The places I've been to in Bham want to do a complete overhaul which is many hundreds of $$. Are there any true watch "repair" shops that will just fix what's wrong?
    If the watches are important to you, spend the money and get them fixed properly. As far as watch repair goes, you definitely get what you pay for.

I've had a couple of heirloom watches refurbed by Metals in Time in Birmingham. Yes, they are expensive, but they do a phenomenal job. I've had a friend go to a cheaper place in Royal Oak and they *wrecked* his dad's prized antique diving watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    If the watches are important to you, spend the money and get them fixed properly. As far as watch repair goes, you definitely get what you pay for.

I've had a couple of heirloom watches refurbed by Metals in Time in Birmingham. Yes, they are expensive, but they do a phenomenal job. I've had a friend go to a cheaper place in Royal Oak and they *wrecked* his dad's prized antique diving watch.
    Second that. I have taken watches to Universal Watch in Birmingham and while not cheap the results have been admirable. Unfortunately i do not know the track record of other local shops. Isn't there a repair shop on Broadway across from the opera house?

If you're near downtown, you might want to inquire at Simmons & Clark Jewelers on Broadway across from the Opera House. They've been there forever. I'm not sure how much repair they do in house, but it might we worth asking about.

This place has an excellent reputation -

http://www.northvilleclock.com/watchrepair.nxg

Good luck wherever you end up taking your watches.

Kelton

My Dad tinkered with watches for decades. As a young adult, he gave me a medium-priced Timex which I wore for years. In the mid-80s it stopped working and I took it to Sears [[they had a watch shop then), which was a bad choice. They installed a 12-hour windup replacement for the inside, which although it functioned, made the watch literally worthless. So ditto, to finding somebody reliable and you get what you pay for.

Check Dillons Jewelry in Westland.
    They have cleaned,adjusted and restored 3 Bulova watches for me in the past year.Supurb service and fair pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by surenowinlife View Post
    Check Dillons Jewelry in Westland
    And your time will be a-changing........ [[my apologies)

J&R watch repair its on 10 mile and Kelly. very reasonable. I had them fix my Citizen Eco-Drive after it quit running. No complaints

On Maple rd, just west of John R there is a small watch repair shop called Triple Crown that I go there for my watch needs.

Roseville Clock Shop doesn't fix watches but they really know their clocks and have fixed an antique clock of mine with good results. Last time I was in there watches came up but I don't remember the places he mentioned.

I'd call him and see what he says. I like calling related places to what I am looking for because they have usually have good knowledge but nothing to gain by steering you somewhere else.

Good professionals in almost any trade start out at $100 per hour

What make, model and approximate vintage are you talking about? And what is not working?

HB

Here's an outside-the-box idea. The Henry Ford Museum has quite a watch collection. Why not call and ask to talk to the curator, and see what he/she recommends?

Simmons and Clark on Broadway offers watch repair. Simple battery replacement or watchband adjustment is done on site; actual repairs are farmed out - they say to long-time, skilled watchmakers. I have not tried them yet, but I there and inquired within the last month.

I have a very expensive Raymond Weil watch that was gifted to me. It needed a battery and new band. Went to Hamtramck for both. The original band was shark skin. They didn't have a dark brown or black leather band but suggested a dark green band, it looks phenomenal against the gold. The Weil company wants it shipped to New York for maintenance but that is, so not me, just lazy of course. Everything fine except the second hand is not moving, I'll try the Broadway store next.

Checked out a few mens stores while in Hamtramck, I guess we looked pretty scruffy with our faded frayed jeans and leather bomber jackets. Had security follow us even. Too funny! They sang a different story when we spent money in each. "Never judge a book by its cover", is the old adage.

Same crap at the jewelry store with my watch until they saw my Weil watch.

Sadly, my husband had my watches mate, but our son begged it off of him. He was getting married to some rich bitch,wanted the watch to get married in, and have seen little of him since. Que sera.

I would recommend Edmund T. Ahee in Grosse Pointe Woods. They have great service and fixed up my watch for me. Here's their website http://www.ahee.com/Time+Pieces/Fine...epair-135.html