Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Detroit Police Sweep; 37 arrested on West Side; Another one on the way

Operation mistletoe was a success... also if you read the article, the beginning of it sounds straight out of a movie... so damn happy to hear them starting an actual effort to clean up the streets...

This new Police Chief has been doing great.

Also at the end of the article he said there's another raid coming soon dubbed "Operation Icebreaker".

This keeps getting better.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013121...tion-mistletoe

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    This keeps getting better
    Nice first step, but if there is no follow through and the area reverts back to the same condition in a month... what was the point?

I am happy with the busts. Not to be a naysayer, but isn't it funny that there are a bunch of newsworthy, high profile busts when the EM needs some big wins? I'm sure that's no coincidence. That being said, I am really happy about them getting criminals off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Nice first step, but if there is no follow through and the area reverts back to the same condition in a month... what was the point?

so should they not even try? it's a step man like you said... who says there will be no follow through.. did they come out and say it? I really don't understand the negativity on here sometimes lol... you could say every criminal was put in jail and some of you guys would be like "oh man well all that's gonna happen is someone's gonna take their place what's the point"

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    so should they not even try? it's a step man like you said... who says there will be no follow through.. did they come out and say it? I really don't understand the negativity on here sometimes lol... you could say every criminal was put in jail and some of you guys would be like "oh man well all that's gonna happen is someone's gonna take their place what's the point"
    The point i'm trying to make is that hopefully there is support from the Prosecutor's office to ensure that this effort doesn't amount to a bit of law enforcement theater.

Arresting every drug dealer, pimp, prostitute, and gang banger in the city doesn't do a damn thing if they are just on the street the next day.

This is step one. Detroit has a loooong history of struggling with the steps that come after. [[which has led to the attitude of "why even bother with step one")
    Last edited by bailey; December-18-13 at 11:01 AM.

The point is that the police are sending a message that there are consequences for criminal behavior, and that's huge. If people are more afraid of getting caught, they're much less likely to commit a crime. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    The point is that the police are sending a message that there are consequences for criminal behavior, and that's huge. If people are more afraid of getting caught, they're much less likely to commit a crime. Pretty simple.
    ...unless there is no repercussion other than a night [[or a few hours) in county lock up followed by a plea to a lesser charge and probation you know you don't have to comply with because no one is going to come looking for you.

I'm fairly certain that very few of the people arrested in the recent sweeps are 'afraid' of getting caught. If they were afraid of being caught, they wouldn't be so brazenly flouting the law every day, all day.

The success of efforts like this comes from what happens AFTER arrest. The only way to make people comply with the law is to make sure non-compliance is painful. It remains to be seen if that will happen. Craig's doing his job, hopefully other's do theirs so all this effort isn't wasted.
    Last edited by bailey; December-18-13 at 11:06 AM.

Agreed, bailey. There does need to be harsher punishment than a night in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Agreed, bailey. There does need to be harsher punishment than a night in jail.
    Something that don't cost an arm and a leg, a little more permanet?

I don't see the Prosecuter failing. I do think the lady judges with the long glossy hair, long fingernails and poor attendance who owe their jobs to the church ladies who think their boys are just misundersood - they are the ones letting these guys off.

I think it depends on the objective. Eliminating drug dealing and prostitution will not happen. However, dramtically reducing the number of murders and other serious violent crimes is achievable. In many cases, a substantial majority of the worst violent crimes are committed by a relatively small number of offenders. If these raids can get these offenders off the streets, there may be a dramatic improvement in the number of violent crimes, and then the police can begin to focus on less serious crimes.

Im with you cman710. If the police are going to use up jail space, court time, and other resources on non violent crimes such as drugs and prostitution we will go nowhere. I can understand locking up real criminals who get caught with a gun, warrants for theft or violence but most likely many of those in the 37 arrested were for possession or warrants for possession which is a waste. There is a bottomless well of people to lock up for simple drug possession and dealing. This show does not impress me and wish the DPD would be unleashed from having to lockup folks for meaningless crimes so they could do real police work and focus on violent and thieving criminals. I could be and I hope I am wrong, that the majority locked up were such.

legalize the drugs, so the police can spend their time on real crime.

the joke is that all of these big raids are being funded by the dea. its all been drug posession arrests or posession probation/parole arrests. few guns here or there, any of them linked to murders?

i'm surprised people fall for these big photo ops.
    chief james craig -- mission accomplished.
    Last edited by compn; December-20-13 at 07:56 AM.

Film at Eleven....

if you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i'm surprised people fall for these big photo ops.
    I'm not.....