Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Architectural Effort for Detroit Renewal?

Here are six important modern buildings, some completed, some still in construction or development: Liege, Belgium railway station by Santiago Calatrava, Disney Concert Hall [[LA) by Frank Gehry, an addition to the Tate Modern [[London) by de Meuron, a museum in Baden-Baden, Germany by Richard Meier, One World Trade Center [[NY) by Daniel Libeskind, and, just for fantasy's sake, the Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, by Adrian Smith.
    Each of these buildings were conceived to be landmarks in their respective cities, intended both as major civic enhancements and attractions for visitors from around the world. Some are already fulfilling that purpose beyond expectations.
    Detroit, of course, has the same objectives but there seems to be no explicit purpose in current redevelopment efforts to employ truly outstanding architecture, both to offset some terrible losses and to signal a newer and more hopeful identity for the city. Existing institutions, private and public, are capable of some degree of commitment, at an appropriate scale, to an architectural excellence that would make the rest of the world take notice of what Detroit can do and more readily accept the city as a desirable place to set up business, thus reinforcing the initial impetus and furthering it. Yes, the Kingdom Tower is fun to think of, but the proposed Red Wings development might be a good realistic starting point for our civic interest to make some positive input for an appropriately noteworthy outcome. Name:  F1_1_Walt-Disney-Concert-Hall.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  20.7 KBName:  Aussenaufnahme_Museum_01.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  49.0 KBto Name:  2865824-Freedom_Tower_1.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  28.0 KBName:  Kingdom_Tower,_Jeddah,_render.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  76.4 KBName:  tate-modern-project-concept-view-new-building-tate-modern-south.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  60.9 KBName:  LEADERS-Santiago-Calatrava-GareLiege_cJamesEwing2.jpeg
Views: 1475
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by A2Mike; December-17-13 at 05:13 PM.

Sorry about the picture order: #1 SB Disney, #2 Baden-Baden, #3 One WTC, #4 Jeddah, #5 Tate, and #6 Liege.

The Disney concert hall is just a copy of the Bilbao museum - Gehry is a one trick pony. The Aussenaufnahme is actually the Museum Frieder Burda, semi-interesting. I like the Tate and the Liege-Guillemins train station. Giant skyscrapers don't really do it for me

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The Disney concert hall is just a copy of the Bilbao museum - Gehry is a one trick pony. The Aussenaufnahme is actually the Museum Frieder Burda, semi-interesting. I like the Tate and the Liege-Guillemins train station. Giant skyscrapers don't really do it for me
    Gehry has always been problematic for me - too mannered and self-conscious - but I do like how in LA he cleaned up his over-indulgence at Bilbao, tightened the whole composition, and fitted the program to the demands of musical performance. Self-reference aside, it might have made a commanding presence on Woodward, looming over the Edsel Ford. My personal favorite is the Liege station, a highly attractive work which practically begs to occupy the site of the Michigan Central Station as the center of a revitalized transit system, and perhaps that whole near west side. Meier's Frieder Burda would be a fine replacement for quite a few WSU buildings and the Tate Modern addition could hold its own anywhere downtown. Super tall buildings do tend to be regarded as cure-alls for the absence of so many other necessary urban amenities [[viz. Ren Cen). These are some notions of my own, but I submit them as a departure point for what the forum might think about the value of really outstanding architecture as a vital component of the city's continuing renewal.
    Last edited by A2Mike; December-17-13 at 07:13 PM.

I agree with that. Architecture is a statement about a culture, a city, what have you. How much pride do you take showing someone the Guardian for the first time?

Not all buildings need to be stand-outs, but a sea of so-so buildings makes a city look like cookie-cutter suburbiblah, and with the new buildings along Woodward, I am afraid that is what we are getting.

I agree with that. Architecture is a statement about a culture, a city, what have you. How much pride do you take showing someone the Guardian for the first time?

Not all buildings need to be stand-outs, but a sea of so-so buildings makes a city look like cookie-cutter suburbiblah, and with the new buildings along Woodward, I am afraid that is what we are getting.
    I agree and that's why I have high hopes for the Hudson's site...I'm hoping Gilbert's team does it right and makes a beautiful landmark there.

You have summed up my thoughts and concerns.

I can understand why some people are happy just to see empty spaces filled and the economic activity. But there is also a huge opportunity to push for something better.

I've always enjoyed the awe-struck looks and audible gasps of wonder that the delirious Deco Guardian elicits from out-of-town friends and relatives. Add to that treasure the crisply massed Fisher Building with its sumptuously marbled and bronzed interiors. A Parisian once said he wished it stood where the Tour Montparnasse does. A glimpse tells why.

Name:  tour-montparnasse-paris.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  26.6 KB

A city's economic health and desirability is more defined by a continuous fabric of buildings and diverse neighborhoods than iconic structures.

Detroit already has standouts. The RenCen which most of the nation can identify which has lots of office space to boot and there's also a collection of magnificent art deco skyscrapers.

Unfortunately, depopulation has led to architectural devastation leaving huge gaps in the built environment timeline of the city. Fewer large apartment buildings, lost downtown highrises, far fewer factories to rehab, and long gone mansions

The last thing Detroit needs are tall skyscrapers. With so much discussion on this page being anti-car, or parking garage, the more tall buildings you build the more parking you will need.

Please remember that we are doing things with remarkable buildings that were once empty. The Argonaut was designed by Albert Kahn, the Whitney and the Dime by Burnham are among those that have or are going through significant recreation. The recent expansion of the DIA involved Micheal Graves.

In short I don't think we are doing too bad when it comes to having noted architects in recreated buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The last thing Detroit needs are tall skyscrapers. With so much discussion on this page being anti-car, or parking garage, the more tall buildings you build the more parking you will need.

Please remember that we are doing things with remarkable buildings that were once empty. The Argonaut was designed by Albert Kahn, the Whitney and the Dime by Burnham are among those that have or are going through significant recreation. The recent expansion of the DIA involved Micheal Graves.

In short I don't think we are doing too bad when it comes to having noted architects in recreated buildings.
    DetroitPlanner while D. H. Burham & Company designed the Dime and Ford buildings, he had passed away by the time the Whitney was under development. The Whitney was designed by the company that succeeded D. H. Burnham & Company, Graham, Burnham & Company. Daniel Burnham may have done some of the initial design work, but most of the design work was done by Ernest R. Graham and Burham's sons Hubert and Daniel Jr. Graham, Burham & Company would eventually become Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the architects of the original Federal Reserve Building.

Included is an image of the David Whitney Building from a 1916 issue of the Western Architect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    DetroitPlanner while D. H. Burham & Company designed the Dime and Ford buildings, he had passed away by the time the Whitney was under development. The Whitney was designed by the company that succeeded D. H. Burnham & Company, Graham, Burnham & Company. Daniel Burnham may have done some of the initial design work, but most of the design work was done by Ernest R. Graham and Burham's sons Hubert and Daniel Jr. Graham, Burham & Company would eventually become Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the architects of the original Federal Reserve Building.

Included is an image of the David Whitney Building from a 1916 issue of the Western Architect.
    The place certainly has his terra cotta white city influences.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    I agree and that's why I have high hopes for the Hudson's site...I'm hoping Gilbert's team does it right and makes a beautiful landmark there.
    I too have high hopes that Gilbert's team makes a beautiful landmark on the Hudson's site.

I have always been proud to tell anyone I was born in the city of Detroit. But I will be less proud if meh standards, suburban design aesthetics and scale continue to creep in, eventually stealing Detroit's soul and edge. The future will be downgraded from "Don't mess with me!" to "Infill, yay!"

im in the camp that thinks Detroit already has all of its big landmarks, and that anything newer or bigger would simply ruin the skyline we have going. to me, the RenCen is it--it looks like the huge chrome hood ornament on our skyline, and i think thats what it was intended to do. it's the icon of detroit. if you built something bigger it would totally ruin that effect. look at that pic of the Eiffel Twr to see what i mean.

ive been in Liege-Guillemins train station btw, and it's great.

i am the type who hates 99% of all modern architecture, but these 2 blgs ive mentioned pass muster.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    im in the camp that thinks Detroit already has all of its big landmarks, and that anything newer or bigger would simply ruin the skyline we have going. to me, the RenCen is it--it looks like the huge chrome hood ornament on our skyline, and i think thats what it was intended to do. it's the icon of detroit. if you built something bigger it would totally ruin that effect. look at that pic of the Eiffel Twr to see what i mean.

ive been in Liege-Guillemins train station btw, and it's great.

i am the type who hates 99% of all modern architecture, but these 2 blgs ive mentioned pass muster.
    I disagree. The Ren-Cen stands out, but like the hookers on Michigan & Wyoming, not very flattering. @ the time it was built, other cities also built indentical tall chrome tube structures, so it isn't entirely unique. To me, Detroit's icon was, and always will be, the Penobscot Building. Red ball and all......

I agree about the 99% of modern architecture comment... and I'm also not as optimistic about the Hudson site... the "Z" building site is the reason... it looks like a huge plastic window air conditioning grill cover from the Farmer/Bates St. side...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I agree about the 99% of modern architecture comment... and I'm also not as optimistic about the Hudson site... the "Z" building site is the reason... it looks like a huge plastic window air conditioning grill cover from the Farmer/Bates St. side...
    I know exactly what you are saying. I find a lot of his improvements to be in poor taste too. Maybe it is because I am old enough so when I look at his stuff all I think about is "Pee Wee's Playhouse"?
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/AIadetroit412.aspx
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/des...-detroit/1546/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I disagree. The Ren-Cen stands out, but like the hookers on Michigan & Wyoming, not very flattering. @ the time it was built, other cities also built indentical tall chrome tube structures, so it isn't entirely unique. To me, Detroit's icon was, and always will be, the Penobscot Building. Red ball and all......
    The RenCen may not be unique... but it's much better than just a lame cylinder as found in the Atlanta Peachtree Hotel, and the squat 5 cylinders melded into one LA Buenaventure Center. Granted at close range the labyrinth cement structure was brutal in its' finishes, but it has withstood the test of time as the signature of Detroit's skyline, without with, it would be a small middling skyline at that.

At first I thought the 4 office towers flanking the hotel should have had glass facing... but when they built towers 500 and 600, the original 4 towers don't seem so bad after all.

Granted as an effort in helping the city, it was a monumental failure... but as part of the city's skyline... one can immediately recognize the city silhouette.

When one looks at other cities tall towers, such as the two 900 footers in Philly that try to imitate a cheap version of the Chrysler Building.... I think that Detroit's skyline could have ended up with much worse... [[Note: now that other skyscrapers have taken away those 2 towers domination, Phlly's skyline is much improved.)
    Last edited by Gistok; December-20-13 at 07:07 PM.

I know exactly what you are saying. I find a lot of his improvements to be in poor taste too. Maybe it is because I am old enough so when I look at his stuff all I think about is "Pee Wee's Playhouse"?
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/AIadetroit412.aspx
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/des...-detroit/1546/
    It reminds me more of a nursery school or kindergarten.

"Architecture is a statement about a culture, a city, what have you. How much pride do you take showing someone the Guardian for the first time?"

I agree. One further, eh? -- how about all of the Brutalist BS 'round Detroit that really puts the UGGG in fucking UGLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "Architecture is a statement about a culture, a city, what have you. How much pride do you take showing someone the Guardian for the first time?"

I agree. One further, eh? -- how about all of the Brutalist BS 'round Detroit that really puts the UGGG in fucking UGLY!
    Ahh yes.... such as the Boulevard Building in New Center [[NE corner of Woodward/E.Grand Blvd.)... what a tragedy that Albert Kahn's beautiful 1914 terra cotta front came down in the 1960s for "Bunker Baroque" brutalist architecture!

I agree. Too bad that some parking garages are built where the angled floors/ramps can be seen from a main street, instead of from the side, or not at all. The parking garage next to 1001 looks like that. Like the Z structure, the designers had to put up a symmetrical facade like the Z to turn your attention away from the angled floors/ramps.

The Opera House parking garage is very attractive to me [[as far as parking garages go). When viewing it from the Y, it looks like an office building. If you put glass in it, you wouldn't know the difference. A few other parking structures that do a good job of concealing angled floors/ramps are: the First National Building deck, the new Griswold deck behind the Westin Book Cadillac, the Compuware deck, and my all-time favorite, GM's Rivard Street deck.

I'm not an architect so I don't know what determines how a parking deck's ramps will be configured. I definitely know that those that attempt to conceal angled floors/ramps, look more appealing.

Ahh yes.... such as the Boulevard Building in New Center [[NE corner of Woodward/E.Grand Blvd.)... what a tragedy that Albert Kahn's beautiful 1914 terra cotta front came down in the 1960s for "Bunker Baroque" brutalist architecture!
    At least we don't have anything like this beauty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_City_Hall

At least we don't have anything like this beauty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_City_Hall

Yeah that is pretty ugly....any idea what the former Boston City Hall looked like?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Yeah that is pretty ugly....any idea what the former Boston City Hall looked like?

Andwered my own question.....it replaced this monstrosity *sarcasm* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_City_Hall_[[Boston)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast