Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wayne County Map 1855

I dont know if this has been posted before. Either way ENJOY!
    http://www.loc.gov/resource/g4113w.la000363a/

I noticed that Sunset Ave in Detroit off of Eight Mile Road is also called Clinton River Shore Road on Google. In the past I was able to find that a branch of the Red Run ran as far south as Eight Mile and Ryan but never found a map of it south of Eight Mile. I know that name must have come from somewhere and always wondered how far south if at all the Clinton River watershed went south into Wayne County. This maps shows a considerable amount of the Red Run pretty far into Greenfield Township.

Thanks for the great map Fareastsider!! One of the things that first stands out in this map is that you can follow it and tell where I-94 was going to be located 100 years into the future... all along the street grid changes on the map.

I like seeing the long buried East branch of the Rouge.

And I would have felt right at home with all those French names.

Good find, best representation of the strip farms I have seen. Thanks far eastsider.

Lowell, as far as French names you'd be surprised at all the Ojibway with French surnames.

Growing up in Detroit all the streets with names derived from Indian Culture meant little till I moved north and came in contact with the Ojibway.

Since this map is from circa 150 years after the first French ribbon farms... I'm wondering if the names listed are from the mid 19th century... meaning fewer French names, and more English ones??

I was surprised at how few street names in the Grosse Pointes and east riverfront in Detroit are familar to the street names of today. But then again... the Cass Farm is no longer shown or named, so the names probably do reflect mid 19th century names.

Great map! It would be interesting to see the modern boundaries and streets overlaid upon this map. Specifically, where are Highland Park and New Center?

As an aside, I've recently realized that my grandfather was five years old when Pres. Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address. So, an 1885 map doesn't seem that so far away!

My grandfather used to visit his kids working in the Ford plants back in the early 20th century.

It is a pretty impressive map and shows the evolution of demographics in the area surrounding the town proper. The ribbon farms with all those french names close to the center makes an awful lot of sense. Intriguing nonetheless.