Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: From Ray1936

Default From Ray1936

Gang, sorry to report I was taken Ill in Northern Michigan and ended up at Munson Medical Center, where the urgent problem was taken care of, but I have to see my physicians back in Nevada. After a couple of days of rest after the ER visit, we finally are on our way back to NV. Left Traverse City this a.m. and pulled in to Springfield, IL, this evening to flop. Marge is driving. I'm generally comfortable. Details when I get home and have a better internet connection.

So sorry Ray; hope all is well soon

Sorry to hear...Feel well Ray...Whaler

We're sorry to hear you were taken ill, Ray. Here's hoping you will soon be back on top of the world. It is a nightmare to be sick any time but especially when far from home.

Never fun getting ill on a road trip away from home and your own doctors. Hope you get better asap. I was up in Traverse/Harbor Springs this morning, too. Saw some nice color changes in the trees up there.

hope your doing better ray and safe travels home

Sorry to hear that Ray. Get well and get home. Nothing like your own pillow.

Hey the Tigers are in the playoffs and the Lions are 2-0. That ought lift your spirits.

Very sorry to hear about your illness, Ray. I hope that whatever it is you are able to fully recuperate in a short time. God Bless!

Ray1936 and Marge: Thinking about you and wishing you good health and a safe journey home. Hope you are feeling better, Ray!!

Sorry about the turn of events. Get back home and rest up. We need you.

Oh no! Hope you are feeling better soon! You didn't get sick off the food at Clamdiggers, did you?

Stromberg2

I wish you well, grumpy old patient. Nevada awaits your grumpy return. I also wish them well in you're grumpiness. But seriously, I hope everything is all right, we need you here on the forum.

Ray, you didn't eat the "River Squirrel" did you?

Day two, and half way home. We're in Weatherford OK tonight at a Best WEstern. Traffic normal and road construction no problem. Marge is driving, and I am generally comfortable in the jump seat. Illness is a urology problem, and the installed catheter comes a tad irritating from time to time, but we'll make it. Appreciate all the above good wishes; you guys are something else.

No, didn't eat the river squirrel, OG, but I did nip on the wine perhaps a bit too much.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ray, please be careful and get well soon.

Day three. Gallup, NM. Six more hours to home tomorrow. Very tired but not hurting. Poor Marge is really pushing it and is tired also. She has been an absolute angel to me during this experience. When I get back 'on my feet' I will pamper the daylights out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    When I get back 'on my feet' I will pamper the daylights out of her.
    Ray... hopefully you'll take the catheder out first...

Although I wanted to say "at least you don't have to make any pit stops"..... but all I can say is.... ouch!

Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Ray, you didn't eat the "River Squirrel" did you?
    I hope this will not be the next best thing! Get well soon, Ray.

Just in case - here is a link for future dining.

http://my.net-link.net/~vaneselk/muskrat/recipes.htm

AKA "Marsh Rabbit"

Also "Muskrat Love" to play during your dining experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKw8j...eature=related

Muskrat meatloaf recipe.

MUSKRAT MEAT LOAF
    Category: Wild Game
    Author: 36
    Date: 7/14/2002
    Hits: 515
    Rating:Rating 2.9[[2.9) by 16 users
    Ingredients:
    1 1/2 lbs. ground muskrat
    Water
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. salt
    2 beaten eggs
    1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
    1/3 cup dry crumbs
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 cup evaporated milk
    1/4 minced or grated onion
    Instructions:
    Soak muskrat overnight in salted water [[1 tbsp. salt to 1 qt. water). Drain, remove meat from bones, and grind. Mix ground meat thoroughly with other ingredients. Place in meat loaf dish. Place dish in pan containing hot water. Bake in moderate oven [[350 degrees) for 1 1/4 - 2 hours. Serves 6-8.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-24-11 at 01:22 AM.

Kchiamo, you must remember to respect the muskrat, she is the savior of the world, you know. Because she lives in the water, her meat, as well as Beaver's tail, could be eaten on Friday in the diocese of Detroit. That is why she remains so popular in the former French colony of Monroe.

Welcome home, Ray. I'm sure a relief to get THAT behind you [[no hidden meanings there!).

Now you can concentrate on resting and looking forward to pampering Marge.

All my best...

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Because she lives in the water, her meat, as well as Beaver's tail, could be eaten on Friday in the diocese of Detroit.
    I never knew that. Interesting.

Yes, there are a couple of stories as to why. Here, the Archdiocese paints it as a way for the trappers to avoid starvation:

http://www.aodonline.org/AODOnline/N...skrat+love.htm

There is also a story about how much they loved the Beavertail, and begged for it to be classified as fish so they could eat it any day. Having had beavertail, I can agree, it is delicious, and a lot more substantial than fish.

Ray, I hope you're home safely and getting better and better in every way.

We've spent many a night in that Weatherford Best Western. It's well situated on our trips to/from the south and the midwest. You were fortunate to find a room in western OK. For much of this year the oil service companies had many, many places booked as they began servicing and reopening wells that had been shut down when oil prices crated a couple of years ago. A couple of times we went from town to town before finding a place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast