Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thomas Magee's Sporting House Whiskey Bar in Eastern Market?

Anyone been here? What's the deal? When did it open?

"Sports, whiskey, and good times [[as in merriment, not as in the old television program) -- three of owner Erik Olson’s favorite things, which he's decided to combine under one roof in the Market District. Aside from Michigan-made whiskeys and beer, there’s also a game room complete with bubble hockey and Golden Tee, along with a dedicated beer hall that’s still in the works."

http://www.thrillist.com/venues/thom...se-whiskey-bar

http://www.yelp.com/biz/thomas-magee...r-detroit?nb=1

I'm assuming it's in this place?

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-12 at 4.16.55 PM.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  34.0 KB

Was there twice before Thanksgiving. Nice beer selection, all bottles, no taps. No real food or plans for food, but was told it was cool to order in or carry in. They did have a grill set up for the lions game. Seems like a good corner bar and is currently the closest bar to my condo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    I'm assuming it's in this place?

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-12 at 4.16.55 PM.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  34.0 KB
    Looks inviting.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post
    Was there twice before Thanksgiving. Nice beer selection, all bottles, no taps. No real food or plans for food, but was told it was cool to order in or carry in. They did have a grill set up for the lions game. Seems like a good corner bar and is currently the closest bar to my condo.
    Wanted to try this place, but no food is extremely disappointing. Where the hell am I going to get food to carry/order in Detroit late when I'm at the bar. Yuck.

I'm assuming it doesn't have the "usual amenities" normally associated with a "sporting house"

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Wanted to try this place, but no food is extremely disappointing. Where the hell am I going to get food to carry/order in Detroit late when I'm at the bar. Yuck.
    Supino's and Sala Thai in the market are open til 10pm, the coneys on Lafayette later. And then, of course, there's Greektown.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I'm assuming it doesn't have the "usual amenities" normally associated with a "sporting house"
    I like where your head is at.

I heard it is in the same spot as Murphys and Tavern In The Market. It is by Gratiot Central Market.

We are located at 1408 east fisher. We are on the south side service dr, two doors off Russell. Yes, we are in the building that was tavern on the market and eventually Murphy's, which closed in 1997.

Someone created an incorrect yelp location which has us on the other side of the freeway. We are between the art store and bike shop.

WE DO HAVE 10 BEERS ON TAP AND WILL BE ADDING A COUPLE MORE OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS

We have a always expanding whiskey list, chips and peanuts for snacks , and a stack of local menus to order food in.

9 tv's, golden tee, bubble hockey, and dart boards with keno coming soon.

we have every sports package, every game and we show all the fights.

I'm building a beer hall that should be completed soon.

Please bear with us while we complete the front of the building over the next few weeks.

Hope this helps, look forward to meeting everybody, E

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    I like where your head is at.
    Lucky for you it's not where some people think I have it.

Nice to see the space being utilized. Hope it goes well and hope they put in a kitchen or a griddle and deep frier
    Last edited by rb336; December-13-13 at 06:51 PM.

I bartended there on Saturdays, when it was Murphys

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Supino's and Sala Thai in the market are open til 10pm, the coneys on Lafayette later. And then, of course, there's Greektown.
    So when I get to this bar at 10 p.m. and want some food, I only have to take a short one-mile walk [[each way) to the nearest eatery! Awesome! Sorry, but carry-out and quick food is barely available in downtown Detroit after 6 p.m. An isolated place like this just seems silly to not serve food. I patronize a few bars downtown that don't serve late and people get sent a few blocks [[not too big of a deal) when they want food. What's the closest place someone could grab some quick food late night here to carry in? Buffalo Wild Wings? Bucharest?

So when I get to this bar at 10 p.m. and want some food, I only have to take a short one-mile walk [[each way) to the nearest eatery! Awesome! Sorry, but carry-out and quick food is barely available in downtown Detroit after 6 p.m. An isolated place like this just seems silly to not serve food. I patronize a few bars downtown that don't serve late and people get sent a few blocks [[not too big of a deal) when they want food. What's the closest place someone could grab some quick food late night here to carry in? Buffalo Wild Wings? Bucharest?
    Geez.

No one is forcing you to go there. If you can't enjoy yourself without stuffing your face go elsewhere. Believe it or not plenty of bars do quite well financially without dealing with the hassle of having a kitchen.

Relax my man, I hear they have a drink invented just for you:

1 oz chartreuse
    1 oz 151
    1 cube of sugar
    set it afire

... It is called, The Flaming Couch or Flaming Davenport if you are from DelRay

Hehehe.... Spartan... take along a sandwich...

Why not have a dinner before 10pm and then go and enjoy the night. have you been to Jumbo's, The Comet or The Old Miami?
    Great bars with NO food. Order a pizza for delivery or Jimmy John's, then you get some food.

We are a bar. Not a restaurant. Get a bite to eat before you come and watch the game my man. Soup of the day is whiskey

go green, go white.

Is the ladies room still up on the 2nd floor?

[attach]22216[/attacAttachment 22216h]

Brand new bathrooms, ground level

How was the Bad Santa Xmas Party?

Quote Originally Posted by Motowneast View Post
    We are located at 1408 east fisher. We are on the south side service dr, two doors off Russell. Yes, we are in the building that was tavern on the market and eventually Murphy's, which closed in 1997.

Someone created an incorrect yelp location which has us on the other side of the freeway. We are between the art store and bike shop.

WE DO HAVE 10 BEERS ON TAP AND WILL BE ADDING A COUPLE MORE OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS

We have a always expanding whiskey list, chips and peanuts for snacks , and a stack of local menus to order food in.

9 tv's, golden tee, bubble hockey, and dart boards with keno coming soon.

we have every sports package, every game and we show all the fights.

I'm building a beer hall that should be completed soon.

Please bear with us while we complete the front of the building over the next few weeks.

Hope this helps, look forward to meeting everybody,

E
    Best of luck to you but I really , really hope some sort of decent food is available down the road.. doesnt have to be over the edge but it will certainly help sustain you and attract people like myself who live nearby. Many people look for this when entering any type of bar. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by ElbertHanks View Post
    Geez.

No one is forcing you to go there. If you can't enjoy yourself without stuffing your face go elsewhere. Believe it or not plenty of bars do quite well financially without dealing with the hassle of having a kitchen.
    Of course they do, I've been to plenty of great bars that don't serve food. I was just disappointed that this particular one doesn't have it, since there are very few options for late-night food in that area. I'm sure I'll still check it out some time, as I do love whiskey and sports.

Went last night for the first time. Nice little place, love the inside. For some reason though, all the music was 90s Gangster Rap. They have a small game room in the back with bubble hockey, darts, etc. Bartender said there will be a beer hall attached [[through the game room). They had a garage door on the outside, would be cool if they kept that and were able to open it in the summer.

Definitely not a cheap place, but reasonable [[$5-6 beers, for example). I don't see myself becoming a regular, but I expect to go back a few times [[assuming the music isn't always the same). It's nice to have a place open late night on that side of town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast