Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default July 18, 2009 Tiger Stadium Images

The latest aerial images of the Tiger Stadium Demolition.

FlyByDon

Thanks again Don for documenting this. Excellent job.
    I can't wait until we see the stunning new development in this area!

Thanks, Don. Is that a FLAG POLE with the flag erected in center-field where the old Tiger Stadium flag pole was? It wasn't there in the earlier demo pics.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Thanks again Don for documenting this. Excellent job.
    I can't wait until we see the stunning new development in this area!
    It will be a beautiful urban prarie with a flag pole near the middle providing no one takes the pole for scrap metal.

Great photos - interesting, sad but neat. I think it's surreal the grass and infield are still there.

Saw an episode of that "After Man" show or whatever it's called the other night, and they had video of the concrete soccer stadium near the Chernobyl nuclear site -- the pitch was filled with a forest of large trees in just 20 years!

I recall about a decade ago there was a site that did sequential stills [[I think from a static cam) of old Cleveland Municipal Stadium being torn down and the replacement stadium go up on the same site.

I sure hope something cool goes on that site. That's a primo spot.

I chatted with former Tigers pitcher Dave Rozema last month about pitching at Tiger Stadium as a player and pitching these days at Comerica for fantasy camps. He had some cool stories and enjoyed pitching at The Corner.

What's the status of the demolition? As of last Saturday evening, the Michigan-Cochrane corner including pressbox elevator tower was still standing. Anyone know when it is slated to come down?

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Thanks, Don. Is that a FLAG POLE with the flag erected in center-field where the old Tiger Stadium flag pole was? It wasn't there in the earlier demo pics.
    Yes, It's still flying and in the same place.
    Attachment 2558

FlyByDon

It has been a month since the last pictures were taken. Has the elevator shaft been torn down yet?

No, It just sits there, kind of like mocking the neighborhood.

Stromberg2

Giving the neighborhood the shaft, eh, Strom?

Oh, geez. Why the hell did they stop with the demo?

You got that right, Ray. It's kind of sickening.

Stromberg2

Seriously, what is taking so damn long? There's no reason TS isn;t a vacant field already. Seriously, I think the COD is dragging its knuckles with this just to piss off the preservationists and sentimental baseball tools like myself. Tear this schitt down already!!!

You've probably already heard... The thing that was taking so long was getting the permit to block part of Michigan Ave. I guess it's a Federal Highway or something. The elevator tower is too close to the street.

So, now the permit is given and they say it should all be cleaned up by October 1st.

Well, at least it was there long enough for my brother to come up from Florida for a visit.

-- Tim

Check out this Henry Payne editorial cartoon from the 9/2 Detroit News; the caption reads "It's 2050....and old Tiger Stadium is still awaiting demolition permits!"
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/cartoons/index.php

Permit issue fouls up Tiger Stadium demolition again
    Detroit News, September 1
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...molition-again

Detroit News:
    "We have the permit now," says George W. Jackson Jr., the stadium-weary development chief. Had the stadium been torn down 14 months ago, as planned, the demolition company would have paid the city for the privilege of reusing the bricks, the concrete and steel that once held the stadium together. Instead, the high prices of steel and concrete collapsed late last summer, and the city's now coughing up $400,000 to complete the job.
    While I am fairly quiet on these issues, I think it is the height of incompetence that the city is now paying $400,000 to finish this job. I understand that the fault for the hold-ups lies in various people's hands, including the preservationists, this kind of waste is awful considering the financial state of the city right now. Surely the DEGC has better uses for this money.

Lastly, I will note that I do think the DEGC now has no choice but to spend the $400,000. I just think that they should not have done it in the first place if it would cost that much money.

New Red Wings Area, here we come.