Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rosa Parks Transit Center

Jump to updated 2019 discussion >>>

Original 2009 post...
    Has anyone been inside the new transit center in downtown detroit. It looks nice. I wonder how are Tim Horton's and Burger King going to fit in there?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Has anyone been inside the new transit center in downtown detroit. It looks nice. I wonder how are Tim Horton's and Burger King going to fit in there?
    I think that both will be located on the basement level of the transit center. It's the only way it will fit. I went inside the transit center when it first opened. It's real nice. It would be great if they had more bus bays assigned for SMART.
    Last edited by Tig3rzhark; July-18-09 at 08:35 AM.

I haven't noticed a basement to the place.

There is basement in the Rosa Parks Transit Center. The skylight windows located next to the bus bay enterance is the key.

...I wonder how are Tim Horton's and Burger King going to fit in there?
    There are suppose to be three, possibly four, areas to be used for retail — one exterior and two interior spaces, and another possibly located in the concourse area. The two larger interior areas are located on the main level and upper level floors. The main level retail space [[where a future Tim Horton's is rumored to be located) can be found in the large room [[currently closed) located behind the public restrooms. The upper level retail area [[rumored to be a future Burger King Express) currently houses a Tribute to Rosa Parks exhibit. That display is scheduled to remain available for viewing for one month.

But I've also heard rumors ranging from a newspaper stand, a hot dog stand or a small-scale convenience store as also possible future retail tenants. DDOT is suppose to announce the actual vendors in the next few months.
    Last edited by bc_n_dtown; July-18-09 at 03:33 PM.

I haven't noticed a basement to the place.
    Yes there is a basement in the RPTC, but it will not be used for retail. The basement level is located on the south end of the Center and primarily houses security offices, storage and locker rooms, but also a boiler room. It's where the DPD Transit Police detail offices are located.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bc_n_dtown View Post
    But I've also heard rumors ranging from a newspaper stand, a hot dog stand or a small-scale convenience store as also possible future retail tenants. DDOT is suppose to announce the actual vendors in the next few months.
    I think a Cheesecake Factory Express would be kick-ass.

I was surprised to find at least two Free Press and Detroit News paper boxes out along Cass at the Rosa Parks site. I thought these papers were trying to get out of the "paper box" business, but it's good to see they put a few in here. Hopefully there's enough traffic to empty them daily.

When will the gentrification of Capitol Park begin?!

security is doing a good job keeping the riffraff and drug dealers away. but one security laspe; the drug dealers, addicts, and riffraff will come around the centers.

Last night, I rode my bike around the area in search of a DDOT bus with a bike rack.

Not only I was disappointed, but when I checked with an employee, it seems that there is trouble with the displays showing the correct schedule for each bus.

The displays need to be reprogrammed to match the schedules that DDOT has printed. Also since SMART buses stop there as well, their arrival and departure times should be displayed as well.

There was suppose to be free wi-fi in the transit center. Unfortunately, there is no wi-fi available at the transit center yet, and their this no news on when this will be corrected.

So when are they going to put the bike racks they bought years ago on the DDOT buses? or did they get scrapped by Kwame to pay his legal fees?

DetroitDad Guest

The foot traffic that has come to the area is amazing. This is already having a huge impact on Downtown Detroit, it is bringing people out to the edges of the Central Business District. I am also surprised that Capital Park is still so busy.

By the way, the lights that shine on the canopies end up shining up on the Book Tower, they really make it look amazing. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by arcas View Post
    So when are they going to put the bike racks they bought years ago on the DDOT buses? or did they get scrapped by Kwame to pay his legal fees?

I tried finding out from the employees, only to find out that because of "federal regulations" as the excuse from the higher ups to the employees that the rest of the buses cannot be equipped with bike racks. There is a possibly that the money that was obtained from the feds has not been fully used as intended.

I have sent a letter to the city council president as well as my county commissioner, and state representative in hopes that this situation would be brought to their attention and action would be immediately taken.

security is doing a good job keeping the riffraff and drug dealers away. but one security laspe; the drug dealers, addicts, and riffraff will come around the centers.
    I am not sure what "one security lapse" means here--this isn't analogous to a bank robbery or cockroaches or a terrorist attack--if security is lacking temporarily, when it comes back they can get rid of the people who shouldn't be there pretty easily. They don't hide in cracks or lay eggs or do irreparable damage. They just annoy people. If the security is reasonably consistent, I expect these people will go hang out somewhere less well policed--they shouldn't have much trouble finding such a place.

Default bike rack

It appears that detroit doesn't want to make it easier for bikers and pedestrians. A bike rack will be too much like right. It appears that Detroit is still in the clutches of the big three and the leaders still want people to by cars instead of encouraging residents to ride bikes[[bicycle racks on buses) or walking by having more restaurants and retail along michigan, woodward, jefferson and gratiot.

It appears that detroit doesn't want to make it easier for bikers and pedestrians. A bike rack will be too much like right. It appears that Detroit is still in the clutches of the big three and the leaders still want people to by cars instead of encouraging residents to ride bikes[[bicycle racks on buses) or walking by having more restaurants and retail along michigan, woodward, jefferson and gratiot.
    yes, it's because of the automakers! i heard from a very reputable source that sam riddle [[on behalf of mayor bing) accepted $10,000 from fritz henderson to NOT install bike racks on the busses

MIRepublic Guest

What a bunch of bull that was, stasu. Yeah, it's a conspiracy. lol Really, GTFOH with that.

MIRepublic. Why do you think detroit doesnt have mass transit. When Northland Mall was built a street car could had been designed to go out there but the street car was abolished the same year or sometimes after. The city is labled "The Motor City". The city couldnt represent unless many people living in it has a car. You need it to go to a decent grocery store which is out in the suburbs. The bus system is still crap which will motivate a person to buy any crap of a car. No retail in downtown detroit. A good transit system will mean less demand for cars you idiot

MIRepublic Guest

"You idiot"? That's rich. I'm one of the biggest mass transit supporters you'll find, but you conspiracy bullshit is just that: bullshit. It's because of people like you that it's taken the rest of us transit advocates so long to be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by arcas View Post
    DDOT has not purchased any bike racks yet. [[They do have some as demos.) They're still working out technical issues between two different rack models, one which handles two bikes and the other which handles three.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    DDOT has not purchased any bike racks yet. [[They do have some as demos.) They're still working out technical issues between two different rack models, one which handles two bikes and the other which handles three.
    So tell me, why aren't those issues being publicized? The excuse that I heard from an unnamed employee of DDOT was "federal regulations". That was the excuse from the higher ups why the bike racks haven't been equipped.

The feds allow bike racks on buses, nearly all the transit agencies in the region already use them. Funding was approved for this project by the feds quite a while ago. http://www.semcog.org/Data/Apps/proj...TIP&id=2002194

I am assuming that the person who you talked to just was not the right person. It may have moved from the planning stage and into implementation.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; July-22-09 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The feds allow bike racks on buses, nearly all the transit agencies in the region already use them. Funding was approved for this project by the feds quite a while ago. http://www.semcog.org/Data/Apps/proj...TIP&id=2002194

I am assuming that the person who you talked to just was not the right person. It may have moved from the planning stage and into implementation.
    I've looked at that documentation as well.

However, have you ever been on a DDOT bus or have seen most of them? The city government has a history of misappropriating money. It would be no surprise if that money was misappropriated already.

If you go to the transit center today, the only buses that you would find that have bike racks on them would be Transit Windsor and SMART and maybe 1 DDOT bus.

detroit city govt has a history of not caring for DDOT or it's passengers. For years buses had been running late for the reasons of mechanical failure to buses or buses taken off lines etc. Those bike racks on buses comes in handy. I had a flat tire on my bike while I was downtown. A smart bus came so I had put my bike on the rack and ridden the bus home since I had lived so close to a smart bus stop.

Default no mass transit in detroit

Hey MichRepublic! I too attended meetings held for mass transit in Michigan. We were suppose to had it up and running in November 2006. The Amtrack rail lines were going to be used as a first phase with a small car transporting people from Pontiac to Ann Arbor. Two weeks before the cars were suppose to run there was a halt put on the project with no explaination. The Gov didn't explain why nor the planners or anyone. Michigan doesn't even have an express bus that would take you to the airport from downtown. You will have to cab it, drive yourself, or get some expensive van to take you. All three are dealing with the automobile company. I still hold to what I am saying

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast