Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Description of Kevyn Orr in NY Times

Love him or hate him, you have to admire someone leaving home to take on a tough, thankless job like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Love him or hate him, you have to admire someone leaving home to take on a tough, thankless job like this one.
    I would agree that it is a tough job, but thankless? I suspect that he will do quite well, financially.

We're lucky to have him.

I don't think the Detroit job will hurt his resume -- but neither was it necessary for him. I'm sure his tax return had lots of zeros well before Detroit.

Thanks, Kevin, for taking on this challenge and helping Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's certainly less tough to be an appointed dictator who doesn't have to answer to anybody than to be an actual public official [[unless you're the sleepwalking Dave Bing). As for thanks, I'm sure he will have the thanks of every GOP official in Lansing [[and a fair number of outstate Dems too), for getting the state off the hook to meet its obligations to its largest city, and for getting that obligation off the state's books by sinking it into the city's bankruptcy. And he will certainly do a hell of a lot better financially than all of the actual working people he's going to screw out of the money they earned.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-09-13 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I would agree that it is a tough job, but thankless? I suspect that he will do quite well, financially.
    As he should. He likely took a 60-70% salary cut to take the job.

60-70% salary cut: Heh, heh, oh, but of course!
    Want to buy a bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    As he should. He likely took a 60-70% salary cut to take the job.
    No, he didn't take that much of a cut. Get real.

He said he took the job for the impact it would have on his CV.

Therefore, fuck the people of Detroit, I'm just doing this is further my career. I'm sure book deal/s will come down the pipe, along with speaking engagements, etc. This guy is a real fucking piece of work. If you think he give two shits about the people, then there's a some lakefront property on the Moon I wanna sell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    No, he didn't take that much of a cut. Get real.

He said he took the job for the impact it would have on his CV.

Therefore, fuck the people of Detroit, I'm just doing this is further my career. I'm sure book deal/s will come down the pipe, along with speaking engagements, etc. This guy is a real fucking piece of work. If you think he give two shits about the people, then there's a some lakefront property on the Moon I wanna sell ya.
    You're right. It was probably more of a pay cut than that.

A partner that is a rainmaker like Orr -- not to mention a coveted woman or minority partner -- would typically make 1.5 times the average profits per partner [[or more) at firm like Jones Day, which compensates partners more according to an eat-what-you-kill model than in lockstep.

Given that Jones Day's profits per partner came in at $915,000 in 2012 [[http://www.americanlawyer.com/firmPr...name=Jones+Day), it's probable that he made well beyond that number prior to coming to the city, tempered only by the fact that a bankruptcy practice is relatively unprofitable compared to other kinds of deal work.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It's certainly less tough to be an appointed dictator who doesn't have to answer to anybody than to be an actual public official [[unless you're the sleepwalking Dave Bing). As for thanks, I'm sure he will have the thanks of every GOP official in Lansing [[and a fair number of outstate Dems too), for getting the state off the hook to meet its obligations to its largest city, and for getting that obligation off the state's books by sinking it into the city's bankruptcy. And he will certainly do a hell of a lot better financially than all of the actual working people he's going to screw out of the money they earned.
    What evidence do you have that he's going to screw anyone? He's making the best of a terrible situation. Kevyn Orr did NOTHING to create this problem. He's giving back. And we kick him for it.

Where were you when the pension trustees were giving out extra cash? Wanna be mad about someone screwing pensioners? You didn't need to wait for Orr.

And we don't even yet know what he's going to recommend. But he's guilty already.

Great way to save Detroit you've got. Bitch about Orr. Good idea, Einstein.

Default Give back

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    What evidence do you have that he's going to screw anyone? He's making the best of a terrible situation. Kevyn Orr did NOTHING to create this problem. He's giving back. And we kick him for it.

Where were you when the pension trustees were giving out extra cash? Wanna be mad about someone screwing pensioners? You didn't need to wait for Orr.

And we don't even yet know what he's going to recommend. But he's guilty already.

Great way to save Detroit you've got. Bitch about Orr. Good idea, Einstein.

He is not "giving back" He never stole anything. He is doing his job.

Mr. Orr is neither savior nor super-villain. But quality of life issues for Detroit residents [[should) be the determining factor in assessing whether the bankruptcy filing/restructuring was worth it.