Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default we better pay attention...

There will be many great things to result from Detroit’s historic bankruptcy:
    Improved financial management in city government.
    Lights.
    Improved public safety.
    A newfound structure for the city’s preeminent art museum.

But let’s not kid ourselves.
    What needs to rise most from the ashes of this tragic chapter in the city’s history is: improved vigilance and leadership.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013120...g-improvements
    Last edited by Vic01; December-08-13 at 06:25 AM.

I for one, place great hope and faith in our new mayor and council. I think there is an old adage [[curse) maybe, that says, may you live in interesting times.

I know lighting is a huge issue and much has been said. Might as well throw my two cents worth in. I rarely drive at night. I knew all of Vernor from Mt Eliot to st Jean was out but thought Kercheval was ok. Dead wrong! All of Kercheval lighting is out except for the blocks that encompass Indian Village and West Village.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I for one, place great hope and faith in our new mayor and council. I think there is an old adage [[curse) maybe, that says, may you live in interesting times.

I know lighting is a huge issue and much has been said. Might as well throw my two cents worth in. I rarely drive at night. I knew all of Vernor from Mt Eliot to st Jean was out but thought Kercheval was ok. Dead wrong! All of Kercheval lighting is out except for the blocks that encompass Indian Village and West Village.
    The thing is, I don't expect Kercheval to be re-lit.

Keep in mind [[something that has been lost in this "turn on the lights" discussion") is that only half of the streetlights in commission will be coming back on. Given how relatively depopulated and lightly traveled the Kercheval corridor is [[also the fact that this area is being re-zoned for agriculture under the Detroit Future City concept), the parts that are dark now will likely remain dark.

The fact is, some people in Detroit will still be without lighting when it's all said and done.

For example, there was an article earlier this year in one of the newspapers about businesses along the Vernor corridor in SW Detroit pooling money to have Vernor Avenue re-lit themselves because they're not prioritized in the city's lighting overhaul project.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-08-13 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Improved public safety.
    Until 11th precinct gets enough courage to go patrol in K Town just across the street, Never in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The fact is, some people in Detroit will still be without lighting when it's all said and done.
    I noticed a lot of alley lights in most neighborhoods still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I noticed a lot of alley lights in most neighborhoods still work.
    I noticed that too.

I don't expect it to remain that way though once the overhaul takes place.

Seems pretty disingenuous to me that a columnist for one of our two equally lame daily papers is lecturing us on paying too much attention to the silly stuff and not enough on the real issues.