Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ralph Hogg has parted ways with us.

Name:  ralph hogg n me.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  51.9 KB Ralph Hogg, Cass Corridor artist, blacksmith, and central figure in the old school community here in the Corridor left us Monday. I'm gonna miss Ralph and his antics. We were probably the first two people of many to be banned from the new Honest Johns after they first opened. Ralph hooked me up with a great truck I needed for a great price. He bailed me out of jail and waited over five hours in the lobby downtown until they released me so that we could make Dally in the Alley happen the next day, I loved his handsome Bouvier's, his home, and work space. He turned me onto work and told me all the colorful stories about the Corridor in the early 70s and 80s before I came to live here. I especially remember having Ralph and friends over for Thanksgiving one year and having a most excellent night. Ralph was there for me and I tried to be there for him but he never was the type to ask for help. Theres a lot of people that are gonna miss you Ralph, rock on wherever you are.

Spirits like that get to spend eternity with Jesus,
    Last edited by MotorCityTrikes; December-07-13 at 10:52 PM.

From Ralph's friend Kay, now living in Germany:
    "Even though I am geographically far away I feel Ralphs absence profoundly.

To me Ralphs cheer and good humor was a manifestation of his sense of caring and community.

His dream was to help create a fairer place where underdogs would have a chance. In this eandeavour

he touched many lives including mine.

Over the years Ralph made me aware of many historial facts and features of Detroit and more generally Michigan

and I continue to feel very enriched by this. Ralph was a good friend to me and my family and someone that I

knew I could trust.

While I miss him greatly, I remember him fondly. Ralph may you rest in peace. I raise my glass to you"

Django- nice story. Sorry for your loss

His memorial was yesterday at the Cass Cafe. I completely forgot to announce it here ahead of time. It was a wonderful send off.

Thanks reblock, for passing that on.

I met Ralph a couple of times!!!...Very interesting to talk to!!!..He came to our Gar Wood reunion at the Old Miami...I know his dear friend Sharon misses him terribly ...RIP...Whaler

I wonder if we know each other Whaler. I spoke of a Thanksgiving with Ralph and it was Sharon who was one of our other guests. It was great fun hearing stories of the Corridor from both of them. Saw her at the Cass Cafe Sunday. She claims she took the pick above of Ralph at the MCBW but Im pretty certain it was a bartender who took it at the Miami with my camera. The memorial had a great collection of old pics of Ralph and a few of him in his kilt. They had his kilt on display as well.

We just might Django...I'm friends with PGN...I have been slowed down with health issues haven't been downtown in a while...Sharon called me when Ralph passed away...I felt so bad for her!!!...Sorry for your loss man!!!...Whaler