Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default US approves $41.6 million for Detroit bus service

DETROIT [[AP) - Federal officials plan to provide $41.6 million to the Detroit Department of Transportation that will be boosted by about $10 million in local and state funds.
    The money announced Thursday by Sens. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan is from the Federal Transit Administration.
    Plans call for the funds to be used for preventative maintenance to bus facilities, vehicle maintenance and overhauling 60 buses. The money also will support projects to improve DDOT's bus and passenger facilities, and to help repair and upgrade downtown's Rosa Parks Transit Center.
    In a statement, the senators say new bus shelters and security equipment for DDOT facilities also are planned.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    DETROIT [[AP) - Federal officials plan to provide $41.6 million to the Detroit Department of Transportation that will be boosted by about $10 million in local and state funds.
    The money announced Thursday by Sens. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan is from the Federal Transit Administration.
    Plans call for the funds to be used for preventative maintenance to bus facilities, vehicle maintenance and overhauling 60 buses. The money also will support projects to improve DDOT's bus and passenger facilities, and to help repair and upgrade downtown's Rosa Parks Transit Center.
    In a statement, the senators say new bus shelters and security equipment for DDOT facilities also are planned.
    It costs the City of Detroit about $50 Million per year to operate DDOT from the general fund. Can this money along with the state fuel tax of about another $70 Million per year remain intact? Will the RTA tax on car registration pay for DDOT in addition to existing funds?

I truly hope this money helps. DDOT and SMART have both been through some budget cuts as you DetroitYES people know and in my opinion, public bus service should be greatly expanded. I think there is big demand for it due to the high cost of driving. The baby boomers are getting old also and will need better mass transit in my opinion. So, the important question is how should we pay as a region?

Order better designed busses. Something with wider aisles and more leg room. These busses aisle ways are too narrow. I had bumping into passengers knees when walking past them for their legs are in the aisleway due to little legroom.I am not asking for luxury but cmon. Windsor's busses are much better. Roomier with wider aisle. I had ridden a bus in Manhattan. Their busses have wider aisles and more roomier. Who order these busses for the city? Fire that person/people and put everyday transit commuters on the board