Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Starting A New Store!

Hello! I'm currently working on a new retail concept known as G30. My partner and I don't have any seed money yet, and we're not asking for it[[on here), but simply your opinions on our business. We plan on taking this to investors and venture capitalists, such as Start Garden and D: Hive, soon. While it may seem like yet another store in an infinite world of retail shops, G30 is aiming to be quite unique. We plan to offer an "old world" retail concept, which allows you to go through the store and pick what you would like to be waiting for you at the check-out desk- with your own phone. G30 plans to carry major recycled goods at high prices, which is why we feel that the retail shop should be more of a showroom than a normal store, which will help spark your creativity. We also plan to be community oriented; We plan to host monthly contests within the community, and the winner would have their product or idea showcased in the store for 1 month. This is just a detailed summary! Excited yet? For the full story, here's our website: http://www.g2concept.weebly.com/ let us know what you think! *By the way, I see the irony in the header being NYC... whoops.
    Last edited by jw101; December-06-13 at 11:50 PM.

Diversity will win the day here in Detroit's comeback era. I like your web site and the idea is unique. If you find someone interested in investing in a new "All Detroit" based business's let me know I have a motorcycle Trike project with Roush and need help with the prototype. Good Luck to you hope it's a huge success.

Thanks! I'll keep you updated.

God Bless you. worked in retail for 30 yrs and totally shun stores now as best I can. Detroit, of course, needs new life so I wish you the best!

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of a gallery with checkout in front - makes everything a bit classier.

A couple of quick suggestions -

1. Streamline the heck out of the app. Don't require logins, passwords, or anything like that.

2. Not sure if you have your infrastructure set up or not, but Squarespace is *awesome* for e-commerce stuff. They'll do inventory, automatic mobile optimization, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Sounds interesting. I like the idea of a gallery with checkout in front - makes everything a bit classier.

A couple of quick suggestions -

1. Streamline the heck out of the app. Don't require logins, passwords, or anything like that.

2. Not sure if you have your infrastructure set up or not, but Squarespace is *awesome* for e-commerce stuff. They'll do inventory, automatic mobile optimization, etc...
    For 1, without doubt! We weren't planning on adding all of hat, I'll add that to the site. And for 2, thanks! I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    God Bless you. worked in retail for 30 yrs and totally shun stores now as best I can. Detroit, of course, needs new life so I wish you the best!
    Thanks so much!

Why would you want to build a new store instead of moving into a space? Even Hudson's first store was rented for several years in a storefront on the first floor of the opera house.

If you think building new is greener, think about the amount of energy it takes to build something new as oppose to retrofitting. You can always upgrade an old space with lots of green features. Besides building new, chances are you will need to provide x number of parking spaces; not exactly green if you are required to meet a parking standard.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Why would you want to build a new store instead of moving into a space? Even Hudson's first store was rented for several years in a storefront on the first floor of the opera house.

If you think building new is greener, think about the amount of energy it takes to build something new as oppose to retrofitting. You can always upgrade an old space with lots of green features. Besides building new, chances are you will need to provide x number of parking spaces; not exactly green if you are required to meet a parking standard.
    Hmmm, good question! I'll have to make some changes to the presentation.

Made a lot of changes to the website. Take a look!

I've never heard of any product marketed with "while at a high price..."

Those are usually assumed with euphemisms of "demanding the highest quality" or "meeting our exacting standards" but you should never feel the need to rationalize anything.

Rationalize = rational lies.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I've never heard of any product marketed with "while at a high price..."

Those are usually assumed with euphemisms of "demanding the highest quality" or "meeting our exacting standards" but you should never feel the need to rationalize anything.

Rationalize = rational lies.
    Good tip. Thanks!

Okay, made more changes, including getting rid of that NYC picture. I like the new header wayyyyy more. Check it out!

I like your energy. Crowd-sourcing your concepts is a good move too. I wish you luck.

Ditch the tech and focus on your product line. Your concept mentions, "Using your phone to shop in person". That's almost an oxymoron. Why would I want to do that? I'm there to touch and feel. I've already scoped it out on the web. And you want to load another app on my phone? Uh uh. Besides it would create a support nightmare with frustrated customers fumbling to learn yet another app instead of cruising your shop.

Ditto on Belleislerunner's advice about high price. Image your customers millionaires looking for art and quality. Then your products are bargains.

I agree about the phone app. Ditch that crap. I don't want to walk into your store and have to mess with my phone to download an app to buy things.

This is a very cool concept. If I had the cash, I would seriously consider investing. this and motor city trikes

Thanks for the input guys! I'll talk to Josh about incorporating an alternate shopping experience into the concept, so one for phones, one without. And thanks for the comments, rb336!

what is the problem you're trying to solve by using a phone app to shop?

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll talk to Josh about incorporating an alternate shopping experience into the concept, so one for phones, one without. And thanks for the comments, rb336!
    You could have in-store phones [[for those that don't have them or don't want to bother) and have it operate sort of like a wedding registry. You can scan a QR code by the product, get more info, and add it to your list for checkout.

Thanks guys! To answer your question, detmsp, we are trying to get rid of the cramp and clutter of shopping in-person. And thanks, Spartan, for the great idea!

Many more updates guys. Entering the final stages before I pitch it...

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    ... My partner and I don't have any seed money yet, and we're not asking for it[[on here), but simply your opinions on our business. We plan on taking this to investors and venture capitalists, ...

Venture Capitalist: "It is a horrifically bad idea. I forbid you to proceed."

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

Venture Capitalist: "It is a horrifically bad idea. I forbid you to proceed."
    Haha, love that show