Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mystery Retail being built out already at the Z?

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 3.32.22 PM.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  40.3 KB

This is from their live video feed on bedrocks website

Normally all they've been doing is putting up the glass on the first floor retail spots.. however the right corner of the picture shows that there is about half of the future ground level retail area completely covered with some tarp material

now they've been doing that with the parking areas i've noticed, however that was for the spray painting that was going on .. and they're certainly not spray painting something in the ground level retail... so is someone already under contract? or am I just blowing smoke here..

and if you do think it is retail.. who do you think is moving in??

Ugh.... I had forgotten how poorly that building complements its' surrounding historic buildings...

That panel on the side of the garage looks like the plastic panel on the front of a window air conditioner. Looks like the "Cheese Grater" has a new nearby building companion... the "Air Conditioner".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ugh.... I had forgotten how poorly that building complements its' surrounding historic buildings...

That panel on the side of the garage looks like the plastic panel on the front of a window air conditioner. Looks like the "Cheese Grater" has a new nearby building companion... the "Air Conditioner".
    Looks like the Bose "Wave".

They did the same thing on the opposite side. It's nothing special. Just don't have the glass installed yet, so they have the plastic up as temp protection while the work inside.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    They did the same thing on the opposite side. It's nothing special. Just don't have the glass installed yet, so they have the plastic up as temp protection while the work inside.
    bahh damn i figured it was wishful thinking.. thanks for clearing it up

why have plastic on that side being that it is already enclosed

the glass is already up on that side isnt it

On the other side, they had glass up, then plastic, then no glass and eventually it was just like the rest. Don't know what the deal is, but I'd be surprised if it were anything special being done at the moment. Looks like they are just masoning over the concrete board facia.

Agree, I don't like it at all. Very clunky looking. It doesn't necessarily have to blend with similar architecture of the surroundings, but cold have had more refined scale and nicer materials carrying a contemporary design. Retail will be good. But there's plenty of ugly retail buildings out there, so no excuse for this.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    why have plastic on that side being that it is already enclosed
    A retail facade shrouded is a common thing I see it a lot. Often times they'll cover the front with painted plywood that serves zero purpose other than to create a grand unveiling when it's done. Most national retailers do this as general practice. I know if a contractor left the door open on a job for a even a moment to allow someone to capture a quick phone photo they'd be in deep, deep trouble.

I drove by it the other day and couldn't believe how monstrously ugly it is. I guess it beats the surface lot that was there but the way it dominates the block is just brutal.

It would have looked great next to the NBD/Chase Tower on Kennedy Square! LOL

The plastic is temporary winter protection to contain heat for the direct applied finish system on the exterior soffit.

No tenants are building out at this time, all interior spaces are still dirt.