Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2104 Christmas Tree Burn

Is anyone aware of the date? In looking at the calendar, I'm thinking it would be Saturday, January 11th.

Sorry make that 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Is anyone aware of the date? In looking at the calendar, I'm thinking it would be Saturday, January 11th.
    Geez, talk about rushing the Holiday season! You're the equivalent of a DY Walmart!

was just talking with my wife about this yesterday. looking forward to it!

So the 11th?

is a christmas tree burn some kind of slang for a marijuana protest?

oh lookie, 2013 thread
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Tree-Burn-2013

Surprised someone inebriated didn't follow a tree into the fire.

This down by the river on the far east side?

Mariners Park, foot of Alter.

Tell your friends on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1378752229049269/

I'm waiting to hear back from a friend but I'd bet that it will be the 11th.

How legal is this event? If there is some doubt it is probably not a good idea to have a facebook page regarding it.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    The population at the tree burn certainly appears to be all Detroiters. Oh wait, more suburbanites using Detroit as a playground to do shit they would not do in their own neighborhood.

I wonder if any permits are pulled to allow this to be done at a City Park? Perhaps we can try to move this to Grosse Pointe or Troy next year.

From last year:

"DFD and DPD are there.just not in uniform."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    From last year:

"DFD and DPD are there.just not in uniform."
    Which may also mean that it is just members of DFD or DPD but not sanctioned or approved by the city. I'm sure if you went to the majority of illegal places in the city there would be a good chance you could find a DPD or DFD employee not in uniform.

Lastly, I would assume that the Rec department would need to approve this [[as they are responsible for the park) so PD and DFD presence doesn't authorize it.

All I know is that I sure the heck would not want to be on facebook as attending it as it may come back to bite you on the butt.

Judge: "We wrote you a ticket at the scene, we have confirmation of you attending via facebook, now do you really want to plead not guilty because you were not there?"

Its been going on for 35 years now. DFD, DPP and GPPP usually always show up. No tickets issued. Off duty DFD and DPD, and Homeland Security are always in attendance

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    All I know is that I sure the heck would not want to be on facebook as attending it as it may come back to bite you on the butt.

Judge: "We wrote you a ticket at the scene, we have confirmation of you attending via facebook, now do you really want to plead not guilty because you were not there?"
    I don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep over being on Facebook for this event... especially if it's been going on for over 1/3 century...

I'm sure that the city doesn't want the publicity over issuing tickets to off duty officers and firemen... and imagine the flack over the city using scarce resources for this when 911 calls go unanswered...

And if it's a flagrant violation of some city ordinances... wouldn't they have shut it down by now??
    Last edited by Gistok; January-02-14 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Don't check in if you're afraid of getting in trouble. I'm not worried.

It's low key and fun. Let's let it be.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Its been going on for 35 years now. DFD, DPP and GPPP usually always show up. No tickets issued. Off duty DFD and DPD, and Homeland Security are always in attendance
    Hey buddy, ill see ya soon, what time do they need help?

Fire starts at 8. Look for me

well you know very well that im showing up early to help

Burn was excellent this year!

Attachment 22389 2014 Christmas Tree Burn.

A good time was had by all on Saturday night. It was somewhat tough to park. I went by there yesterday [[Sunday) afternoon and the park was totally cleaned up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast