Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nelson Mandela in Detroit

An interview with John Conyers on WDET this morning described the arrival of Nelson Mandela at DTW with a touching story. Among the delegation there to meet him was Rosa Park in a wheel chair. When Mandela saw her he immediately peeled off and ran toward her, almost startling her, and the two historic giants of civil rights and freedom embraced.

Unfortunately I was unable to make it to his address at Tiger Stadium. Did anyone here see it?

Now the world’s greatest person and moral compass has passed. When I consider him, he becomes almost incomprehensible. How could anyone who had been harshly imprisoned for 27 years overcome such indignity and injustice and not give in to revenge that easily could have shred his country into endless civil wars and suffering? How could he lead his country to freedom, become its first democratic president then graciously step down and not cling to power?

When I left Detroit to serve the Peace Corps in Swaziland in 1968, a small nation surrounded on three sides by apartheid South Africa, I became acquainted with that hateful system on a personal level through the stories of exiled teachers at my school, interracial married couples driven from the country in the face of imprisonment and countless stories of petty injustice. Like the Berlin Wall apartheid seemed so powerfully entrenched, so hopeless and, if it ever ended, portended genocide and worse suffering.

Instead, thanks to him, it fell with arguably the least amount suffering and the greatest amount of reconciliation possible.

Farewell and thank you Mdiba.

I share your sentiments, Lowell, and you did a beautiful writeup.

Nelson Mendela, was the Father of Free World Nations. He fought South African Aparteid and won and became first African President of South Africa. He will be truly missed. He served the Lord will and the rest of the world. You have earned your right to the tree of life.

The Street Prophets salute you.

Thank you, Lowell, for you very warm statement about Nelson Mendela. It
    is very important and moving.

Nelson Mandela suffered as no man should ever had and may he RIP!
    During the apartheid it was illegal to sell gold krugerrand coins in the U.S.. Unfortunately the Mayor at the was secretly investing in them and got caught! I feel he had nerve greeting him on the visit as if he had always supported the cause!

This Detroit TV station also remembers Yankee star Nelson "A-Rod" Mandela.

Seriously, is there any palm big enough for their face?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-07-13 at 09:19 PM.