Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    That Great Guy Guest

Home of That Great Guy
    Last edited by That Great Guy; December-06-13 at 09:59 PM.

.........you shall reap your fair rewards.

I've never been to Slow's where are they on Michigan?

The new Police Chief taking action and raiding organized crime locations !

Quote Originally Posted by Sharnelle View Post
    OK this is dedicated to sumas too:

Yeah, well, we got an epic story,

Now's the time for new glory,

Makin' things happen,

Makin' it in Detroit.

We got the funk,

We got the smarts,

We got the heart,

To make this city our work of art.

Home to heroes, mavericks, contrarians,

Nobody's boring - even the librarians!

You say you dine on raccoon carrion?

Not gonna point, call you barbarian.

All around we got fertile ground,

Growin' wild imagination,

Hustle harder determination,

The nation's DIY destination.

Rising from drivin' machines,

Now see each and every human being,

Makin' dreams happen,

Makin' it in Detroit.

Hands on, heads on, get 'er done,

Makin' it in Maker Town.

Step up, step out, it's all about

Findin' yourself in Detroit.

Hang-tough personality,

Is 313's proud identity,

Character that can't be broken,

When destructive words get spoken.

We got the funk,

We got the spunk,

We got the heart,

To make Detroit city a work of art.

Welcome to the capital of persistence,

Say goodbye to beige existence,

Hack old boundaries and resistance,

Freedom here to go the distance.

Not tryin' to be all pretty,

Like an airbrushed city,

Grit keepin' it real,

Ignites the spirit you feel.

Urban fields, a quirky pace,

But soon be needin' extra space,

Buildin' for a humane race,

'Cause there's no place like this place.

Sugar pie honey bunch,

We make it out of every crunch,

Soon eat other city's lunch,

Got a secret in our punch.

They try to destroy it,

But soul saves Detroit,

Abuse, starve, deny it,

Can't stop this giant.

Street smarts, car parts,

False starts, tough darts,

The D?...Listen to Smokey:

You really got a hold on me.
    Thank you Sharnelle, such a nice post I had to quote it...

I was lucky enough to have seen Jimi Hendrix Nov. 30th 1968 at Cobo also Elvis at Olympia April 1972. My buddies and I used to go to Cobo and see Bob Seger when he was just starting out. And how about the Grande Ballroom? Is there any other city in the U.S. that has the musical history Detroit has? What maybe Nashville or Memphis?

I get extremely jealous when I hear of someone who has seen Hendrix live... Fucker.

Slows to go on Alexandrine X Cass, order takeout and walk across the street to the Old Miami have a beer and listen in on the convo. If your lucky Danny will be telling war stories, if your unlucky he will be berating some poor soul.

Sharnelle FuckinA, well done.

Almost forgot about the thread itself.
    #1. I like the fact that speed limit signs are mere suggestions.
    #2. I love the people here, we are a breed like no other. Detroiter's just wave their farts away with a Richard Pryor strut and no apologies.
    #3. The community of artists which seems to grow and grow. The artists who have been raised here and the ones that move here take chances, I like that in someone creative.
    #4. While not a popular attribute, the lawlessness does have its allure.
    Last edited by Django; December-07-13 at 06:02 PM. Reason: vodka

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I get extremely jealous when I hear of someone who has seen Hendrix live... Fucker.

Slows to go on Alexandrine X Cass, order takeout and walk across the street to the Old Miami have a beer and listen in on the convo. If your lucky Danny will be telling war stories, if your unlucky he will be berating some poor soul.
    That right there is one of the consummate Detroit experiences

Dear Lily, I think flack is just a part of life. I've always been a bit thin skinned but I'm learning in my old age [[not that old) to shrug bull off. went running around today with neighbors, we had great fun and great encounters, some quite funny.

Oops Lily, forgot to say its ok to leave the city. Did it ourselves due to school issues but came back. My heart never left. all my volunteer hours were in the city. Got lots of "Volunteer awards" back then I would be embarrassed that at that time I wasn't a resident. Looking back, I doubt I'd be embarrassed anymore. Home really is where the heart is. I'm home now, I'm happy.

Django, maybe I did and maybe I didn't tell you but yeah I saw Hendrix live and virtually every local, national and international group back in the day. Phenomenal performances by all. Anyone else remember freezing their butt off at olympia [[sp) with the card board on top of the ice.

nothing in this world like urban air. We are seriously no longer a no-fly zone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-M34yz47b-w

sumas, Django, SDCC, Danny and MotorCityTrikes thanks for your words of encouragement - my first poem. MotorCityTrikes, your "Mean Streets" is ace!

To the downers, the "reality" is that both bad and good things happen at the same time in economically traumatized cities. Even in the world's poorest places, it is now understood that focus on extremes -- either "foreign aid" [[just throw money at the problem without building skills) or dwelling on the bad -- guarantees a lack of progess.

What does seem to work is asset-based community development [[known as ABCD..."working with what's strong, not being overwhelmed by what's wrong"). My poem reflects a belief in ABCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    nothing in this world like urban air. We are seriously no longer a no-fly zone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-M34yz47b-w

I was reminded of how invisible the invisible other always is.

I can see how a lot of frustration comes from this misapprehension on both sides of the urban/suburban fence in Detroit. This heavily scripted piece of video resumes rather well the mindset that creates ghettoes.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I was reminded of how invisible the invisible other always is.

I can see how a lot of frustration comes from this misapprehension on both sides of the urban/suburban fence in Detroit. This heavily scripted piece of video resumes rather well the mindset that creates ghettoes.
    dissolution sweetened with spectacle. expectations buffed to a shine with sins of omission. what's most important is being mobilized without regard for the choices we made to dismantle the city where everything and everybody is throw away in pursuit of profit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2