Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Beware Lush Lawn Lawn Care

In 2012 my mother hired Lush Lawn to fertilize her lawn for the season. Her lawn had some real issues and she followed all the recommendations of the sales guy. It cost hundreds more than the basic fee for fertilizing the lawn. By the end of the season her lawn looked exactly the same. We told the telephone canvassers we did not want service in 2013 and to stop calling [[they called A LOT.) They stopped calling. IN the spring they came out and did a treatment. I called the office and told them we told the sales people we did not want any more service from them. The bill for that one treatment came once a month. In October I filed a complaint with the BBB and Lush Lawn said they would cancel the billing. However, now I get phone calls sometimes up to three times a day, a call and hang up. What a way to run a company!

BTW, my mother hired another service this past year and the lawn looks much better.

What would you do to stop these harassing calls?

if they call from one number you can have the phone company block said number.

Find out where their office is, throw shit on their lawn and then send a bill.

Actually worked in the Landscape industry for many years. Would never hire lawn treatments. They work on a route?schedule. Most of what they have is better than the average citizen can get but all needs to be applied in the right temp/situation. Doesn't happen that way. Buy weed begone Hose hook up type, apply once weekly for 4 weeks. Works great.

One would of course think I would take my own advice but health issues precluded me from doing this, so my lawn is very weedy and needy. Honest the stuff works great if you follow my advice.

I need two 15000 square foot bags to do my lawn. The company I use charges 48.00 an application. I can't hardly buy the stuff that cheap. I like nice looking grass, as I tell my S.O - nobody can see the inside of our house, but everybody driving by can see our yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli View Post
    We use a Digitone Call Blocker. I don't know that much about it because my brother set it up but I trust him to do these things right.

I'd like to think there's a special place in Hell for marketers who exploit the elderly. They're out there. Oh, yes, they're out there.

Weed be gone is great stuff. I've done this for years and it really improves the look of the lawn without a lot of effort. Also leave the grass a little longer and it will keep green and soak up runoff. This will eliminate the need to fertilize.

This is not related to how to get rid of the calls, but to the lawn care issue. I no longer have a lawn, but when I lived in suburban DC I used Ringer Lawn
    Restore. Best lawn product I ever used. It's organic and made my crappy deep shade lawn really fill in. My neighbor of 20+ years could not believe my success.

The key to a healthy lawn is re-seeding. The weed kill products leave a space and more weeds will grow there if you don't re-seed. Use a good seed mix of different types of seed so that if a disease effects one type it usually won't effect the others. I use Pennington. Fertilize with a slow release organic fertilizer. I use Milorganite. Don't cut your lawn short as weeds below surface need light to grow.

You may wish to try the National Do Not Call Registry

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

You have to provide your phone number[[s) and file a complaint for EACH occurrence of unwanted telemarketing calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcanelli View Post
    In October I filed a complaint with the BBB and Lush Lawn said they would cancel the billing. However, now I get phone calls sometimes up to three times a day, a call and hang up. What a way to run a company!
    Have you made sure the bill has actually been cancelled? If it hasn't, they're probably calling for collection purposes. If it hasn't, you should contact the Atty General's office & file a complaint with them. We had a similar experience with a lawn service back in the 1990s where we told them repeatedly that we didn't want their service, we had no contract with them, but they kept providing services we didn't want, like lawn aeration, & kept billing us. We never paid. They tried to harass us into payment. However, apparently they did this all over metro Detroit. Enough people complained to the AG's office. The AG did an investigation & found these folks were manufacturing contracts with falsified customer signatures among a host of many other illegal actions. The charges filed were enough to put them out of business. We never heard from them again. I wish I could remember their name, but this sounds like a similar scam. It seems to me that lawn care services are often sketchy unless you get the high priced ones like Davey or TruGreen. I usually check Angie's List, not Craigslist, Angie's List before hiring anyone like that.

Weed-B-Gone is great but if you have flowers planted anywhere nearby, cover them up first, even if you think you're giving the flower bed a wide enough berth. I learned this lesson the hard way.

I have used lawn services several times over the years, always with success. I think the biggest potential issue is that they may apply the fertilizer [[or whatever it is) during a dry spell, in which case you should water your lawn within 24 hours [[if memory serves me), or if you happen to get a lot of rain right after an application it may wash the stuff right off before it has a chance to do it's work. But like I said, I've never had noticable issues. I compared the cost of having a service versus doing it myself, and doing it myself would actually probably be slightly more expensive [[and obviously more time consuming).

Scroll down and read the complaints section lol

After I posted this, I did go back to BBB and read the one complaint they left readable. I also found complaints all over the internet. I suspect there would be a lot more but one must register with the site to file a complaint.

Just blocking the number won't work because I suspect they would just use another phone. I'm keeping track of all the calls and will figure out what to do with them. I've got a few ideas now.

The lawn had some serious issues, like bald spots, quite a few actually. Whatever LushLawn diagnosed was wrong. The lawn looked just as bad in the fall. Last year she hired another service, Turf Tenders, and they did a great job. The lawn is actually looking pretty good now.

There should be a Lawn Envy section in the Sunday Free Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    There should be a Lawn Envy section in the Sunday Free Press.
    Thank you for that laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I have used lawn services several times over the years, always with success. I think the biggest potential issue is that they may apply the fertilizer [[or whatever it is) during a dry spell, in which case you should water your lawn within 24 hours [[if memory serves me), or if you happen to get a lot of rain right after an application it may wash the stuff right off before it has a chance to do it's work. But like I said, I've never had noticable issues. I compared the cost of having a service versus doing it myself, and doing it myself would actually probably be slightly more expensive [[and obviously more time consuming).
    I totally agree with not fertilizing a dry lawn, it does more harm then good. I think that a granular product can't be washed off by a heavy rain unless you're talking a real monsoon.

To me the bottom line is there are good lawn care companies out there who do quality work, care about their results and don't try and up sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    We use a Digitone Call Blocker. I don't know that much about it because my brother set it up but I trust him to do these things right.

I'd like to think there's a special place in Hell for marketers who exploit the elderly. They're out there. Oh, yes, they're out there.
    That's really useful info. Thank you. I'll look into using Digitone with my phone set-up.