Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 40 years worth of fUnK

I just spent the morning and early afternoon with P-Funk. George Clinton and the boys are in town for a concert with War at Chane Park tonight. It so happens that one of my schoolmates is with the band an we met this morning at the sound check and spent some time catching up. What an interesting group of very talented and funky people. In the middle of a conversation about underwater acoustics [[“underwater boogie baby!”), it occurred to me that I have seen George Clinton preform in the late 60’s, the 70’s, the 80’s, 90’s and in the new millennium. That’s a lot of FUNK! Anyway not really a lot to discuss here, just wanted to let the forum know what that smell is thats coming of the river front tonight.

I heard an interview a few years ago with George Clinton where he stated that he lived in the Irish Hills near M.I.S. in Michigan. I also read that they recorded many of their albums at United Sound Corporation in Detroit.

Bow wow wow yippee yo yippee yay!

Great post, rajdet! Saw P-Funk a few years back [[for the first time) at the Phoenix Center in Pontiac. The band was great, but George was off quite a bit--timing, vocals, he even came out late. Fast forward a few years, and P-Funk was a co-headliner at the Gathering of the Vibes Festival in Bridgeport CT. They, especially George, OWNED the place.

There was a rather uptight middle-aged couple, that just did *not* approve of George's exortations to "get on [their] feet and jam." They also looked on in disdain as George and co. rapped about the windows and the walls.

free your mind and your ass will follow!

Go wiggle. Go Wiggle!

Somewhat silly but do fries go with that shake?

Sir George Clinton and family has brought out the dog in many of us.

Wooof!

Saw them a few years back at the Royal Oak Music Theater, proabably one of the best shows I have ever been to. But that may just be due to the contact high I got down in front of the stage.

Late 70s. Olympia. Swing down sweet chariot... Glenn Goins rockin it. Sooo many unforgettable hits.

Almost all of the best 70s era Parliament Funkadelic youtube clips are not recorded in Detroit. Me thinks most of the concert goers were just a little bit pre-occupied with the ambiance

Houston 1976.