Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2013 - 2014 Detroit Red Wings

Well were a couple months into the season and the Wings have been sporadic, but I'm not worried. If they stay healthy could still be a force come playoff time. Good to seee Helm back and scoring.

Shanahan has screwed us again. A blatant elbow to the jaw of Datsyuk and no suspension just like when Weber slamed Z's head into the glass. Datsyuk still out with concussion. One of the top players in the league taken out by a guy who is usually a healthy scratch. If the league doesn't want to police this than the players will and it could turn into another Steve Moore incident.

I like the direction the team is taking with a youth movement. It's nice to see Nyquist, Tater, Anderson, etc finally getting time to contribute. It still perplexes me why Daniel Cleary was resigned, he hasn't provided any type of offensive threat at all. Howard needs to get his act together, although Gustivsson [[sp?) has been able to hold down the fort.

They'll make the playoffs in the ridiculously weak Eastern Conference. Hell, they might be in first place right now if they ever won a shootout. But the West is so powerful, they'd be over matched in a Stanley Cup final.

On an interesting note, the salary cap is expected to go up to around $71M next season. Quite the big increase. I'm wondering what kind of moves Kenny Holland will be making with that extra cash.....

Hell of a game by the Winged Wheel last night. Lots of kudos to hand out. Lots of offensive action and end-to-end play. Was very pleased with the result.

Couple things to note:
    • Big win over a formal rival, Stanley Cup defenders and our ouster from last years playoffs.
    • Let's hope this win pumps a little morale and energy into the team. They need it.
    • Big shootout win as well. We've been snakebit all season.
    • Welcome back E52! Let's hope many more are to follow.
    • Brendan Smith finding his game with a game tying, bonehead giveaway. He was very embarrassed - no doubt, but we don't have room for that in our game. Get better buddy.
    • Jurco trying an AHL move on an NHL goalie in the shootout. Let's hope that one sinks in as well.
    • Onward and upward Wings. Use this win to your advantage.

I don't recall any team I follow have as many injuries to important players as this year's Wings. With all the injuries, it is hard for the lines to remain stable and therefore gel as units.

Our biggest issue in the shootouts is Howard. The guy comes WAY too far out of the crease. Gustavsson did it right

The last few years of Wings "loyalty" to their older role [[starting with Maltby and Drapes, continuing to Cleary, etc.) players I think has hurt the franchise by keeping the younger players banished to Grand Rapids, where they "develop" into NHL players. Unfortunately, after 4 years there, they show up here and take another two years to develop. After 5 years of being signed we realize what we have or what we don't have, [[usually the latter) and they can't even be used as trade bait. DeKuyser is the exception, although I think his roots here helped us, as he was being courted by a few teams.

Other guys such as Eaves and Ericcson are so-so, Helm has more injuries than games played. Letting Filipula go probably helped his career with a change of scenery, but he showed more up-side than others. Nyquist looks promising, but there are too many young guys who don't know what to do. Then there's Franzen.

My other problem is the Wings get bumped by the Pistons on the radio so I never know when a game is on, anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post

My other problem is the Wings get bumped by the Pistons on the radio so I never know when a game is on, anymore.
    and when was the last time anyone cared about the Pistons?

I'm having fun watching Gustav Nyquist, the best scorer in the league these days.

Pretty crazy to think they are only 5 points behind Montreal for 3rd in the division. The growth of these young players such as Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, Smith, and Dekaysar have all but cut ties with the old guard of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary. With the cap going up this off season, and the amount of expiring contracts the Wings will be shedding this off season, they will certainly be able to make a splash in free agency. Making the playoffs this year is still withing grasp, but I'm very excited for the future of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Pretty crazy to think they are only 5 points behind Montreal for 3rd in the division. The growth of these young players such as Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson, Smith, and Dekaysar have all but cut ties with the old guard of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary. With the cap going up this off season, and the amount of expiring contracts the Wings will be shedding this off season, they will certainly be able to make a splash in free agency. Making the playoffs this year is still withing grasp, but I'm very excited for the future of this team.
    The fact that they are still contending after the astounding number of injuries [[all of the players that were considered their top 8 have been out for significant stretches), and that their #1 and #2 have been out for huge stretches pretty much says it all about this organization. Do you think Pittsburgh would be in this position if they had to sit Crosby and Malkin as long as the Wings have been without Pavel and Z? Chicago without Toews and Kane? Boston without Krejci and Iginla?

Amazing that they're in position to make the playoffs, all things considered. We obviously have great scouting, great coaching in Grand Rapids and Detroit, and some very talented young players. Some may think me crazy, but I think Babcock deserves some consideration for coach of the year. It likely will never happen, unless they make it at least to the conference finals. And they may well still ont even make it to the playoffs, though something tells me they will. If this team had a healthy Datsyuk and Zetterberg towards the end of the year they could win it all. A shame that can't happen. But having them out has really helped the youngsters develop. Nyquist is the leading goal scorer in the NHL over the last two months. And he wouldn't have even been on Sweden's Olympic team if Franzen hadn't gotten injured.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    Some may think me crazy, but I think Babcock deserves some consideration for coach of the year. It likely will never happen, unless they make it at least to the conference finals.
    I dunno. It still could happen. Not that this is NHL related but look at the Olympic performance he got out of the Canadian National Team. Babcock just knows how to get the best out of the talent he's surrounded with. Sounds like damn good coaching there to me.

I thought he'd never be able to work with youngsters like Scotty Bowman, but he's doing it and getting these kids valuable experience and he's getting some numbers too. He's getting output from kids that are liable to get carded buying Sudafed. I can't see how he can be left out of the conversation for Coach of the Year.

I wonder if we'll see Anthony Mantha in the Wings lineup this year. He's averaged a goal a game in the Quebec Major Junior league the past two seasons, netting 57 this year. Currently his team is in the playoffs with a 3 games to 0 lead in the first round. He set up 2 goals and scored the game winner in OT last nite in a 3-2 win. 6'4" and 210lbs, I can't wait to see this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I wonder if we'll see Anthony Mantha in the Wings lineup this year. He's averaged a goal a game in the Quebec Major Junior league the past two seasons, netting 57 this year. Currently his team is in the playoffs with a 3 games to 0 lead in the first round. He set up 2 goals and scored the game winner in OT last nite in a 3-2 win. 6'4" and 210lbs, I can't wait to see this kid.
    That would be great, but the QMJHL playoffs will end too late for him to do much good

Unless his team gets knocked out in the second round, then there would be time to get him into some games. Could sure use another sniper to compliment Nyquist.

Nice win by the winged wheelers. Looks like Lucic won't be suspended for his gutless spearing of Dekeyser. First we had Weber slamming Hanks head into the glass, then Jarad Cowen elbows Pavs in the jaw concussing him, now this. What does it take to get suspended for brutality against the Wings these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Nice win by the winged wheelers. Looks like Lucic won't be suspended for his gutless spearing of Dekeyser. First we had Weber slamming Hanks head into the glass, then Jarad Cowen elbows Pavs in the jaw concussing him, now this. What does it take to get suspended for brutality against the Wings these days.
    Can I pony up $5000 for a one shot spear at Lucic's nut sack? Seriously I don't care if none of the on ice officials caught it, it's still an intent to injure someone. There's no denying it. There's no excuse for sh!t like that and a message needs to be sent to goons like that. It's simply put a chicken sh!t play from behind.

Suspend him for a few games + a small contribution to the league coffers and see how he likes it then.

This little dandy is on the Sports Illustrated website. The Bruins and Iginla may beat the Wings this series, but there's no way Wings GM Ken Holland makes this trade today. There's waaay to much upside to Tatar and Nyquist. Holland literally would have traded away the promising future of the franchise if this deal had happened.

Flames kicking themselves over Jerome Iginila deal?
    As if they didn't have enough to complain about, imagine what Calgary Flames fans feel knowing they could have had Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar in a deal last year for Jarome Iginla. But general manager of the day, Jay Feaster, was insistent on a first-round draft pick being included in any deal for Iginla. In the end, the Flames may have little to show for Iginla and the Red Wings are flourishing with Nyquist's scoring and Tatar's speed.