Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Woodward Closed

Default Woodward Closed

Does anyone know why Woodward is closed from Grand River to Grand Circus Park? Traffic is being rerouted to Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Does anyone know why Woodward is closed from Grand River to Grand Circus Park? Traffic is being rerouted to Broadway
    Didn't even know that until I went down there yesterday and I was forced to head over to Washington Boulevard. The second time I hit this closure, though, I ended up on Broadway, Randolph and Monroe [[at least this gave me the "opportunity" to see the completed "Z" for the first time).

And, actually, the closure begins at Clifford/John R. and extends up to Grand Circus Park.

I had tried asking one of the working crew but I dont think that he understood English

My guess is that they're still cleaning up from the Parade.

they had the pavement cut up and torn out in what LOOKED like a 3-4 foot wide stretch right across the street when i got rerouted...

Water main break?

Or perhaps the first tracks finally being laid for the new light rail line?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    no, this was perpendicular to the roadway....

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Rumblings are the "ribbon cutting ceremony" will occur in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Rumblings are the "ribbon cutting ceremony" will occur in the spring.
    What happened to fall 2013? Big capital projects always take longer than expected but this is getting dumb.

MDOT ran into issues with the I-75 and I-94 bridges. This required a delay.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    MDOT ran into issues with the I-75 a
    nd I-94 bridges. This required a delay.
    As if they didnt think about those bridges during the planning and blueprint process. Total bullshit. Lightrail is not going to happen in this autu industry controlled city. No one had taken me seriously

As if they didnt think about those bridges during the planning and blueprint process. Total bullshit. Lightrail is not going to happen in this autu industry controlled city. No one had taken me seriously
    The M-1 folk will also run into undocumented water and sewer pipes that will delay the project. The delay may 1 day or 1 month, it doesn't matter. Is DWSD in on the conspiracy, too?

I've seen some of the wooden water pipes that were pulled out of the Campus Martius construction. There going to run into a lot of crazy stuff in a 200-year-old corridor.

Dude stop being so negative. Did you ever think you would hear that out of me? LOL When it is done it will be well worth the wait. The road, sidewalks will be reconstructed with a streetscape. Combine this with the train and we have a link connecting Downtown, Medical Center, Wayne State, Cultural Center, Amtrak, and New Center. It is a complex project and it still has an ambitious time schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Dude stop being so negative. Did
    you ever think you would hear that out of me? LOL When it is done it will be well worth the wait. The road, sidewalks will be reconstructed with a streetscape. Combine this with the train and we have a link connecting Downtown, Medical Center, Wayne State, Cultural Center, Amtrak, and New Center. It is a complex project and it still has an ambitious time schedule.
    Not being negative but a realist. Whether we have one or not is the least of mine concern. I would like to have dependable transportation so people could get back and forth.

The light rail will come to pass... just not anytime soon.

maybe in another ten years then the groundbreaking will beginr

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    What happened to fall 2013? Big capital projects always take longer than expected but this is getting dumb.
    Just to be clear - the same person I heard this from...who is VERY in the know on M1...said everything is progressing well. I was a little surprised about spring myself, but there was nothing at all said that would lead me to believe the project was in trouble whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Just to be clear - the same person I heard this from...who is VERY in the know on M1...said everything is progressing well. I was a little surprised about spring myself, but there was nothing at all said that would lead me to believe the project was in trouble whatsoever.
    I agree, and the best way to pin down the timing is to view what has actually taken place. The pre-bid meeting with potential subcontractors was held on November 18, which is just fourteen days ago. Then DDOT modified its downtown bus stop locations, temporarily, so the buses don't interfere with construction when it begins. On November 26, M1 Rail announced that Stacy and Whitbeck had moved people into office space at White Construction.

M1 Rail itself, on its web site, says "construction activities in the area south of Adams to Larned are expected to begin before the end of the year". This was in a message put up on the site on the 13th of November, so this is not an early-in-the-year guess at it.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ty-systems.php

looks like this all was for the M-1 rail.... here we go...

People shouldn't take you seriously on this particular topic. For some reason you are fixated on the idea that somehow the auto companies are opposed to [[and have the power to prevent) a streetcar line on Woodward. That is not an idea based in reality.

The good thing is that, unlike many of the arguments here, this one will probably be settled relatively soon when the tracks and streetcars appear.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    People shouldn't take you seriously on this particular topic. For some reason you are fixated on the idea that somehow the auto companies are opposed to [[and have the power to prevent) a streetcar line on Woodward. That is not an idea based in reality.

The good thing is that, unlike many of the arguments here, this one will probably be settled relatively soon when the tracks and streetcars appear.
    Had you been on this site 3 years ago when many thought that the light rail's groundbreaking was going to begin except me you would not had taken me seriously then. I was right. Snyder and Bing announced, one month before the project were to start, that RTA would be a better route. There had always been some delay a month or a couple of weeks before the project were to get off the ground. The excuses that had stalled the projects during those times should had been brought out during those planning stages and not at the last minutes after meetings and studyings were being wasted. TRU were very patient during these hopless years of false promises. I don't have a crystal ball. I just go by the patterns that were set in the past. Most cities would had some type of system within 2 to 3 yrs of planning. Whether it would had been light rail, RTA, or improving the transportation system that they have. Detroit had not done neither. SMART had stopped picking up passengers in the city after 6 or 7pm. Riders have to catch a slow DDOT just to get to the city's border to transfer to SMART which had probably left for DDOT didn't make it to the connecting point on time due to slow runs. Yes. I do continue to think that there is a conspiracy behind this madness in Detroit