Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wow! No Murders Or Shooting In Detroit For 41 Hours

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!

It's an abomination that that is GOOD news.

I understand why someone would take someone's life, but I don't think I'll even understand how it can actually go through someone's head that it is ok to murder someone other then out of self defense. Don't blame it on tv, don't blame it on music, don't blame it on video games. Blame the parents and to a lesser extent the educators. When someone thinks "Hmmmm. I could work for it, or stab that dude and take it" we have serious problems as a society.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It's an abomination that that is GOOD news.

I understand why someone would take someone's life, but I don't think I'll even understand how it can actually go through someone's head that it is ok to murder someone other then out of self defense. Don't blame it on tv, don't blame it on music, don't blame it on video games. Blame the parents and to a lesser extent the educators. When someone thinks "Hmmmm. I could work for it, or stab that dude and take it" we have serious problems as a society.
    Sorry, mikeg19, but I DO blame it on the media. The level of callousness in some of the lyrics and films aimed @ impressionable young people is downright scary. Not everyone is fortunate to have parents that are both there, or capable of giving them the guidance that is required, to be able to make sound judgements in their lives. For those, the media IS the messiah.

Detroiters have waiting for this moment for over 150 years.

PEACE!

After that the shootings begin.

Look, I get that the headline is laugh worthy and agree about how disgusting it is that we can't go 72 hours without a homicide.

But look, this is what progress looks like. You don't take over a losing baseball team and then go to the World Series next year. There are a hundred incremental steps along the way, one of which might be to go from losing 100 games to losing 81 games. The difference is small but it's the difference from being an embarrassing laughingstock to being a mediocre but respectable .500 club.

No one is going to flip a switch and all of a sudden crime is cut in half, 70,000 blighted buildings are razed, all the lights are on, and taxes get cut.

When you are taking over a losing team, company, organization, the first focus needs to be on fixing the fundamentals.

- do we pay our bills on time
    - are we deploying our resources in the most effective and efficient way
    - are making our free throws and layups
    - can we block and tackle effectively
    - can we stop the bloodloss
    - is our mission clearly defined, and is everyone rallying around it with every ounce of energy spent
    - can the troops hold the existing position without taking casualties
    - can we keep the ball on the fairway and make the 5-foot putts.

Lets face it, Detroit is an abysmal failure as a city. We have to face reality... Before we can run, we have to learn to walk, before we walk we have to learn to crawl.

That may be laughable. It may be embarrassing. But it's reality.

Detroit it like a ninth grader who can't read. Instead of making fun of him because he can't read Shakespeare, let's start applauding him when he gets through See Spot Run.

We have a long way to go, and we have barely begun. But let's thank the Community Leaders and Law Enforcement officials for any win we can get.

No REPORTED murders or shootings in 41 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Look, I get that the headline is laugh worthy and agree about how disgusting it is that we can't go 72 hours without a homicide.

But look, this is what progress looks like. You don't take over a losing baseball team and then go to the World Series next year. There are a hundred incremental steps along the way, one of which might be to go from losing 100 games to losing 81 games. The difference is small but it's the difference from being an embarrassing laughingstock to being a mediocre but respectable .500 club.

No one is going to flip a switch and all of a sudden crime is cut in half, 70,000 blighted buildings are razed, all the lights are on, and taxes get cut.

When you are taking over a losing team, company, organization, the first focus needs to be on fixing the fundamentals.

- do we pay our bills on time
    - are we deploying our resources in the most effective and efficient way
    - are making our free throws and layups
    - can we block and tackle effectively
    - can we stop the bloodloss
    - is our mission clearly defined, and is everyone rallying around it with every ounce of energy spent
    - can the troops hold the existing position without taking casualties
    - can we keep the ball on the fairway and make the 5-foot putts.

Lets face it, Detroit is an abysmal failure as a city. We have to face reality... Before we can run, we have to learn to walk, before we walk we have to learn to crawl.

That may be laughable. It may be embarrassing. But it's reality.

Detroit it like a ninth grader who can't read. Instead of making fun of him because he can't read Shakespeare, let's start applauding him when he gets through See Spot Run.

We have a long way to go, and we have barely begun. But let's thank the Community Leaders and Law Enforcement officials for any win we can get.
    Great post. I agree 100%

Well said, corktownyuppie. One step at a time. I think that any news of people not getting murdered is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post

Maybe the cold weather has something to do with it.

Well of course it's good news, but is the mindset ever going to change around here where we don't celebrate a weekend of nobody getting brutally murdered? It should just be a fact of life that it's not going to happen.

CorktownYuppie made the analogy that you can't take a crap team and bring it to the world series over night, which I agree with. But at some point there needs to be progress. If you continually see progress every year to that goal, nobody will complain because its a work in progress. But to say that were on the right path because nobody was murdered overnight is a stretch. Homicides are down 13% so far this year. Great. I don't know what the appropriate murder per capita rate is for a city of our size, but it sure as shit ain't 300-400. Next year it needs to be down 20%. We need to be at the point where we are outraged that 300+ people are murdered yearly. You hear people talking about what needs to be done, but now it needs to happen. No more chest thumping about plans, lets see some action. I'm hoping Chief James and Duggen have a hell of a plan. It seems like James does, but only time will tell.

Cheering for reporting GOOD news! We need more GOOD news to be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    But look, this is what progress looks like.
    It could just be a statistical aberration, you can't really call it "progress." Progress would be to look at the annual crime stats and see a genuine downward trend that can't be explained away by juked stats or underreporting.

In perspective, overall violent crime in the US as a whole has been decreasing pretty steadily since the early 90's. There was a slight rise a few years ago, but overall it's been on a good downward trend.

Detroit has, mostly, been following the national trend, except I believe it's been creeping back up the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    It could just be a statistical aberration, you can't really call it "progress." Progress would be to look at the annual crime stats and see a genuine downward trend that can't be explained away by juked stats or underreporting.
    I accept and respect an argument that the sample size is too small to be meaningful in evaluating crime in the city.

I stand by my rejection of arguments implying that it is silly to even notice.

It's not news that "Hooray, the war is over". But it's not "nothing", either. It's somewhere in between, and I think it's ok for our responses to vary widely on where it is on that spectrum.

My personal opinion is that if we can cut murder and burglary by 10% a year for the next 5 years, that will be very good progress indeed.

Have there been any shootings reported yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Have there been any shootings reported yet?
    I couldn't find any since Nov 27 [[the date of the OP WXYZ article) in DetNews.com's Interactive map: Major crimes in Detroit. It looks worse until you isolate just the November data.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-28-13 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It has 100% to do with it. Nobody is sitting on their porch or in a parked car because its too damn cold.

And with that, AJ wins this forum topic.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    In perspective, overall violent crime in the US as a whole has been decreasing pretty steadily since the early 90's. There was a slight rise a few years ago, but overall it's been on a good downward trend.

Detroit has, mostly, been following the national trend, except I believe it's been creeping back up the last few years.
    Are you speaking about Detroit's absolute's numbers, or per-capita rate?

Detroit's per-capita rate never really fell.

Name:  murder rate, est us total 85 2012.png
Views: 679
Size:  11.8 KB

Same source as above.

There's some serious apples-to-oranges here: to start with, estimated vs reported; DPD vs nation wide. BYO salt.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Key [[bolded) word is reported. How many bodies are out there from this period that haven't been found yet?

Well, the cold weather finally hit. Violence always goes down during the bitterly cold months. And, as usual, it's a great time for police chiefs to make it look like they've accomplished something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast