Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Livonia arson: More suburban police misconduct?

I would give the police a little bit. `They may be playing this close to their chest to gather evidence. There seems to be a bit of confusion in the eyewitness reports.

Well as someone who spent some of my formative years in Livonia I can tell you the moniker of Lily White Livonia didn't come from nowhere. From the TV report it sounds like the same old same old, which is surprising because that area is integrated now, relatively speaking anyway. Let's hope the Livonia cops can figure this out without the same old preconceived notions that gave the city a bad rap in the first place.

'"I asked them 'Why do you think we were the victims?' and they said 'This kind of thing doesn't happen in Livonia; this is something that happens in Detroit.'"
    The Livonia police need to read their own reports. There have been several news reports of firebombing in Livonia in the past year.

Pleasantville Livonia is known for 'KEEP BLACKS OUT' policy. Keep Livonia white is their business. I would say to the black family who earn their home in Livonia. Be like the McGhees and Sweet families fight for your home. Black folks can live anywhere they want. It's going to take more than firebombings to burning crosses on the front lawns to keep black families from buy any home in the suburbs. Most black families are in the suburbs to stay and have a better life. City of Livonia must be intergrated not segregated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Pleasantville Livonia is known for 'KEEP BLACKS OUT' policy. Keep Livonia white is their business. I would say to the black family who earn their home in Livonia. Be like the McGhees and Sweet families fight for your home. Black folks can live anywhere they want. It's going to take more than firebombings to burning crosses on the front lawns to keep black families from buy any home in the suburbs. Most black families are in the suburbs to stay and have a better life. City of Livonia must be intergrated not segregated.
    They need to concentrate on the criminals of all colors not the families that buy a home, pay taxes, and abide by the laws everyone else has to. And that goes for anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by finster View Post
    Well as someone who spent some of my formative years in Livonia I can tell you the moniker of Lily White Livonia didn't come from nowhere. From the TV report it sounds like the same old same old, which is surprising because that area is integrated now, relatively speaking anyway. Let's hope the Livonia cops can figure this out without the same old preconceived notions that gave the city a bad rap in the first place.
    I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it sound:

1) TWO houses were firebombed, but only one had a black family living there.
    2) An eyewitness saw both a suspicious white man in the backyard and a black man running away from the scene of one of the firebombings.

I dunno, AJ, the first witness who saw the white man in close proximity to the activity said this white man waited for police and that is the witness who described a black man running away. Either witness 1 missed something OR witness 2's credibility is in question.

I'll admit I had a heck of a time following that article, but what specifically is the possible police misconduct in this story?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; November-27-13 at 03:27 PM.