Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Latest Packard Plant news... 11-26

"The prospective buyer of Detroit’s old Packard Plant said Monday that he will close the deal within weeks and offered a glimpse of his ambitious vision for attracting auto suppliers there and building an upscale go-kart racing track.

He also gave a timetable for constructing a personal apartment inside the empty factory and revealed the desired location for his project’s leasing office: the iconic brick bridge across East Grand Boulevard.
    In an interview in downtown Detroit, Fernando Palazuelo told the Free Press that he plans to approach the Detroit Three automakers to inquire about parts supplier firms that might wish to open shop someday in a cleaned-up and redeveloped Packard site in exchange for several years of free rent".

"Palazuelo said he plans to move to Detroit in January as his project gears up. He intends to build an apartment for himself in the Packard Plant and will move in once security is in place. His goal is to have the apartment and his first signed lease ready by April 9 — his 59th birthday.

“I plan to be living in the Packard Plant,” he said".

http://www.freep.com/article/2013112...036/1001/rss01

why does every person who tries to buy the packard plant have to be at least a little crazy?? I guess if you're gonna try to take on this project you have to be.. having said that it seems this guy is the most realistic

first thing he wants to do is clean it up and secure it.. makes sense.. then he's just going to slowly develop piece by piece one part at a time

he's in it for the long haul which is good.. i don't see it being fully restored for another 10-15 years.

Is he going to bunk with Alan Hill in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    why does every person who tries to buy the packard plant have to be at least a little crazy?? I guess if you're gonna try to take on this project you have to be.. having said that it seems this guy is the most realistic.
    No sane person will take a project like this on. If he is eccentric, but gets this back to some productive use it will be worth it.

Is there a rule that the adjective "old" must be placed in front of the noun "Packard" whenever it is written or spoken?

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Is there a rule that the adjective "old" must be placed in front of the noun "Packard" whenever it is written or spoken?
    "Old" as in previous user [[e.g., A Sav-a-Lot store is opening in the old Kroger store building). I guess you could also use "former" as the adjective.

To those nervous nellies on the other thread that were wondering why he didn't cough up the entire $400,000 immediately, this reasoning seems plausible to me:

On Monday, Palazuelo said he needs the extra time to secure the property and obtain insurance on it. He is in Detroit through the week and plans to meet with lawyers and local officials to determine how to guard the massive complex of buildings and deter the trespassers and metal scrappers who still visit.
    Why take on the liability until you can get insurance and security in place? Until then, if something catastrophic happens, it's the county's responsibility.

Anyone heard of any news on this project of taking over the Packard?

If a person can't come up with $500,000 to buy it how will they come up with $4,000,000.00 it will take to clean up the land?

The Peru based developer was given until Wednesday, December 18 to pay the outstanding balance. You’ve got 11 more days to go.

BTW, the estimate to clean up the site is $25 million, not $4 million.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2013311190125

The price to clean up the site keeps going up every time I look! lol I made deliveries and pickups at the plant until 2004 and the place I went to was a very toxic place! I don't see this person living on the site because of health issues!

Quote Originally Posted by faygoa1history View Post
    The price to clean up the site keeps going up every time I look! lol I made deliveries and pickups at the plant until 2004 and the place I went to was a very toxic place! I don't see this person living on the site because of health issues!
    You are thinking he is going to pitch a tent in some corner?

Bring in an RV to live in,a single wide mobile home,two portable office trailers with sleeping quarters.

Just because we cannot see something it does not meen everybody is blind.

Does your clean up estimates include a concrete crusher to recycle the old to mix with the new to save on costs?

I think it will cost 7 trillion to clean it up,of course there was one grafitti painter that did offer to help clean up when the time came so now it will only be 6 trillion.

It appears we will officially be handing over the Packard very soon. The remaining amount has been paid.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013121...ackard-Detroit