Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Pumpkin Pie

Default Pumpkin Pie

I need to get a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Where is the best place in the Downtown/Midtown area to get one?

That is almost funny. It is so easy to just make one or two. Most grocery stores sell them of course and they are all good enough.

Sorry I did not mean to sound snarky, buy the big Libby brand pumpkin pie can mix, add a can of condensed milk and two eggs, pour into a store bought pie shell and voila tastes homemade.

Me, I like to add my own spices etc but still buy the big roll out pie crusts. Years ago they sucked but now they are as good as any thing I could make. Pie crusts are easy to make but why fret if you can buy it cheap and tastes good.

Don't forget to bring reddi whip topping. Good luck and happy eats.

Isn't dangerously delicious pies open in midtown now? Yes I believe they are!

I get mine at Chene Modern. It is a bit west out on Warren Ave by Southfield.

Dangerously Delicious is indeed open, operating out of the 3rd Street Saloon as a separated business. Did lunch there last week. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Dangerously Delicious is indeed open, operating out of the 3rd Street Saloon as a separated business. Did lunch there last week. Very good.
    Did I read that sign correctly, $6.00 a slice / $30.00 for a whole pie? Sheesh!

Eastern Market is having their last Tuesday opening today.

baking the pie is pretty simple. if you decide to buy and want to stay on the less expensive side, mrs. smith's are just fine. quick and no mess to clean up.

Milano in Eastern Market has quite a few pumpkin pies and tarts.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Did I read that sign correctly, $6.00 a slice / $30.00 for a whole pie? Sheesh!
    Yeah 30 bucks for a pie is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Yeah 30 bucks for a pie is ridiculous.
    Not sure but that may be a dine in price.
    They are huge. If you order a savory pie ala a chicken pot pie it comes with a salad and makes a full lunch. One slice fills me up.

I'm processing the fresh pumpkin this evening to make the pies tomorrow. Pumpkin Pie really is as easy as pie to make. Things have gone up a lot, so what used to be pretty cheap to make costs more these days. Nowhere near $30, but upwards of $8 per pie maybe. Pumpkin, eggs, bought pie shell, can of evaporated milk, a little sugar and spices. Fuel to heat the oven, and your time to make it.

I made the pie crust tonight. Going to make my apple pie tomorrow. Its a little work but not impossible.

Gaz, you make me laugh! Easy as pie, great phrase. Pie is easy to make even the shell/crust. As mention I just buy it now. Why not, it is very good these days.

Even Martha Steward admits to using canned pie filling and evaporated milk. Might even make sour cream apple pie too. Easy stuff to make make... taste is divine

I make a pretty tasty pie, but can't say it is easy.
    Last edited by gnome; November-27-13 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Sorry about the inverted pic...wth?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

I make a pretty tasty pie, but can't say it is easy.
    Looks like substantial, "stick to you ribs" kind of food. And I agree, it can't possibly be easy to get it to remain in the tin like that.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-27-13 at 08:14 AM.

Well, after all the posts, I stopped @ Milano Bakery on the way home yesterday. It's impressive. I bought a few cookies, and I would call them "a cut above" the ordinary. I also thought their prices were reasonably for the quality you're getting. Their pumpkin pies were $10. One of those and a quart and a half of Breyer's Vanilla Bean, and you'll have the desert hit of the dinner.

I've been passing Milano for years but never stopped. I guess I'll give them a try today. Need to get to Busy Bee Hardware anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I've been passing Milano for years but never stopped. I guess I'll give them a try today. Need to get to Busy Bee Hardware anyways.
    Same here, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm trying to think what I need from Busy Bee...........