Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit's Home Depot: Most profitable among 100 regional stores

Perhaps the best proof to date that big business CAN work in Detroit.

http://freep.com/article/20090717/BU...g-to-customers

Left wing media spinning out of control. The shrinkage alone within 50 miles of Detroit's theives would prevent this place from ever making a profit. The Free Press and Home Depot can keep up the lies if they want to but we know someone gets raped in the parking every night.

That is some good news indeed. I hope they can keep it up.

I am glad that it is working out for that store- although I would think that the reason it is so profitable is because it is the only one, or even store of it's type, in that area. The second someone gets the idea to put in a Lowes nearby or set up a new Home Depot in the city I would think the profits will drop to a more average level.

That Home Depot services that area. There are two other Home Depots not that far away. One on Ford Rd/Southfield, and another at Southfield/94, where there is also a Lowe's. I'm sure there are plenty of Home Depots in BFE that don't share the competition of a Lowe's, yet of those 100, they aren't the leader in profits.

Damn people, can't you for once just face the fact that it IS possible for a business to suceed in Detroit? If Meijer moves into 8 mile/Woodward, I'm sure they will also be one of the more profitable stores in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Damn people, can't you for once just face the fact that it IS possible for a business to suceed in Detroit?
    NO! Because it's not possible within the constructs of my limited mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    That Home Depot services that area. There are two other Home Depots not that far away. One on Ford Rd/Southfield, and another at Southfield/94, where there is also a Lowe's. I'm sure there are plenty of Home Depots in BFE that don't share the competition of a Lowe's, yet of those 100, they aren't the leader in profits.

Damn people, can't you for once just face the fact that it IS possible for a business to suceed in Detroit? If Meijer moves into 8 mile/Woodward, I'm sure they will also be one of the more profitable stores in the region.

You're 100% correct. The Hard Rock Cafe was the most profitable the year it opened up. Dowtown's Fishbone has concisitently been one of the most profitable restaurants in the midwest for well over a decade. The Super Kmart that Home Depot replaced was making money hand over fist at the time it was shut down. Comcast makes more money per capita in Detroit than anywhere else in the state. Don't worry about the complainers. Losers always expect to lose.

In the mid-90's, there was a Forest City/Handy Andy at Schoolcraft & Middlebelt, a Home Depot across the street, Builder's Squares at 7 & Middlebelt and Plymouth w/o Middlebelt and Home Quarters on Inkster at Fullerton.

I think the only one that survived was the Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In the mid-90's, there was a Forest City/Handy Andy at Schoolcraft & Middlebelt, a Home Depot across the street, Builder's Squares at 7 & Middlebelt and Plymouth w/o Middlebelt and Home Quarters on Inkster at Fullerton.

I think the only one that survived was the Home Depot.
    Right, because those other home supply businesses went out of business altogether...

Exactly, any business that is making money isn't going to close up and leave.

I remember when they put that SuperKmart at Ford and Southfield. It was gone in a year due to the shoplifting. They said they lost their ass due to that alone. That wasn't even in Detroit, just near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Exactly, any business that is making money isn't going to close up and leave.

I remember when they put that SuperKmart at Ford and Southfield. It was gone in a year due to the shoplifting. They said they lost their ass due to that alone. That wasn't even in Detroit, just near it.

That's not true. It was closed due to restructuring.

You're right, Sport, this is good - and surprising - news. I've shopped there a few times and while it does not carry the kind of stock that graces the shelves of their Northville store, it is as clean as any other HD. Loss prenvention people are very visible.

I will say that I don't understand the parking lot. You could park an aircraft carrier there with room left over for a Fermi III.

That's not what I recall the paper saying at the time. If you'll think back, that was long before Kmart restructured and that was a brand new store.

Wow, just wow.

I'm so tired of people like you finding fault with anything positive that happens in Detroit. You need to just get it over with and jump off of a building already. I have roof access to several different options, PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Left wing media spinning out of control. The shrinkage alone within 50 miles of Detroit's theives would prevent this place from ever making a profit. The Free Press and Home Depot can keep up the lies if they want to but we know someone gets raped in the parking every night.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    You're right, Sport, this is good - and surprising - news. I've shopped there a few times and while it does not carry the kind of stock that graces the shelves of their Northville store, it is as clean as any other HD. Loss prenvention people are very visible.

I will say that I don't understand the parking lot. You could park an aircraft carrier there with room left over for a Fermi III.
    Like their suburban counterparts, they've tried to Lease the Outlots to restaurants and such. But unlike their suburban counterparts, the Citizen District Council for that area gives potential developers pure hell.

It is very possible for businesses to do well in Detroit. However, you also have to look at profit margins and how they are affected by the theft rate. The Target store at Eastland [[not Detroit, but close) has one of the highest theft rates in the nation. Depends on what kind of store and what you are selling really. It is much harder to take a plant of wood from a store than an Ipod.

Oh, Doma. You know CP, always trolling the gullible forum posters with comical sarcasm. Personally, I lol'd. Protip: CP is kidding.

Unless, Doma is also joking around too. It's hard to tell online. FFFUUUUUUUU--!!

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Like their suburban counterparts, they've tried to Lease the Outlots to restaurants and such. But unlike their suburban counterparts, the Citizen District Council for that area gives potential developers pure hell.
    What are you talking about? Is Captain D's not open anymore? I went that HD at least once a week when I was doing my undergrad at U of D.

its been closed for a year. i guess we can't win em all.

This is good news...I go to that Home Depot regularly. The staff is always friendly and helpful. And the best thing about the place?: Outside, there is no "crunbled pavement" in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    What are you talking about? Is Captain D's not open anymore? I went that HD at least once a week when I was doing my undergrad at U of D.

Yeah, it's gone. But that wasn't because of the CDC. The guy that owned it, Paul Hubbard, is a little bit on the shady side. You may remember him from a couple of years ago. He was the guy that was supposed to open up 30 Papa John's back in 2007.

Outback Steakhouse and Perkins were supposed to build on the Outlots, but decided that it wasn't worth it when you have to have contracts with Hartford Memorial Baptist Church, the Seven Mile Partnership, the CDC and then, on top of all that, deal with the Meah's, Kilpatrick's, Riddle's and Conyers' type in City government.

Making money in this city isn't a problem. Being left the hell alone so you can make money is the problem.

Benjamin, I'm going to give you one word......................Plywood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    That's not what I recall the paper saying at the time. If you'll think back, that was long before Kmart restructured and that was a brand new store.
    I think your recollection is a bit off. The Super K Mart that was on Ford Rd in Dearborn stayed open for more than a decade. It was closed in 2003 when K Mart went into bankruptcy, at which point they closed many of their locations around the country.

And finally, there is now a Wal-Mart operating in the exact same space that the K Mart once occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    And finally, there is now a Wal-Mart operating in the exact same space that the K Mart once occupied.

Now that IS bad news!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast