Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fire on Jefferson - Abandoned Somerset Apartments Ruins Destroyed

Apartment house next to Maxey Ford on fire as I type.

Name:  fire.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  30.5 KB

20 minutes later

Name:  fire 2.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  29.5 KB

Would not be surprise if arson was the cause

Nice shots!

In just a couple weeks we've lost this guy, the University Club, a Heidelberg House, the St. Josephat steeple, and I'm sure dozens of old homes.

There isn't going to be anything left of Detroit worth saving if this keeps up. Just cinder block liquor stores.

It's the old Somerset Apt complex. Some arsonist or squatter got inside light up the place with fire. Making the Lafayette Park area look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    In just a couple weeks we've lost this guy, the University Club, a Heidelberg House, the St. Josephat steeple, and I'm sure dozens of old homes.

There isn't going to be anything left of Detroit worth saving if this keeps up. Just cinder block liquor stores.
    If we went to the site of those places [[except for the homes, of course) a year from today, I'll correctly predict a McDonald's will be built on all three non-home sites.

arson. definitely arson...

many lengths of rope strewn around the joint in the 3 'pod' that had been soaked in kerosene...

at least thats what the 1st responding Chief told me...

a few more...

Amazing shots Lt.

thanks... i drove up on it just as the first trucks were getting there. the ladder truck in the alley was putting out its outriggers. the Chief had ladder trucks there before the engines showed up...

they stretched in through a 2nd story window and had it pretty much all beaten back when it started burning on the 3rd floor [[fire in the overhead) so they pulled out, added 2 tower trucks and soaked it down for the next 3 hours even with it burning through the rooftop...

it was pretty friggin' cold and its not even winter yet..

Dang, what a shame. Not that this building was in good enough shape to be rehabbed easily or any special architectural wonder. But in my mind, the E. Jefferson corridor will soon be ripe for investment - with many residential neighborhoods still intact, actual real deal commercial business along much of it's length, some investment over the past 15 years, plus its proximity to the River - it may see growth in the future - but this is one less building [[with potentially a large residential capacity) which will now mar and inhibit that work - and not contribute positively to future growth.

Nice photos though!

Kerosene, really?!

There are only so many places that sell that nearby...and they all seem to have video surveillance...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Kerosene, really?!

There are only so many places that sell that nearby...and they all seem to have video surveillance...
    or diesel or gasoline...

gasoline is pretty hazardous to handle for something like this if youre not careful since its the fumes that volatile...

Detroit history burning of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    or diesel or gasoline...

gasoline is pretty hazardous to handle for something like this if youre not careful since its the fumes that volatile...
    You seem to have a frightening familiarity with such things, Dave :-)

If you look carefully in the photos, you can see a guy dressed in a Ronald McDonald outfit, holding a gas can ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by CleveBill View Post
    You seem to have a frightening familiarity with such things, Dave :-)

If you look carefully in the photos, you can see a guy dressed in a Ronald McDonald outfit, holding a gas can ;-)
    worked with a fire department for about 2 years, had firefighting training in the Air Force. they guys at Bob Maxey Ford saw the guy pull up, spend about 20 minutes on the other side of the building, then leave...

yeah, no Ronald. i made sure he wasnt in any of my pics...

Outstanding pics LtDave. Especially XO0A2260_zps357544d1... Thank you for sharing these!

Very sad. Although the property was in bad shape, it still could have been rehabilitated at some point in the near future. I hate to see historical architecture of the past destroyed like this. These charming old buildings are part of what allures many of us to the old cities in the first place. They separate Detroit from many of the newer cities and also keeps us in the same category as other rust belt and industrial cities. This could have been a nice courtyard development in a pretty decent location.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Very sad. Although the property was in bad shape, it still could have been rehabilitated at some point in the near future. I hate to see historical architecture of the past destroyed like this. These charming old buildings are part of what allures many of us to the old cities in the first place. They separate Detroit from many of the newer cities and also keeps us in the same category as other rust belt and industrial cities. This could have been a nice courtyard development in a pretty decent location.
    The Somerset Apartment Building was certainly not of the quality of the Palms, the Pasadena, or many of the other long-gone apartments that were built along East Jefferson around 1900 - 1920. But for what it was, it was, IMO, very well designed.

Take a look back at LtDave's first photo. Look at the front door with its fanlight window. Notice the stone pilasters and the dentils. The Somerset's entrance is a wonderful example of simple, classic architecture.

On either side of the entrance are three tall windows, french doors actually. Again with still visible fan lights. The lobby, to the right of the door was lit by those 3 french doors. The ceilings were ±12 feet in height. To the right rear of the lobby was a substantial staircase. Also, there were several square fluted columns that matched the pilasters at the front door. To the left was the manager's apartment also with ±12 foot ceilings and french doors facing Jefferson.

Like illwill, I had hoped it could have been rehabilitated at some point. But alas...

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    ...On either side of the entrance are three tall windows, french doors actually. Again with still visible fan lights. The lobby, to the right of the door was lit by those 3 french doors. The ceilings were ±12 feet in height. To the right rear of the lobby was a substantial staircase. Also, there were several square fluted columns that matched the pilasters at the front door. To the left was the manager's apartment also with ±12 foot ceilings and french doors facing Jefferson...
    thanks for the details! sounds like youve been in there once or twice...

In Detroit when arsonists burn down abandon buildings, it's their calling card for the city government and its leaders. ' If you don't tear it down, burn it down!'

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    In Detroit when arsonists burn down abandon buildings, it's their calling card for the city government and its leaders. ' If you don't tear it down, burn it down!'
    Actually, it's obviously the gentrification process continuing along Jefferson Ave. That corridor is ripe for redevelopment, and I'd wager there will be much to follow. Detroit M.O. 'Destroy By Neglect'. Leave the building to rot a few decades, not citing the owners for abandonment, or forcing the building to be secured. Then the scrappers hit it hard, then the Urban Explorers, and finally the homeless move in and take up residence. Sometimes it's these squatters trying to get/stay warm in the cold months, and they wind up fucking things up....or the speculators put out the word, spread a little money around....and suddenly the land ain't so expensive to take over anymore. Hmmmm, you think this shit is coincidental? Think some more. That stretch is like Chicago's 'Gold Coast'. Right across the street from 'Riverwalk' "Dequindre Cut'....and the State Park 'Belle Isle'. Eyes open for further development on this story. This town will make it's comeback....at ANY cost. These people are ruthless.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    Actually, it's obviously the gentrification process continuing along Jefferson Ave. That corridor is ripe for redevelopment, and I'd wager there will be much to follow. Detroit M.O. 'Destroy By Neglect'. Leave the building to rot a few decades, not citing the owners for abandonment, or forcing the building to be secured. Then the scrappers hit it hard, then the Urban Explorers, and finally the homeless move in and take up residence. Sometimes it's these squatters trying to get/stay warm in the cold months, and they wind up fucking things up....or the speculators put out the word, spread a little money around....and suddenly the land ain't so expensive to take over anymore. Hmmmm, you think this shit is coincidental? Think some more. That stretch is like Chicago's 'Gold Coast'. Right across the street from 'Riverwalk' "Dequindre Cut'....and the State Park 'Belle Isle'. Eyes open for further development on this story. This town will make it's comeback....at ANY cost. These people are ruthless.
    I agree with the both of you [[meaning JohnnyFreddy & Danny). I think this is resistance to the change and gentrification that's occurring downtown and a few other areas of the city. I think it will get more intense and I just hope it doesn't escalate to random acts of physical violence. The tensions are definitely growing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast