Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New 9 story building in midtown!

OMG this is so exciting! A new building is being built with a very modern design! No school or office, it will be 248 apartments and a hotel!
    MIDTOWN>DOWNTOWN
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/7332/wsu_will_build_an_apartment_hotel_and_conference_c enter_complex_in_midtown#.Uo_NU8SsjvYName:  article_landing_wsu_9721.jpg
Views: 3713
Size:  42.5 KB

UPDATE: Roof top pool? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!Name:  ren6.jpeg
Views: 2062
Size:  42.7 KB
    Last edited by jw101; November-22-13 at 08:14 PM.

this is great news.. cass corridor coming alive

also WHOA... JUST NOTICED.... they have an apple store in that rendering!!! i know sometimes people just put that in to make it look better but that would be AMAAAZIIING.. i know gilbert has been trying EXTREMELY hard to get an apple store downtown... would be soooo sick if they had one in midtown too... i mean you have a HUGE university all around so that would make sense!!!

that actually made me really excited..

What? No parking???

Looks like urban generica. I know, I know ...

My god this is a great time for Midtown. So much happening. Any word on when the LTU building will start...or that medical office building on Woodward?

I assume the NW corner where there is one lonely house sitting?

This is great news! Does anybody know what the exact site is for this building?

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    Corner of Cass and Canfield, on that surface lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    In the gravel parking lot directly on Cass Ave and Canfield st. Stretching close by THE Whitney and Wayne State Apartments. The whole parking lot space, basically.

+1 for added density, mixed use
    -10 for design

Isn't this at the same intersection as The Auburn?

Glad to hear this!!! More awesome news for Midtown! The development projects by Wayne State have really helped the area and I hope they continue.

The design in this evocation is not bad. It has a nice hefty size and provides continuity. I think this size of project can bring on more development. Businesses will invariably choose this hub setting over lower density and less frequented sites once it is built. I hope one day that long blocks can be used the way they used to be; with lower density streetscaping even if it means minimizing returns and property values in semi-commercial real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Isn't this at the same intersection as The Auburn?
    Yes, it is at the same intersection across Canfield from the Auburn. The original plan for the South University Village District called for Phase 2 to begin much earlier than this, before the Auburn was even a pipe dream [[prior to the Auburn there was talks of a Ace or Aco or some other hardware store on the Auburn's lot which never materialized)

Phase I is Studio One.

And if all goes well Phase 3 they originally stated is going to be the gravel lot at Forrest / Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    +1 for added density, mixed use
    -10 for design
    I am at least happy they are calling for it to be 9 stories. After other development in the area I can not be picky on design.

[[I still can't comprehend the Woodward Garden choice of doing brick on the first floor to somewhat match the building it is connected with, but than the upper levels to do this yellow and gray metal looking material which stands out from the building it is connected to like crazy)

How many Detroiters in the 1920's would have gotten excited about a 9 story building? May as well be the first Starbucks in Benton Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnbonham View Post
    Yes, it is at the same intersection across Canfield from the Auburn.
    With 58 units at The Auburn and 248 at this development, that's a lot of new residential at that intersection. Not the mention the hotel activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    With 58 units at The Auburn and 248 at this development, that's a lot of new residential at that intersection. Not the mention the hotel activity.
    On top of that, you've got the new "night light" sculpture across the street. What a great tourist area!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Looks like urban generica. I know, I know ...
    That building is the beginning of new PANEM Empire of Michigan. Detroit is its capital and black folks in Detroit's 6 districts will be oppressed. Hunger Games for them while they still catching fire for the mockingjay.

248 apartments?! Oakland County takeover of Detroit has begun!

Of course Detroit belongs to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    This looks like a fantastic development. Just awesome. Between Forest Arms, Strathmore, Garden Block, this development, the proposed one at the Lodge/Canfield...there looks to be a ton of new apartments coming online within the next two to four years...

Looking at the renderings...I don't see any obvious parking on site. With parking in that neighborhood kind of an issue already...I have to imagine there is a plan to accommodate the residents and/or hotel guests.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast