Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Electronic Music Festival Returns - Free at Campus Martius - Paid at Ford

DEMF originator Carol Marvin along with techno godfather Juan Atkins has returned to lead next year's electronic music festival. Also returning is the original name for the electronic music festival after a 10 year hiatus.

I think this is good news for a a couple of reasons. First off the name of Detroit is returned and gone is Movement which to my ears always sounded like... well.

Next, it has a free site held in an exciting new location - Campus Martius, in the heart of the reviving downtown. Ford Field will be a paid venue, paying for the free part.

Will it still be at Hart Plaza?

What I got of the article in the Detroit News is that Movement will still go on during Memorial day weekend. That will still be organized by Paxahau. "DEMF" will be a new festival, July 4-6. Tickets run $300, and will be at Ford Field and Campus Martius. This idea is a dud right out of the gates. A 3 day, $300 festival, with the majority of it INDOORS at Ford Field in the middle of the summer? Sounds like a poorly conceived idea.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...July-4-weekend

This is planned to take place just over a month after Movement. Most people will be a "Technoed out" for at least another year. I predict they will barely sell any presale tickets, and the whole festival will be scrapped several months in advance. In fact, I will be shocked if it actually comes to fruition.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ment-stays-put

Am I just a cheapskate or is $300 kind of a lot for concert tickets, especially if we're talking something appealing more to 17-year-olds than Barbara Streisand fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    What I got of the article in the Detroit News is that Movement will still go on during Memorial day weekend. That will still be organized by Paxahau. "DEMF" will be a new festival, July 4-6. Tickets run $300, and will be at Ford Field and Campus Martius.
    Thanks. The report I heard on WDET this morning made no mention that Movement was still on. Setting aside the name, I always thought they did a very good job of running their festivals. I falsely assumed they had been elbowed out.

Can Detroit handle two electronic music festivals? I hope so. However that $300 price point seems way too high. Unless they shave $200 I predict Ford Field be empty and Campus Martius jammed.

CMart should not be used for these types of large scale events. The Jazz fest may be an exception but generally the venue should hold small concerts and be a free spot to drop in and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Thanks. The report I heard on WDET this morning made no mention that Movement was still on. Setting aside the name, I always thought they did a very good job of running their festivals. I falsely assumed they had been elbowed out.

Can Detroit handle two electronic music festivals? I hope so. However that $300 price point seems way too high. Unless they shave $200 I predict Ford Field be empty and Campus Martius jammed.
    We'll see what Carol can pull together. She's a sketchy figure who has refused to give over naming rights to DEMF since 2002, hence Fuse-In and Movement. But if she can draw some big names that haven't made appearances in Detroit in years, this could go down very very well. You have to realize, as an electronic music fan, there are approximately two acts I would pay that $300 to see. If one of the two are there, and the supporting cast is solid, I will probably go. Definitely going to the free portion regardless.

And guys, $300 for a 3 day festival isn't really out of the question for many younger people, my age and below. I know plenty of people who go to Movement, Pitchfork, Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc all in one year. This is just something that, once the lineup is released, they will have to determine if it is worth not going to a different festival. Will it succede? All up to Carol Marvin. Without a lineup though, I can't say one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Am I just a cheapskate or is $300 kind of a lot for concert tickets, especially if we're talking something appealing more to 17-year-olds than Barbara Streisand fans?
    It's quite beyond my budget for watching a bunch of DJs. I started going to concerts in 1972 and saw way too many shows for $4.50 - $10.00. Even adjusted for inflation I couldn't possibly justify the expense. I'll be curious to see how many tickets are sold. I went to the first several DEMFs in Hart Plaza, when they were free; George Clinton appeared at one of the last ones I attended, in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    We'll see what Carol can pull together. She's a sketchy figure who has refused to give over naming rights to DEMF since 2002, hence Fuse-In and Movement. But if she can draw some big names that haven't made appearances in Detroit in years, this could go down very very well. You have to realize, as an electronic music fan, there are approximately two acts I would pay that $300 to see. If one of the two are there, and the supporting cast is solid, I will probably go. Definitely going to the free portion regardless.

And guys, $300 for a 3 day festival isn't really out of the question for many younger people, my age and below. I know plenty of people who go to Movement, Pitchfork, Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc all in one year. This is just something that, once the lineup is released, they will have to determine if it is worth not going to a different festival. Will it succede? All up to Carol Marvin. Without a lineup though, I can't say one way or another.
    $300 is a lot of money for a 3-day festival. Lollapalooza is only $235 for a 3-day pass [[and $200 "early-bird"). That is a well-established festival with large amounts of popular artists. This is a brand new, niche-market festival that is a month following an ever bigger one. I'm not sure two Electronic festivals a month apart would work anyway, but at that price point, ick. Why should people pay $300 for this when they can just do Movement instead a month earlier for under $100?
    Last edited by Spartan; November-21-13 at 10:25 AM.

I am a little surprised to see her name in this town again, thought she burned all her goodwill...nuked some of it, from the stories I've heard. This is only hearsay, I was never involved with any of the festivals directly. But if Juan Adkins is willing to join up with her, I have to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I would imagine she controlled those stories, insisting that the names used for the 'other' festival not be used in any stories about this venture.

Curious news, this. I hope for the best for her and the whole genre. It brings such great international attention to the town...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    $300 is a lot of money for a 3-day festival. Lollapalooza is only $235 for a 3-day pass [[and $200 "early-bird"). That is a well-established festival with large amounts of popular artists. This is a brand new, niche-market festival that is a month following an ever bigger one. I'm not sure two Electronic festivals a month apart would work anyway, but at that price point, ick. Why should people pay $300 for this when they can just do Movement instead a month earlier for under $100?
    Electric Daisy Carnival is $249 for GA, so I can see your point here, definitely. Like I said, its up to Carol and Juan to bring value to this event, and if they don't, it will be a one year thing and Caroll will be run out of town for another 10+ years. Trust me that I am extremely skeptical, especially with ticket prices, but I hope it succedes. I personally think a $200/3 Day would've been tops, but hey, I'm not organizing the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Is it me or is the cost of almost all music and sporting events just ridiculous these days. I hope it is a success but that price is absurd especially for an indoor event in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I am a little surprised to see her name in this town again, thought she burned all her goodwill...nuked some of it, from the stories I've heard.
    I think she [[wisely) stepped out of the spotlight and continued on as an event planner/promoter, albeit quietly. Given the fact that quite a few folks never got paid when she ran the DEMFs round the turn of the century, I don't know who's going to line up to work with her on this. Time will tell I guess. You can count on plenty of drama leading up to this though.

Give me some good techno on the 4th of July and I'll be happy - used to love the beats in the concrete canyon stage on 2nd at the Tastefest.

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    I think she [[wisely) stepped out of the spotlight and continued on as an event planner/promoter, albeit quietly. Given the fact that quite a few folks never got paid when she ran the DEMFs round the turn of the century, I don't know who's going to line up to work with her on this. Time will tell I guess. You can count on plenty of drama leading up to this though.

Give me some good techno on the 4th of July and I'll be happy - used to love the beats in the concrete canyon stage on 2nd at the Tastefest.
    More beats during the summer = happy motz. Tec-Detroit seemingly was a success this year [[had a S/O who just DID NOT want to go) and there is always the SCP Backpack Drive... that is about four that I can count. I'd love to see New Center host a few more electronic music-oriented events as well. Plus Old Miami backyard parties... Detroit is great for this stuff during the summer, just wish it was the same for the winter!

I'm pretty interested to see who will be at both festivals and who they decide will play where. I'm sure FEMT is $300 because of the cost to rent Ford Field for three days. That is probably a lot more expensive than city parks/etc. It could be interesting in a contained space without worry of the elements.

I'm curious Motz who your 2 artists are that you would definitely pay to see?

I rather go to the free TECH FEST Rather than the paid TECG FEST. Because music should be free for everyone. It's our birthright as air and water.

This is planned to take place just over a month after Movement. Most people will be a "Technoed out" for at least another year. I predict they will barely sell any presale tickets, and the whole festival will be scrapped several months in advance. In fact, I will be shocked if it actually comes to fruition.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ment-stays-put
    With a name like Armin I can't take you serious. You are probably a huge fan of trance music, whistles, white sneakers, rhine stone shirts and spiky frosted tips, which make up your ensemble. First off who are you to say this will be scrapped? I am pretty sure Rothbury does quite well a month after Movement, which this event will fall on. Second were you even at the press conference? Did you happen to see the large turnout for the press conference alone? This event will do quite alright and will only grow. As for it being indoors, I do not agree with it, but where can you honestly have this event? Comerica Park? No, I believe the Tigers will be in town. Belle Isle? No, see Orion Festival [[c'est la vie). But then again look at the Winter Music Conference in Miami, part of it is held indoors at the Miami Beach Convention Center.

I agree $300 is expensive, but the target audience is typically early 20 year olds who jam Hart Plaza; who jammed Pontiac for the Mad Decent Block Party; who jammed Claude Von Stroke at Royal Oak Music Theater; and who jam these festivals year in and year out. While this festival may not hold a light to Lollapalooza, Electric Daisy or Pitchfork, I still think they will get a steady crowd. Don't believe me look at Movement. Ticket prices still go up and this genre still spends the money and comes in by the masses. I wouldn't be surprised to see some big names on this bill for this ticket price.
    Last edited by warsaw7; December-02-13 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    With a name like Armin I can't take you serious. You are probably a huge fan of trance music, whistles, white sneakers, rhine stone shirts and spiky frosted tips, which make up your ensemble. First off who are you to say this will be scrapped? I am pretty sure Rothbury does quite well a month after Movement, which this event will fall on. Second were you even at the press conference? Did you happen to see the large turnout for the press conference alone? This event will do quite alright and will only grow. As for it being indoors, I do not agree with it, but where can you honestly have this event? Comerica Park? No, I believe the Tigers will be in town. Belle Isle? No, see Orion Festival [[c'est la vie). But then again look at the Winter Music Conference in Miami, part of it is held indoors at the Miami Beach Convention Center.

I agree $300 is expensive, but the target audience is typically early 20 year olds who jam Hart Plaza; who jammed Pontiac for the Mad Decent Block Party; who jammed Claude Von Stroke at Royal Oak Music Theater; and who jam these festivals year in and year out. While this festival may not hold a light to Lollapalooza, Electric Daisy or Pitchfork, I still think they will get a steady crowd. Don't believe me look at Movement. Ticket prices still go up and this genre still spends the money and comes in by the masses. I wouldn't be surprised to see some big names on this bill for this ticket price.
    With a name like Warsaw, I can't take you serious. You're probably Polish, which means you're most likely eating crayons right now and waiting on some friends to come over to help you change a lightbulb.

Armin is my cat's name, Sparky. My wife named him that because she's Dutch. And, BTW, I am the antithesis of a candy raver or a trance fan. I've gone to every DEMF since 2000, and I'm just telling you that this new festival is doomed. It's not happening. If you want to place a wager with me, send me a PM and I'll be happy to take your money late Spring 2014 when they announce that the new festival doesn't have 1/5th of the expected ticket sales at that time.

With a name like Warsaw, I can't take you serious. You're probably Polish, which means you're most likely eating crayons right now and waiting on some friends to come over to help you change a lightbulb.

Armin is my cat's name, Sparky. My wife named him that because she's Dutch. And, BTW, I am the antithesis of a candy raver or a trance fan. I've gone to every DEMF since 2000, and I'm just telling you that this new festival is doomed. It's not happening. If you want to place a wager with me, send me a PM and I'll be happy to take your money late Spring 2014 when they announce that the new festival doesn't have 1/5th of the expected ticket sales at that time.
    Your stereotype is spot on Armin...... So what you are saying is that you have been to three DEMF's, so that makes you an expert. Your rebuttal is about a big of a joke as your goofy wager. You have not shown me otherwise as to why this festival will fail, all you have shown me is a defensive rant about your name and your wager. Godspeed, Armin [[LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Your stereotype is spot on Armin...... So what you are saying is that you have been to three DEMF's, so that makes you an expert. Your rebuttal is about a big of a joke as your goofy wager. You have not shown me otherwise as to why this festival will fail, all you have shown me is a defensive rant about your name and your wager. Godspeed, Armin [[LOL).
    Well I haven't shown you anything to proove my point mainly becuase I don't give a fuck about arguing with some tool on the internet about stupid shit.

DEMF is what most people still call Movement. Don't pretend like you don't know that, Jerky.

I'll still bet you $500 that show doesn't happen. It won't.

Well I haven't shown you anything to proove my point mainly becuase I don't give a fuck about arguing with some tool on the internet about stupid shit.

DEMF is what most people still call Movement. Don't pretend like you don't know that, Jerky.

I'll still bet you $500 that show doesn't happen. It won't.

Awww did I strike a nerve... and by the way how does one "proove" a point or are you being ironic and maybe trying to groove a point, hehe?! If you don't give a f*#k then why are you trying to solidify this bet? I want you to provide facts as to why this festival won't work. So far I hear a lot of swearing and a lot of chest beating...... I am just saying

Do you know who Carol Marvin is, warsaw? If not, google and read up and then understand why this will flop more than a 100lb catfish.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Do you know who Carol Marvin is, warsaw? If not, google and read up and then understand why this will flop more than a 100lb catfish.
    Actually yes I do. I have worked with her before.

Campus Martius is going to be swamped..how can they accommodate the large mass of people in a relatively small space?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast