Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prince Fielder Traded

To Texas for Ian Kinsler.

Maybe. Both players have to pass physicals, and Fielder has to approve the trade because of a limited no-trade clause in his contract.

I wonder if this has to do with money. If I remember, there was some grumbling about Fielder's 9 year $214M contract. The Tigers still owe him $168M over the next 7 years [[$24M a year) where as Kinsler's contract is for $62M over 4 years, or just under $16M a year.

You'd think someone would remember the lesson Texas learned when they signed A-Rod for $252 over 10 years back in 2001. His first trip back to Safeco, Seattle fans threw Monopoly money at him.

As if my Mariners have a tough enough road to hoe in the AL West......
    Last edited by douglasm; November-20-13 at 09:37 PM.

Hmmmmmm......Mixed emotion here. I remember what it was like from 1988 to 2005. These post season runs have been great, Fielder was instrumental in getting us there even though he vanished in the playoffs.

As I recall, Lowell, you were about the only one to agree with me when the trade was made about what a terrible fit Fielder would be. Now as I just finished watching Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings play the worst game I've ever seen, I can console myself that the Tigers are once again moving in the right direction.

Castellanos to 3rd, Miggy to 1st and ? in left.

This is just the first of more moves by the Tigers. This also potentially free's up money to resign Scherzer.

Good riddance to him! If he can't perform, put him out. What a 219 million dollar waste!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Good riddance to him! If he can't perform, put him out. What a 219 million dollar waste!
    I have to agree . He seemed to be here just for a BIG payday and his ego
    he never seem to really care about the team , the. Tigers or Detroit.
    When they tried to reach him , in the Bahamas ,he didn't bother answering his phone and when told via text , didn't even seem to care.
    but why would he , the tigers still owe him $178 MILLION !

Also this is the same team owner with his hand out begging for tax breaks from the tax payers !?, really ? You want a tax break for your new stadium , while you pay your players millions and millions ?

Don't get me wrong , I'm all for a new stadium and development , but Mr.llitch needs to step up and take a page out of Mr Gillberts play book !

I'm sorry but that's a hard pill to swallow
    sorry about that I was using my phone and by accident cut and pasted an invite to a wine party LOL
    my bad !
    :-)
    Last edited by Detroitdave; November-21-13 at 12:36 PM. Reason: edit

Sports section of DYes? No.......?

I hope this is a lesson to resist signing a player to that long of a contract . Next up Johan Franzen , the laziest player in the NHL

BREAKING NEWS! This just in: Baseball is still boring, just one notch above NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    BREAKING NEWS! This just in: Baseball is still boring, just one notch above NASCAR.
    Breaking news: No one cares about your opinion on things you don't like. Especially when you are going through the effort of clicking on a thread regarding a topic you know you don't enjoy, then taking the time to write out some annoying not-whitty-at-all message.

I am very excited. We have the free space to resign Scherzer and wiggle room to get us a new outfielder. Castellanos to 3B, Miggy to 1B, and I think we'll be right about there. Couldn't be more excited for 2014.

I think the new sabermetrics/moneyball approach to baseball is lock in your talent "up the middle" C-2b-SS-CF and get a good rotation. The "corner spots" 1B-3B-RF-LF and the bullpen can be picked up in the midrange of free agents on relatively inexpensive and short term contracts.

I think this trade is probably a good thing in the long run as it will allow us to keep the $$ tied up in JV, Max and Miggy. However, we need to do a lot this offseason still to offset this move. I don't trust Castellanos at 3B and at a minimum, we need to pick up another bat [[ideally a lefty) to play LF. Maybe we can get Granderson back :-) Also need to shore up the bullpen. It's great that we can probably keep Scherzer now, but doesn't do much good if we're just going to bring guys in after 7 to give up Grand Slams every game...

The "normal" way to build a team is to fill in the core with a good trade and one or two key free agents. The Tigers have developed Verlander, Porcello, Avila and not much more. You can't afford to pay for every spot on the roster. They need to take a chance on Castellanos at 3rd [[he's avg. at 3rd and below avg in left) and Rondon needs to stay healthy. I would like to see them trade Porcello for a veteran corner outfielder before he hits free agency. In 2 years one or two of their minor league outfielders should be ready.

If the Tigers can pull this off without having to pay part of Fielder's contract for a few years, it's a great deal.

Prince Fielder was a Detroit story beyond baseball. Boy returns 'home' to Detroit, the little kid who could hit it over the fence in Tiger Stadium, to lead the Tigers to a WS championship. There was a mix of baseball and show business. He also filled a demographic deficiency. There was only one Afro-American player on the team, Austin Jackson, at that point.

What they got was a steady [he played every game after all] but not sensational player who turned out to be somewhat distracted, even indifferent, perhaps dogged by a nasty divorce. Added to that a one-dimensional player with an immense salary in one of the more easy positions to fill. An off year and ineffective playoffs sealed it.

I think it is a good move for both sides. Tigers get more versatility. Prince gets to hit in a more homer friendly park.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As I recall, Lowell, you were about the only one to agree with me when the trade was made about what a terrible fit Fielder would be. Now as I just finished watching Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings play the worst game I've ever seen, I can console myself that the Tigers are once again moving in the right direction.

Castellanos to 3rd, Miggy to 1st and ? in left.
    Made the post season two years in a row with the guy - the fit couldn't have been too terrible.

It was time for him to go. Prince wore out his welcome with a belly flop of a playoff performance. His final clubhouse musings really sealed the deal. I never thought Dumbrowski could unload him but praise the Lord Hallelujah that he did. Feeling good about next year now.

I think now is the time to finally bring Andrew Mccuthcin to Detroit.

Jackson in Left, Torri in Right, Cutch in Center and batting leadoff.

1. Cutch
    2. Kinsler
    3. Carbera
    4. Martinez
    5. Hunter
    6. Jackson
    7. Avila
    8. Castellanos
    9. Iglesias

Not too shabby!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post

And how pray tell are we going to bring him here?

How much are we going to have to even pay for him?

Seriously... HOW?

I think we stand a better chance of getting Babe Ruth in his prime as opposed to getting McCutchin here this season.

There's no chance of McCrutchen coming to Detroit. Illitch is already overexpended and trying to cut payroll.

He's been spending money like the Yankees or Dodgers, which is great for the fans, but not sustainable over many years.

'' Made the post season two years in a row with the guy - the fit couldn't have been too terrible. ''1 HR and 3 RBI's in 24 post season games IS terrible even for our worst batter

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Breaking news: No one cares about your opinion on things you don't like. Especially when you are going through the effort of clicking on a thread regarding a topic you know you don't enjoy, then taking the time to write out some annoying not-whitty-at-all message.
    Yes, but this thread isn't in the sports section, which makes it fair game for my not-whitty-at-all message!

Althought Lowell is the one that posted it in this forum, so I think he gets an automatic pass...

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yes, but this thread isn't in the sports section, which makes it fair game for my not-whitty-at-all message!

Althought Lowell is the one that posted it in this forum, so I think he gets an automatic pass...
    Click on Sports section and read the announcement at the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post

Jackson in Left, Torri in Right, Cutch in Center and batting leadoff.

1. Cutch
    2. Kinsler
    3. Carbera
    4. Martinez
    5. Hunter
    6. Jackson
    7. Avila
    8. Castellanos
    9. Iglesias

Not too shabby!!
    Just curious, who did you trade? Verlander, Scherzer or both?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast