Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mustang fans - December 5 is the day!

the official reveal in 6 cities worldwide - Dearborn, LA, Sydney, Shanghai, Barcelona and NY. Official unveiling is 12:01 Dec. 5

A major event will be held on http://www.gofurtherlive2013.com/ at 1:00 p.m. CET [[7:00 AM EST)

I'll admit I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford can put together without a RWD platform anywhere to be found. Does it get standard AWD on the CD4 platform? And what design direction replaces the retro look? And how do they replace the ~400 hp V8?

I've seen it, as the company I work for has made a lot of the dies for the Mustang. It's a lot sleeker then the current model. It almost reminds me of the slick lines of the Camaro concept when they reintroduced it. We're working on the 15' model right now, which is pretty cool as well.

owned 3 of them in the family , loved every one of them except for in the winter time . slip and slide pulling away from a light in 1/4 inch of snow . I sincerly hope they get all 4 wheels involved this model year

The timing is almost perfect for the Mustang's 50th anniversary. The Ford Mustang was officially released on April 17th, 1964, but one of the joys of growing up in Detroit was seeing new or special cars on the street before the rest of the country did. A few weeks before the Mustang was introduced, a friend and I were driving along Lakeshore when I spotted a small white car parked at front door of Henry Ford ll's house. We slowed down [[traffic on Lakeshore wasn't quite so crazy then) and took note of the long hood and short deck, then drove off wondering "what was that?", later telling our friends about the mystery car! Of course when the car made it's debut not long after we feigned being really blase about it. We had much the same reaction when we started seeing the Chrysler Turbine cars cruising around town but that's a whole story in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    owned 3 of them in the family , loved every one of them except for in the winter time . slip and slide pulling away from a light in 1/4 inch of snow . I sincerly hope they get all 4 wheels involved this model year
    I had one that I bought new in 79, and 6 over the years as Ford management lease cars, and I hear ya about winter driving. To me perfection would be AWD that sends most of the power to the rear wheels in normal conditions and evens out the power delivery among all four wheels as traction deteriorates.

No need to wait until December 5th. Promotional photos of the new design leaked weeks ago...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-details-news

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    No need to wait until December 5th. Promotional photos of the new design leaked weeks ago...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-details-news
    Those aren't pictures, they are renders. better ones can be seen on mustang6g.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I'll admit I'm looking forward to seeing what Ford can put together without a RWD platform anywhere to be found. Does it get standard AWD on the CD4 platform? And what design direction replaces the retro look? And how do they replace the ~400 hp V8?
    1) it is on a RWD platform
    2) no
    3) Design still says "Mustang" but a much sleeker Mustang than ever
    4) Engine options:
    3.7 L V-6 - 300 HP
    2.3 L L4 Ecoboost - 310 HP
    5.0 L V-8 - 420 HP
    5.2 L V-8 "Voodoo" twin turbo - 550+ HP
    5.8 L V-8 supercharged - 662 HP

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    1) it is on a RWD platform
    2) no
    3) Design still says "Mustang" but a much sleeker Mustang than ever
    4) Engine options:
    3.7 L V-6 - 300 HP
    2.3 L L4 Ecoboost - 310 HP
    5.0 L V-8 - 420 HP
    5.2 L V-8 "Voodoo" twin turbo - 550+ HP
    5.8 L V-8 supercharged - 662 HP
    Always glad to learn from someone with actual, you know, knowledge. From the renderings it's pretty clearly RWD, and yes definitely sleeker. I can only hope they put it on a diet to increase the weight advantage vs Camaro and Challenger.

Ah, rb336 already said what I was going to say. Other information is that the Shelby will be sticking around, contrary to some other rumors.

The front looks like a Fusion with a pony in the middle of the grille. Not impressed. Probably costs over 50 g's too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The front looks like a Fusion with a pony in the middle of the grille. Not impressed. Probably costs over 50 g's too.
    Keep in mind that that's just a rendering of what somebody THINKS its going to look like. Not the actual photo from Ford. It could be much different.

And starting price is expected to stick around what it's at right now at about 22k.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I had one that I bought new in 79, and 6 over the years as Ford management lease cars, and I hear ya about winter driving. To me perfection would be AWD that sends most of the power to the rear wheels in normal conditions and evens out the power delivery among all four wheels as traction deteriorates.
    I've driven a mustang as my daily driver since 2007- first a 2005 and just recently bought a 2014. With the electronic traction control it is perfectly fine in the snow. It's not like the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I've driven a mustang as my daily driver since 2007- first a 2005 and just recently bought a 2014. With the electronic traction control it is perfectly fine in the snow. It's not like the old days.
    I'll admit my last was a 99, before the deterioration of my left knee made driving a stick in rush hour on the Southfield really painful [[and a Mustang with an automatic just isn't a Mustang). I taught myself the tricks to driving a front-heavy RWD car in snow, and drove Mustangs [[plus an equally challenging 85 T-bird) through 11 winters. I always said I chose a car for the 360 days when we don't have heavy snow, not the 5 when we do.

That said, I'm sure traction control [[and stability control) makes a world of difference in the Mustang. Now that Southfield at rush hour isn't part of my life [[early retirement at the end of 07), I could be convinced to put a Mustang on the list of potentials for my next car.

I love my 2014- tons of power and the interior is really luxurious with the latest technology. We may see how it goes in the snow pretty soon! I loved my 2005 also but the 2014 is a much nicer car all around.

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    Ah, rb336 already said what I was going to say. Other information is that the Shelby will be sticking around, contrary to some other rumors.
    yeah, well your forum name is my all-time dream car dammit

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    yeah, well your forum name is my all-time dream car dammit
    Haha, they were beautiful cars. The Speedster is my all time favorite as well. I have a Mustang though! They're a bit more attainable. I will always dream of having an Auburn, though!

Keep in mind that that's just a rendering of what somebody THINKS its going to look like. Not the actual photo from Ford. It could be much different.

And starting price is expected to stick around what it's at right now at about 22k.

22 g's is for the base model I'm sure. Who wants that? I would at least go for the GT or Shelby if I were purchasing one, which I'm not. The Shelby will top 50 g's easy.

22 g's is for the base model I'm sure. Who wants that? I would at least go for the GT or Shelby if I were purchasing one, which I'm not. The Shelby will top 50 g's easy.
    Well the base V6 model has more power than the old GT's with the 4.6L. I'd personally get the V8 as well, but the base is a great performer. Even with the 2014 model. And next years model should improve upon that.

Well the base V6 model has more power than the old GT's with the 4.6L. I'd personally get the V8 as well, but the base is a great performer. Even with the 2014 model. And next years model should improve upon that.
    From the specs I've found, the present V6 has about the same power-to-weight ratio as my 99 GT did, and that's pretty impressive. The days are long gone when the base Mustang is a car for people who like show more than go. Having said that, I'd definitely go for the GT just because

Mmmm... sure the Shelby tops 50k, but for that you get near supercar performance. Sounds like a deal to me if you have the money.

And here it is..... I like it.

Name:  s550_feature_1480x700_talent_in_doorway.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  26.0 KB

[[picture is from Ford's website)
    http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/2015//

I kind of like it too. I like the clean looking dash.

I was at the SF auto show recently. I frankly was disappointed with the Ford lineup. I thought the interiors were generally too busy and a bit tacky. I'm not in the market for a vehicle right now; I have a 2008 Escape hybrid with 52,000 miles on it, but if I were looking for something to replace it with I have no idea what it would be.

here's the drop-top:
    Name:  s550_feature_1480x700_convertible-top-down.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  22.6 KB