Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where to put a new business

After our new Trike manufacturing business gets going where would be a good place to locate? I was raised in Brightmoor and know the city very well but need some suggestions. My criteria is having a Detroit address. Sure I could go to one of the suburbs but if we're going to say they're "Made in Detroit" I think they should be.

Things to look for:

- Accessible to supply routes
    - Accessible to customers
    - Near other businesses [[means area is healthy)

I have no idea what your space requirements are. Will this be custom or larger scale? Custom will obviously require less space than an assembly line.

Are you looking to rent, or to buy?

As you are probably well aware there are a number of industrial properties available on the market. I would try to contact a broker that specializes in getting property owners together with industrialists such as yourself to see what can be accomplished.

Locate near Shinola in New Center, launch a secondary business that is related, and call the papers to tell them that Detroit now has a growing, personal transit business hub that is taking the world by storm. Free publicity will rain on you...

Big question.....retail or wholesale?

Given recent events, the Packard may still be available.

You can find small industrial sites with neighboring businesses if you look hard enough. But do your homework, because once you cross into the "Industrial" category, you can expect doing business in the CoD to cost exponentially more than you would ever imagine. As an example, be prepared to get billed at industrial water rates, which even with a toilet, sink and drinking fountain, can cost you over 5K /yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    You can find small industrial sites with neighboring businesses if you look hard enough. But do your homework, because once you cross into the "Industrial" category, you can expect doing business in the CoD to cost exponentially more than you would ever imagine. As an example, be prepared to get billed at industrial water rates, which even with a toilet, sink and drinking fountain, can cost you over 5K /yr.

This probably has to do with how mismanaged the whole water setup is in all North American cities from the get-go.

If we calculate all of the misused, overused and wasted water supply by industries far and wide across the continent, we will be astounded at the cost of this overrun for municipalities and hence; your private homeowner/ taxpayer.

I

Check the empty storefronts along Gratiot/Russel area

Initially will need about 3,500 sq. ft. for assembly of suspension units and shipping of kits. Roush will be supplying fiberglass bodies and sub frames and Gary Stiehl at Advance Custom paint in Belleville will be making them look great.

I guess I would categorize our need as light commercial. I appreciate the info.on the industrial aspect but are there any cost incentives or breaks from the city for locating within the city limits? I'm not looking for a freebie but any new business needs all the help it can get to make a go of it...
    Last edited by MotorCityTrikes; November-20-13 at 11:17 PM.

There was once something known as empowerment zones which gave special breaks on taxes under certain conditions. I would check with someone who works in Economic Development at the Detroit Planning Department. Who knows, maybe they can set you up with a reputable broker as well.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/BusinessDev...3/Default.aspx

I appreciate the input from everyone.

Hah-ha! Funny......

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Given recent events, the Packard may still be available.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityTrikes View Post
    Initially will need about 3,500 sq. ft. for assembly of suspension units and shipping of kits. Roush will be supplying fiberglass bodies and sub frames and Gary Stiehl at Advance Custom paint in Belleville will be making them look great.

I guess I would categorize our need as light commercial. I appreciate the info.on the industrial aspect but are there any cost incentives or breaks from the city for locating within the city limits? I'm not looking for a freebie but any new business needs all the help it can get to make a go of it...
    Are these motorized trikes or push/pedaled trikes? There are empty warehouses around the Woodbridge area near the riverfront

Check out Pony Ride in Corktown, a business incubator.

http://ponyride.org/

There is a building across from Packard that is owned by somebody else not affiliated with Packard ,you could work a creative deal with the owner on a lease purchase,sub lease a section to somebody else to help cover costs.

there is a well publicized person currantly living in there that could be a help in both security and assembly, you would contact David Wax.

You could pitch to Spark in Ann Arbor for funding help but they have hedge fund mentality,build and sell.But on the other hand most of the state based incentives are pushed through them so you may be able to use them to get off of the ground then convert to employee owned with a private investor after you establish a track record.

Your heart is in the rite place but your business needs to be in Livonia. Plenty of clean safe 3,500 sq. ft. industrial sites along Schoolcraft, and you will be close to Roush. In fact he owns a lot of them. Just say-in.

No one ever belongs in Livonia...

Well, since freeways are so vital to Detroit, and always worth expanding, in the minds of many posters here, why not locate right near a freeway? Plenty of room at Joy and Grand River.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    No one ever belongs in Livonia...
    That gave me my first smile of the day!

Put a new business on Mt. Eillot or Vandyke, plenty of space over there

That's the nice thing about Detroit today there are a lot of places that would make a good location. I live just west of Livonia and you're right it would be very convenient. I was maybe thinking Woodward or Grand River/Southfield area. Great access south to 96 & 94 or up to 696 right on over to 75.

There are pros and cons to locating in Detroit, but I think if you locate anywhere outside of the greater downtown area you wouldn't be maximizing the pros or minimizing the cons.

If you locate somewhere in the greater downtown area you'll get tons of free PR, be part of an engaging business community, and good branding. You don't really get that as much in other parts of the city but you still have to deal with crime and taxes.

Downriviera's ponyride suggestion is a good one and even if you don't actually end up with them, I can only imagine they'd be more than happy to give you more specific advice and help hook you up with the right people.

That's just it Jason I want this to be a Detroit thing I grew up there and went to school there. My entire childhood was on Braile and Midland. It's just the right thing to do. It's easy to walk away when times are tough but I have a chance to give back to my hometown.

Don't know if they would be considered competition or not [[no Rouch ties), but these guys have been tucked back there near Schaefer south of Plymouth for about a year and change now. Maybe they want neighbors.

http://detroitbikes.com/

No I think we can co-exist in the same town....hey btw Detroiters "Happy Thanksgiving" !!