Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is a DPD "Tiger Unit"?

A car caught up with me on Warren Avenue, not far from the incinerator off I-75...and when he turned the corner I realized it was a black Detroit Police cruiser headed for some gas.

On the trunklid was the term "Tiger Unit".

Anyone ever hear of this before? What the hell is it?!

Cheers,
    John

Those are the cops they send into the drug houses that have exotic cats in them.

Whoa. MeOW.

for real planner

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    for real planner
    If you do an internet search you can find out what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If you do an internet search you can find out what it is.
    I did, and came up empty.

Asked Sport, and he said it was a Tactical Unit which was DISBANDED 8-10 years ago.

So why was he driving like a dick while heading to the incinerator for refueling? He followed another police vehicle, this one marked and white.

But it was a black cruiser with that term on the left rear of the tailgate.

I joked to Sport that they were digging deep into the motor pool archives to have vehicles for all the new street duty, but he said that might be one of the newer vehicles on the road. Ugh.

Still chasing this mystery. It looked like an active cruiser, and seemed headed back to the incinerator for gasoline...like other city vehicles. Too odd.

heheh Google gave me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvH0utyr_w

My search pulled the same video, the search is somewhat similar to Detroit Tigers baseball...anywho, it's a cool video...

Found nothing official or Detroit specific. Some spec that they are TMUs or drug units, or maybe special trackers for bank moneypacks or LoJack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    So why was he driving like a dick while heading to the incinerator for refueling? He followed another police vehicle, this one marked and white.
    Seriously? Why? Because he can! That's how cops drive. I can remember getting rides to high school with the kid down the street whose father was a Deputy Chief years ago. Wow I will never forget that. Ever blow through Stoplights at major intersections? No one is going to give these guys tickets.

Tiger units were the reincarnation of the big four about 8 years ago. Each precinct had a Tiger unit with three officers and a Sergeant. The experiment ended when Detroit Police Department went to districts. The cars are just still in use by booster crews due to Detroit Police Department's lack of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I did, and came up empty.

Asked Sport, and he said it was a Tactical Unit which was DISBANDED 8-10 years ago.

But it was a black cruiser with that term on the left rear of the tailgate.

I joked to Sport that they were digging deep into the motor pool archives to have vehicles for all the new street duty, but he said that might be one of the newer vehicles on the road. Ugh.

Still chasing this mystery. It looked like an active cruiser, and seemed headed back to the incinerator for gasoline...like other city vehicles. Too odd.

A Tiger Unit is named after Tiger Woods - and errant driver, who many consider kind of a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Seriously? Why? Because he can! That's how cops drive. I can remember getting rides to high school with the kid down the street whose father was a Deputy Chief years ago. Wow I will never forget that. Ever blow through Stoplights at major intersections? No one is going to give these guys tickets.
    Yeah, one of the most frightening moments of my life was at the end of our ten-year high school reunion, when I foolishly agreed to run to a party store for more supplies...with a buddy who'd been with the DPD for a few years and was in the Gang Squad undercover. He drove.

In the center lane, at speeds upwards of 100mph, and blew through more than a few stoplights at major intersections.

To get more beer.

The world would be a better place if those charged with creating and enforcing the laws would simply obey them. All.

Thanks for the straight answer, Road_Warrior.

Cheers

"Booster Crew"...

Quote Originally Posted by Road_warrior View Post
    Tiger units were the reincarnation of the big four about 8 years ago. Each precinct had a Tiger unit with three officers and a Sergeant. The experiment ended when Detroit Police Department went to districts. The cars are just still in use by booster crews due to Detroit Police Department's lack of resources.
    All I can say is "welcome back".